Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ANyone want my Chicken N Dumplings recipe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20005)

Bluemoon 07-06-2006 07:17 AM

ANyone want my Chicken N Dumplings recipe?

It's really yummy!!
Barbara

mommyofsweetones 07-06-2006 07:56 AM

Re: ANyone want my Chicken N Dumplings recipe?

Post away, Mama! I'd love it! :)

jelynn 07-06-2006 08:16 AM

Did someone say dumplings? YUM!:thumbsup: Post it, please!

lilmama2dsndd 07-06-2006 08:26 AM

I do! I have been experimenting with different chicken & dumplin receipes lately and haven't found one close to my grandma's (she died years ago without ever writing any of her recipes down :cry: ). I would love to try yours!

absoluteprncss 07-06-2006 08:30 AM

Oh me to! Is it thicker like gravy or thin like soup?

Bluemoon 07-06-2006 08:34 AM

2.5 pounds of chicken pieces (leg quarters are fine) I buy the bag at Aldi
2 quarts of tap water (8 cups)
6 chicken bouillon cubes or more according to taste I use 6-9 depending on how much flavor the chicken gave the broth
1/4 teaspoon pepper & garlic powder

This part needs done in the morning or afternoon. Boil chicken in water with pepper and garlic salt. When Chicken is done take it out to cool. Keep the both it made but let it cool. Once the pan is cool enough put it in the fridge and let the fat rise to the top and harden. take that part out and threw away.
Next debone the chicken and add back into the both. Add the boulilon cubes and cook on low til everything is hot again and the boullion has melted/mixed well.
Now its time to mix up the dumplings

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
2-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon each salt & sugar

Mix everything up well and drop bite size pieces in the pot. Put the lid on for about 15min on low/simmer. Do not peak at them. they cook from the steam and the boiling broth.
I always serve them over mashed potatoes.
It seems time consuming but its not. I throw the frozen chicken in the pan in the morning and cook on med heat til afternnon. So thats takes abotu 5 min. Then taken them out and put broth in frigde- less than 5 mins. Then the deboning and dumpling making take me about 15 mins uninterrupted. Hubby does the peeling and diceing of the tattos for me :hugs: since I am normally nursing around that time and he knows if he wants to eat dinner he better pitch in:laugh:
Let me know how you like them!
Barbara
ps when I am in a hurry I skip the fridge part..no one seems to notice. But its not as healthy:goodvibes:

Bluemoon 07-06-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absoluteprncss
Oh me to! Is it thicker like gravy or thin like soup?

. Sometimes it is thinner than other times but it never gets thick like gravy. If we eat all th edumpling and there is still lots of broth and chicken left, I save it for lunch the next day and add some cooked gg noodle to it. Its really yummy like that too :giggle:
Barbara

mrsott 07-07-2006 01:57 PM

mmmm my mouth is drooling!

mrsott 07-27-2006 12:58 PM

I am going to try this right now!! But I'll probably add more spices to the chicken, a bay leaf too, and perhaps some onion and carrot.... I'll let you know how it turns out! I'm also using just chicken breasts... dk meat creeps me out.

mrsott 07-28-2006 08:46 PM

I made it!! Delicious and super yum! Lots of leftovers were made, but none survived even 2 hrs! I would add more onion and carrots, and celery too.... very easy and tasty. Thanks! It has been approved and added to the list of dinner items on rotation.... tempted tp try it w/ corn bread dumplings too!