Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Guess what my new night time solution is? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19654)

marvelous 07-04-2006 09:56 PM

Guess what my new night time solution is?

A prefold. Just as simple as that.

I have tried and had success with fitteds, but right now I'm trying to find something that fits and works for my heavy wetter. In my frustration, I trifolded an infant pf (fleece liner on top for the wetness) inside a toddler pf with a deluxe Stacinator cover. It worked like a dream. No leaks whatsoever and the back of the toddler pf wasn't even wet in the morning.

Sometimes going back to basics really works. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is going through some nightime woes.

christiansmom 07-04-2006 10:19 PM

Re: Guess what my new night time solution is?

It's great to read about your simple solution. I am just getting started (I don't even have a baby yet - foster mama) and have spent hours wondering what diapers, liners, covers, doublers, etc. I decided to just go with prefolds and covers to keep it simple for various reasons and have also purchased a deluxe Stacinator so it looks like I will be set.

Thanks for the reassuring post.

Lisa

mommypooh 07-05-2006 08:32 AM

I use 2 indian Premium prefolds for night with a home made wool cover. I have never had a leak. I can get away with one most nights but I don't like to chance it. MOst of the time when I take it off the top prefold is not even damp. Prefolds are the best at night in my opionion.

marvelous 07-05-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christiansmom
It's great to read about your simple solution. I am just getting started (I don't even have a baby yet - foster mama) and have spent hours wondering what diapers, liners, covers, doublers, etc. I decided to just go with prefolds and covers to keep it simple for various reasons and have also purchased a deluxe Stacinator so it looks like I will be set.

Thanks for the reassuring post.

Lisa

I think if you are just starting out, pfs are the way to go. You can try out other dipes as you go, but pfs just work.

Even if you are set with your stash, I would still recommend some fleece liners of some sort to wick wetness away from baby's skin especially overnight. The cheapest way to go would be to get some inexpensive fleece from Walmart or a fabric store and cut it up into strips. You don't even have to sew the edges, they won't unravel.

Best wishes to you! Feel free to ask questions on this board, the mamas on her are so helpful.

havanadaydreamin 07-05-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelous
A prefold. Just as simple as that.

I have tried and had success with fitteds, but right now I'm trying to find something that fits and works for my heavy wetter. In my frustration, I trifolded an infant pf (fleece liner on top for the wetness) inside a toddler pf with a deluxe Stacinator cover. It worked like a dream. No leaks whatsoever and the back of the toddler pf wasn't even wet in the morning.

Sometimes going back to basics really works. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is going through some nightime woes.

Yep, that is my solution as well. Except I use a premium PF instead of a toddler one.

mama23boys 07-05-2006 09:53 PM

gotta agree!!! i love my fitteds but im having great luck with my premium IPF with a 2layer BKT douber topped with fleece (nothing-butt-cloth) and little liam loniges....in fact i just order more doublers from melissa :)

keeperof3angels 07-05-2006 11:19 PM

How do you lay the prefolds in the cover? I used prefolds up to when DD was about 4 months old and then went to pockets and would love to use my prefolds again. When i used them before, i had proraps (which are too small now) and i just trifolded the prefold (actually i have flats) and laid it in the cover like that. I currently have about 3 covers with fleece on the inside and two wool covers one velcro one pull on. What is the best way to put a prefold on an older child (she's almost 11 months), just trifold it still or wrap it with a snappi or how??

TIA :goodvibes:

marvelous 07-06-2006 09:17 PM

I trifold the infant prefold. I do it the long way so it covers more. I top it with a fleece liner and lay it in the toddler prefold. I then use the same fold I do during the day when she is in a premium pf. (For us that is a bikini twist.) Snappi the whole thing and put the Deluxe Stac cover on, making sure everything is tucked in. Its a bit bulky, but dry mornings everytime!

For nights, I would definitely do some type of fold that covers(bikini, jelly roll, newspaper, etc) rather than just laying it in a cover. I prefer breathable covers, fleece or wool, for nights just because she is in one diaper for so long.

HTH! Good luck. :hugegrin:

myajdw 07-07-2006 11:38 AM

good to know all these prefolds i have will definately get some use lol...i also want to get a sewing machine and start making my own, they look easy enough lol.

hfitz5051 07-07-2006 11:42 AM

Glad you got it figured out! I remember using to pfs and wool over night before, because I "had to." They were just regular pfs, but it worked pretty well!