Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone know what to do with hotdogs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19672)

wittymomma 07-04-2006 11:28 PM

Anyone know what to do with hotdogs?

We were given a lot of hotdogs and sausages. Some strange ones. ( I could take a picture tomorrow of them lol) The strange ones are bigger then normal sausages/hotdogs.

I have made regular hotdogs with bread...
Tonight we had mac and cheese with hotdogs (fried them up first to get
them brown w/ onion) I mixed it all together and put them in the oven with
ritz on top and cheese.. yummy.

So... any other ideas?? Esp cheap ones?

Tyia Oh and my dh wont eat eggs, chicken or hot spicey stuff... if that helps.

mamaneedsanap 07-05-2006 01:35 AM

Re: Anyone know what to do with hotdogs?

Slice them up and put them in bbq sauce in a slow cooker.

toryandrew 07-05-2006 06:39 AM

Wrap them up in Pillsbury Crescent roll dough and make them into "pigs in a blanket"

mommyofsweetones 07-05-2006 07:34 AM

My mom used to make something similar to "pigs in a blanket", but she used bread when she didn't have any crescents or biscuits. She called them "weiner winks" and we loved them as kids. (Today you couldn't get me to eat a hotdog for anything....I just can't stand them.) Anyway, she just took a piece of bread, topped it with a piece of cheese, and laid the hotdog diagonally across the bread/cheese. Then take the opposite corners of the bread and fold them up over the top and secure with toothpicks. Last, she spread butter on the outside of the bread and baked on a baking sheet for maybe 30 minutes (don't remember, as I was a kid!) The bread got toasted and tasted great with the cheese and hotdogs....at least I thought so then! :)

Manna00 07-05-2006 08:52 AM

Make beanie weenie! Cut up the hot dog bits and open up some baked beans. I like to "doctor" my baked beans with brown sugar and mustard.. then I toss in some hot dogs (but DH can't have any chicken products, he's allergic... so this is rare becuase those Beef Franks are tastier than normal weiners and WAY more expensive).

wittymomma 07-05-2006 10:16 AM

oo thanks for the tips guys!! I made pigs in a blanket out of biscuits (sp? lol) I will have to try that bread idea. that sounds good. And the beans.. I dont know why I didnt think of that!

Ty guys!! Oh and feel free to add more!! I think I have a total of 12 boxes of those funky sausages and 4-5 packs of hotdogs... 4-5 packs of sausages (the normal ones lol. we eat those with bread so that isnt too hard to use up lol)

mamato5angels 07-05-2006 12:14 PM

BBQ dogs.
Basically it is Ketchup, mustard, a little vinegar, sugar, worchester sauce, onions. I cut the dogs in in fourths length wise and then in half. Mix all the sauce together in a big fry pan add hot dogs and cook. They will curl some. The sauce is really good on potatoes. Email me if you want the exact recipe.

raceNzanesmom 07-05-2006 12:17 PM

Hot Dog Delicious!

Lightly brown a medium chopped onion in a small amount of oil, add 14 oz or so of ketchup and about 1/3 c of sweetner (I prefer brown sugar), add 8-12 hot dogs that have been scored in a few places, move everything around so the dogs are covered well, cover and simmer 15 minutes or so. Serve on buns and spoon some sauce over the top as the condiment. Yummy! I have a grown cousin that asks for these every time he visits my mom. :mrgreen:

ETA: Can you find out what the weird sausage is? That would help. Is it like a polish sausage?? Brat??

wittymomma 07-05-2006 01:24 PM

lol guess that would help huh. I took a picture of them and a picture of my freezer. lol. We do have a few other things that are on the door so no I dont only have these lol. I recounted though and I have 5 hot dogs... and the rest you can see lol.

Ty again! :-)

(Ps I dont know which code on Photobucket to post so here are the links to click on to see the pictures...)

Sausage themselves:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...y/29b7870b.jpg

My freezer lol:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...y/05868fc1.jpg

raceNzanesmom 07-05-2006 03:38 PM

Wow, that's a lot of sausage. :mrgreen:

You could slice it up with some sauce- like they use for cocktail weiners, it's grape jelly and.... chile sauce maybe?? Stir fry it with veggies and serve over rice or noodles, fry it with some cabbage and onions, use it place of ham in scalloped potatoes and ham, put it on the grill (I like to dip it in mustard), slice it and fry up to go with eggs and/or pancakes for breakfast (or a breakfast dinner), maybe slice it and put it in with fresh green beans, new potatoes and onions in the Crock Pot.

Be creative, you might find something you really like. That was great they were given to you!