Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   !Need Advice ASAP! DD crawling out of crib. What do I do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199454)

bubblesteach 08-06-2007 07:03 PM

!Need Advice ASAP! DD crawling out of crib. What do I do?

DD just started crawling out of her crib tonight. Tomorrow we plan on breaking it down into a toddler bed b/c if we don't she'll break her neck b/c it's a long fall. We are in the middle of a move and just got our stuff today. She's been in a pack n play for the past week and we've virtually gotten no sleep b/c she is waking up every 1-3 hours and gettting up. I have no doubt that's what will be in store for us tonight. We were so happy to finaly have our bed and not sleep on the floor and now we have to go through another sleepless night. Please tell me what you do to keep your toddler (mine's 18months) in the bed. We are not opposed to spanking but would prefer to use it as a last resort. Do you make your child just stay in there room? Do you make them stay in the bed? What do you do when they want to get up and play? Please please please assist me w/this. We are just at a loss and want to be consisten and make sure she is taught what our expectations are. We do shut the door at night to her room b/c we tend to turn the tv up louder at night. I thought about buying one of those tv monitors so I wouldn't have to open her door every time I want to see what she's doing. Please offer some advice. Thanks so much.

I just don't know what to do and I'm about in tears.
:dunno:

MomaGreenBean 08-07-2007 05:51 AM

Re: !Need Advice ASAP! DD crawling out of crib. What do I do?

Is her room dark? I know if our room is dark our baby is not so into getting up to play in the middle of the night. If it was me, I'd take off the rail of the crib or at least lower it and put a soft landing so if she does fall out she doesn't get hurt. Or just turn it in to a toddler bed like you said and baby proof the room really well.

Personally, I'd also bring her into my room so I could keep tabs on her, but that's not an option for all families. I think I'd not spank because 18 months is pretty young and she's most likely doing it out of curiosity and not direct disobedience, IYKWIM?

Toughie. Hope you find something that works!

Cara

mamabear 08-07-2007 06:35 AM

Oh, mama... I wish I could help you get some sleep! :hugs:

I have four, and my first three went through the same thing. We co-sleep here until 6-7mos then move the babe into their own bed (crib). They each started climbing out of their crib and coming in to sleep with me - they still do! Well, not my 11yo :giggle: . Anyway, when they started climbing out, we put a twin mattress on the floor of their room, got special sheets (snowflakes, favorite color, flannel, etc.), and made it a very nice space for them. Bedtime was just as much fun, and when they woke in the night to come in to me, they didn't have that drop and thump when they hit the floor.

When she climbs out of bed, where does she go? Moving to a strange home is tough for some kids - different smells, sounds, mapping... I wouldn't spank her for climbing out of her bed. I know you're frustrated :hugs: but I think the greatest thing you can do for her is to try to understand that it's a phase that smart kids go through (Life is too much fun to stay asleep), and be patient with her until she gets in to a groove. Hang in there, mama - I've been there three times, and my Seamus just turned one, so I'll be there with you again soon! :lostit:

If she's waking to play in her room, maybe you can take all but a few toys and books out of her room, leave a nightlight in there and gate the open door before you turn in. This way, if she does wake, she'll be on floor level (with her mattress), have a couple of toys and some light to play for a minute, which would buy you some time before you tend to her. Until she starts climbing over the gate...she'll figure that out, too, if she hasn't already! :spit: She may even doze off again on her own.

Be patient, mama. :hugs: It's one night that she's climbed out. What is the nighttime routine like at your house? Do you do the same thing every night?

teaghansmama 08-07-2007 06:38 AM

spanking isn't the answer here
a move is a BIG deal for a little one
most likely she is feeling anxious and spanking will only make that worse

i know you are anxious too and not getting sleep doesnt help the sitution
but please be patient with her
transition her to a big girl bed and it wont be long til she's more comfortable and loves to snuggle in her bed

Aimsley9 08-07-2007 07:04 AM

When we moved our dd to a toddler bed (14 months) we just made sure that her room was safe. We put her to bed and shut her door. Most of the time she would get up and lay in front of her door and look out. We just kept going in every once in awhile and putting her back to bed. Eventually she would fall asleep. It is hard in the beginning, but try to see it from her side. There is nothing to stop her from getting out of bed so why wouldn't she.
A move is a big deal and so is moving to a toddler bed. She will adjust to both, but it will take some time and patience. :goodvibes:

Suzanne 08-07-2007 08:25 AM

My son did the same thing at 15 months, and we put him in a toddler bed. First off, you have to completly childproof the room, because I don't think it is reasonable to expect an 18 month old to stay in the bed all the time at first. The first nap that Cooper had in his bed, he got out and wandered around. I went it to check in on him, and found him snoozing in his closet (it was so cute!) I just put him back in his bed, and then the next few times that I heard him wandering, I jsut went in his room and redirected him. Really, it wasn't that hard to get him used to the idea.

jenn5388 08-07-2007 10:47 AM

Okay.. First, Try to Calm down.

Miranda was climbing out of her crib at 15 months, I broke it down to a toddler bed and Freaked because I assumed she wouldn't stay in her bed.

Not a problem all night.. and it never has been. I've never once found her Spread across her floor like I figured I would.. and it's been a year and a half. lol

But, We NORMALLY don't have Issues. Sometimes there is kicking and hitting and screaming at bedtime.. and it's taken out on her bedroom door. (now i remember why i didn't wanna buy the tinkerbell door. lol) We put a Door knob cover on the inside of her door, so she can't open it, which probably sounds horrible to alot of you, but we do what we have to. She does stay in her bed at bedtime 6 days out of the 7.. we came up with a bedtime Routine, and she's taken to it very well. We brush our teeth, wash our face then we read a story that she picks. then it's time for sleep. and i leave her room, shut the door, and that's the last I heard of her, unless she wants something to drink, but I normally give it to her before we go to bed.

maybe a nice little bedtime routine if you don't have one might help put her to sleep, and keep her there. I can tell ya, it's alot easier reading a bedtime story now that she has a toddler bed. Christmas this year we are moving up to a BIG GIRL BED! :) I could wait on it, but I wanna do it now and get it over with. :) I'm nervous about that move, I'm not sure why.. but I'm worried it's going to be challenging. Just like you are worried now.

There could be lots of reasons she's not sleeping well, but the first one that comes to mind is the move you mentioned. Big changes Disrupt alot of things.. I've heard of children that wouldn't eat after moving.. So I guess it could be worse. I'm going to guess this night waking will be short lived, however the crawling out of the crib won't be, and that needs to be done.
It will probably get worse before it gets better simply because moving to a different house and now changing beds, Yeah. but it will get better, I know it's hard to be paitent when you are SUPER tired.

I hope everything gets figured out over there soon. :)

ashleynjacy 08-07-2007 10:52 AM

I got a crib tent for the same issue. It has been my saving grace. She actually doesn't fight to go to sleep anymore. Get one, they are great!

Calideedle 08-07-2007 10:53 AM

A move is HUGE for a child! Spanking defiantly isnt right in this situation, IMO!

My DD is 20months and started climbing out of her crib a few weeks ago. SO I broke it down into a toddler bed. She only lays in her crib for naps.

I'd definatly try and help her get used to the new house!