Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The hospital called today, and I can't have my baby there *UPDATE ON PAGE 2* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201587)

Hopper Graphics 08-09-2007 04:13 PM

The hospital called today, and I can't have my baby there *UPDATE ON PAGE 2*

Yes, that's correct. I got a phone call saying that after reviewing my birth plan (that I went over with them almost a month ago, and it has my OB's signature on it) that I will not be allowed to have my baby there. That is, unless I throw my birth plan out the window, which is not an option. Apparently, I would be a huge liability and no nurse they have employed there would take me on as a patient.

I mentioned coming in a month earlier and had a meeting with the head of the L&D dept, just so we could go over all of this, and she was OK with it all. Apparently, said woman has now resigned and this woman is now in charge. She was very nice, but said I would be better off at a birth center. I told her that there were no birth centers in Arkansas. She suggested a homebirth, and I told her it would be $2000 out of pocket for the midwife (after insurance). I asked what would happen if I came in to their hospital and refused everything, and she said they would "treat me" and my baby according to hospital policy, and that I had absolutely no say. I know this is not correct, so I said my OB was on board with me and she didn't see any of this as a problem. The L&D lady said they had contacted my OB (yesterday), and that she was aware that these policies had to be followed.

At almost 37 weeks, they should have contacted me MUCH earlier than this, as she said they've been looking over my birth plan for a week or two now. Apparently, it's "not an option" to not have continuous fetal monitoring, an IV, hourly vaginal exams, and the baby toted off to the nursery and given Vit K, eye goop, and the Hep B vax. I told her it WAS an option, and my choice, and those are issues I will not back down on.

She went on to say the room they had showed me during the tour (for non-medicated births...has a whirlpool) would be under construction, and I couldn't use it. They're ripping it out, and transforming the room into something else, because the room has been used once in the 5 years it's been there. I told her I specifically asked if this would be taking place before mid-september, and was told no. She said "that might be the case, but we're not letting anyone use it."

I told her I wanted to speak with my husband, OB, and my doula before continuing the conversation (as I was now in tears), and that more than likely, we would be going to a different hospital.

My doula has been making phone calls all day (as have I)...trying to find a midwife who will work for less than $2K since I'm already so far along, or an OB at a known natural friendly hospital in Little Rock.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead:

F*$@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrunchyMama0607 08-09-2007 04:15 PM

Re: The hospital called today, and I can't have my baby there

awww momma im so sorry! thats mean of them!!! *HUGS* hoping you find someone ASAP! :hugs:

hackermd 08-09-2007 04:16 PM

my gosh. I'm sorry for your frustration... and hospital policies that totally NEED to be reviewed for the times! :hugs:

Mommyof2Princesses 08-09-2007 04:17 PM

I'm so sorry. I cannot imagine having to deal with this at 37 weeks. I hope something gets worked out so you can have your baby how you want too!!! Many :hugs:

Hopper Graphics 08-09-2007 04:19 PM

DH and I are going to have a talk about this tonight, but I'm going to see what he thinks about an unassisted birth here at the house, as we live less than 3 minutes from a local hospital. Granted...the local one is AWFUL, I just don't know yet. I doubt my doula would be on board for that either.

ethansemi 08-09-2007 04:22 PM

That is NOT right!!!!!!!!! But true....my mom and best friends work LD at a hospital and birth plans to everyone (except them) are not even looked at!!! Much less respected!! When I got preg my mom said,"Your NOT delivering here!" I'm just glad they looked at your plan and called you instead of being stuck in labor with them doing everything wrong!! I hope you can find a MW and do a HB!!!! :hugs: :hugs:

Mirasmom 08-09-2007 04:25 PM

Hourly vag exams are actually DANGEROUS especially if your water is broken. That lady's crazy. As I actually don't agree with a lot of your birth plan (I'm not being mean, just honest as I'm a nurse) even I think they are being unreasonable. And it most certainly IS your choice to not have immunizations and you could SUE them over this. I think this lady just doesn't want to work with you and is just trying to get rid of you to make her life easier. Unfortunately she's costing her hospital a lot of money by making you leave! What an idiot!

Mirasmom 08-09-2007 04:25 PM

Oh- and NOT ALL NURSES ARE LIKE THAT! :mrgreen:

MommyMommyMommy 08-09-2007 04:27 PM

Whoa! :eek: You probably didn't expect that when you woke up this morning!

:hugs: Hugs and prayers that you get to have the perfect birth for you. :hugs:

Hopper Graphics 08-09-2007 04:27 PM

I know not all nurses are like that. My mom is a nurse, my SIL is a nurse, MIL is one, and my sister is in nursing school. :)