Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   interesting BC information.. For everyone.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203426)

katzmark06 08-12-2007 06:38 PM

interesting BC information.. For everyone..

http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

Interesting rates:goodvibes:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 08-12-2007 06:41 PM

Re: interesting BC information.. For everyone..

wow!:eek:

Shadowwolf549 08-12-2007 06:45 PM

Wow! I can't believe the sponge has a higher rate of pregnancy than withdrawal method! :eek:

dirtdartwife 08-12-2007 06:55 PM

questionable, IMO.

Speaking of NFP, I question those rates on that chart. Here's the reason:
Quote:

The WHO (World Health Organization) has performed several large-scale trials that have had a "failure rate" of between 0.3 and 3%, which is as good as any artificial form of birth control. One very large trial performed on about 20,000 Indian women showed a failure rate of less than 0.3%
I'd have to say that the only reason the % for "failure" on NFP is so "high" is because it's so easily reversible each month that at any given time, a couple can switch gears and say "yes" to getting pregnant. And docs are SO fast to insinuate that when a woman comes in pregnant and says she uses NFP, they assume it's a "failure", when the vast majority of couples that use NFP don't see it as a failure.

don't know if I explained that very well, but I question the percentage of failure for NFP because it's typically not a pass/fail system for NFP. kwim?

I need sleep... I don't think I'm explaining this very well. :hide: Can someone else that also practices NFP chime in and help me out please? :blush:

4boys1girlforme 08-12-2007 07:07 PM

Maybe the withdrawal method is better than we all thought!:giggle:

dirtdartwife 08-12-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysforme (Post 1585177)
Maybe the withdrawal method is better than we all thought!:giggle:

I don't know about better... last time I used it (my early 20's), my then boyfriend wasn't too thrilled with it. :rofl: Kinda follows the "interuptus" part of the name seriously and I don't know about anyone else, but barring any emergency, I don't want anything interrupting! :rofl:

flamingogirl 08-12-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdartwife (Post 1585131)
questionable, IMO.

Speaking of NFP, I question those rates on that chart. Here's the reason:

I'd have to say that the only reason the % for "failure" on NFP is so "high" is because it's so easily reversible each month that at any given time, a couple can switch gears and say "yes" to getting pregnant. And docs are SO fast to insinuate that when a woman comes in pregnant and says she uses NFP, they assume it's a "failure", when the vast majority of couples that use NFP don't see it as a failure.

don't know if I explained that very well, but I question the percentage of failure for NFP because it's typically not a pass/fail system for NFP. kwim?

I need sleep... I don't think I'm explaining this very well. :hide: Can someone else that also practices NFP chime in and help me out please? :blush:

:thumbsup: :agreed:

Here's your fellow NFP'er chiming in! :)

It's important to distinguish NFP from other "methods" such as withdrawal, calendar, rhythm, etc. The key to the effectiveness of NFP is COMPLIANCE with the method. If your goal is to delay pregnancy, then you must follow the rules for maximized efficacy. The same goes for if you're using NFP to try and achieve pregnancy (yes, this happens...part of the beauty and versatility of NFP!)...gotta follow the rules for it to be most effective.

Many reliable studies have been conducted and show that the rates of effectiveness (if you're talking avoiding pregnancy) are about 99%.

For anyone that is interested, here is a great explanation: http://ccli.org/nfp/basics/effectiveness-p01.php

:)

Fullhouse 08-12-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingogirl (Post 1585304)
:thumbsup: :agreed:

Here's your fellow NFP'er chiming in! :)

It's important to distinguish NFP from other "methods" such as withdrawal, calendar, rhythm, etc. The key to the effectiveness of NFP is COMPLIANCE with the method. If your goal is to delay pregnancy, then you must follow the rules for maximized efficacy. The same goes for if you're using NFP to try and achieve pregnancy (yes, this happens...part of the beauty and versatility of NFP!)...gotta follow the rules for it to be most effective.

Many reliable studies have been conducted and show that the rates of effectiveness (if you're talking avoiding pregnancy) are about 99%.

For anyone that is interested, here is a great explanation: http://ccli.org/nfp/basics/effectiveness-p01.php

:)

I was fine 100% using true NFP! When I bent the rules a little and used a condom during ovulation I got pregnant :blush: Oops!

Pam221 08-12-2007 08:23 PM

looks like this is from 1997

joyful mother 08-12-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fullhouse (Post 1585379)
I was fine 100% using true NFP! When I bent the rules a little and used a condom during ovulation I got pregnant :blush: Oops!

I think the NFP numbers are way off too! Many large families use NFP most would assume because they got pregnant AGAIN it must be an oops! but many of them are trying for another.

Yeah most people I know who got pregnant using NFP to avoid, knew they were taking a chance but went ahead and did it anyway, I'd say it rarely is a shock to someone when they find out they are pregnant, they usual suspect that could be the case.