Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   if you EBF and getting pg? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19995)

blondeviolin 07-06-2006 07:11 AM

if you EBF and getting pg?

So The Husband and I aren't on any birth control after Abby. I know EBF isn't 100% effective, but nothing is. The big factor was the fact the we want more children and aren't opposed to them being close together. ANYWAY...so we all know that nothing is 100% effective, so here's my worry:

We're EBFing. It's going great. Abby latches on well, she eats well, yadda yadda yadda. She'll be six weeks on Monday, but I'm kinda' wondering about this now. What if you were EBFing and you ovulated and then got pregnant on your first ovulation. So you know...you had no period to let you know that you were menstruating again because you got pregnant that first cycle. So how would you know you were pregnant because you wouldn't know to look for that missed period, kwim?

:headscratch:

Kellyd 07-06-2006 07:45 AM

Re: if you EBF and getting pg?

I'd watch for pregnancy symptoms- and if you're really concerned just go ahead and test. You can get tests at the dollar tree for just $1.

bfoster2000 07-06-2006 08:36 AM

Here's an excellent link about breastfeeding and fertility. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

I think I remember reading somewhere (it may have even been in this article) that most women don't ovulate for the first couple of cycles when they start back. Some do, but not most.

Like the pp said, as far as I know, all you can really do is watch for pregnancy symptoms and test if you think you may be. I have heard of women not figuring it out until they were 6 months along but I know when I got pregnant, I noticed changes in my breasts and in my milk right away. Part of that may have been psychological because I knew I was pregnant...good luck and I'm sure things will work out just hte way they're supposed to!

blessed with boys 07-09-2006 07:49 PM

Eli is 13 months old and I havent had a ppaf, in fact I dont normally ovulate on my own anyways...well guess what! I ovulated on the 5th and there was no mistaking it....major cramps, (it hurt to sit down even) and tons of ewcm too it was kinda gross lol....
Plus if your ebf and your baby is under 6 months old its a slim chance you'll get pregnant.

AmandaHW 07-11-2006 11:39 AM

This is why I have 2 sons that are less than 16 months apart! I have not had a period since February 2004 !!!(like clockwork before then) I got a little suspicious because of sore breasts and exhaustion, although I didn't really believe it even with my positive test! Bottom line, yes you can get pregnant without ever having a period, yes you can ovulate before your first period. My brother and sister are 1 year and 1 week apart and my brother was EBF.

ThreeBunniesMoma 07-17-2006 11:26 PM

With dd #1 I never had AF and never felt any ovulation pains like I normally do. We used protection off and on. When dd#1 was 9mo I found out I was pg with dd #2. My signs were fatuige and my abdomn felt "harder" than usual. I took a test and sure enough! lol They are a day shy of 19mos apart.

trishmom2five 07-19-2006 01:47 PM

It happened to me after I had my Abby. I knew something was up when I started having symptoms. First was the smell at a restaurant, we walked pass the bar and it made me gag to be so close to the alcohol smell. I bought a test that week. I was only 6 weeks when I went to the Dr, my Abby and Phoebe are 11 months apart.
GL!

Tiggs 07-19-2006 06:55 PM

We got an unexpected 5th wedding anniversary present that arrived nine months later :)

Our first was EBF and was 7 months old at the time. As long as you're okay with the possibility of having another one really soon take the chance but if you'd like more space and more control over things take some percautions.

Fullhouse 07-19-2006 07:04 PM

I have 3, 3 yo and under and have nursed atleast 1 the whole time.

Sweetforestcat 07-19-2006 08:41 PM

I've heard of it happening as the previous posters said but my DS is almost 21 months and has been breastfed since he was born. No PG here yet though so I do not think it will happen until he is weaned completely for us.