Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Experienced cloth mamas what would you recomend... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204136)

mama2jack 08-13-2007 06:48 PM

Experienced cloth mamas what would you recomend...

for my best friend? She has a 15 mo old and is prego w/ #2 due in jan. She needs/ wants to switch to cloth dipes ASAP due to financial reasons. She is hoping for some $$ from her parents to help her buy some diapers. She Loves my bG2.0 so she is wanting to get some of those ( I am hoping to find her some on fsot) and I am recommending a combo of prefolds & covers and some pockets or aio. I won't be able to help her too much w/ the pfs cause I will be learning those along w/ her.:blush: She also works out of the home so she will be needing something a little easier for others to use. What would you buy if you were starting from scratch and needed to diaper a toddler and a newborn?(please include your reasons why) I will be updating with how much $$ she has to spend. :goodvibes:

DF spoke w/ her father and although they have no nailed down an exact amout they were thinking $300 to $400

mama2jack 08-13-2007 07:36 PM

Re: Experienced cloth mamas what would you recomend...

Wow this moved fast :giggle:

CrunchyMama0607 08-13-2007 07:44 PM

I would recommend some cheap AIO's in different sizes, maybe mediums for her toddler and smalls for her newborn :) I've never diapered a newborn (we started @ 2mths) so I don't know for sure how PF's would go :blush: Hope that helps!! :)

Irishmommy 08-13-2007 08:09 PM

I've diapered at all stages and I'd say pf and covers and a few pockets are the best way to go. Pf are so inexpensive and you just can't go wrong with those. I've tried just about every kind of cloth diaper system out there and I always come back to my pf and covers. It is the easiest system to launder in my opinion. I also like pockets for outings and night time when you're just too asleep to figure out what you are doing!

emcap 08-13-2007 08:11 PM

I think 300-400 is a great amount to start with. I diapered two boys (2 weeks and 2 years old) on 18 BG 2.0 for about 2 mos. I did wash about every 1.5 days, but that really isn't bad at all. I don't see why she can't get BGs on that kind of money if thats what she wants. She could get 21 of them for $361.20(12pk, 6pk, and 3pk) or get a 12 pack and some other diapers.
There was a thread about diapering on a budget, about how everyone could build a stash on $150, but I can't find it right now, maybe it will give you some ideas
HTH and good luck! :goodvibes:
Emily

TJgirl 08-13-2007 08:12 PM

I would probably get prefolds and BSWW in both sizes, along with some pockets that she could prestuff for daycare and babysitters. That should leave her with some money left over from the 3-400 budget to buy fun AIOs or pockets to try out and see what she likes and what works for each kid.

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 08-13-2007 08:18 PM

I think if I were in her shoes I would do a 12 pack of BG OS and then a complete pre-fold and cover package. That would give her more than enough dipes IMO.

dvrgrl38 08-13-2007 08:19 PM

If it were only for financial reasons I'd say prefolds and covers. I thought I'd hate them, but end up LOVING them. I prefer pins to snappis, but babysitters just trifold them into a cover.
Since you mentioned easy of use for babysitters/daycare, I would recommend somw OS pockets with some xs diapers or prefolds for the itty bitty stage. HTH!

cereal527 08-13-2007 08:19 PM

i would recommend mostly prefolds and covers in different sizes and then maybe a couple of one size pockets. When I first started with my ds I just got prefolds and covers and I know it was under $300 it may have even been under $200. Best of luck in your search.

frogandtoad 08-13-2007 08:24 PM

haven't read pp ...

I recommend fitteds/pfs *especially* if $$$ is a big concern. I love all the other "fancy" dipes, but when it comes right down to it, poop stinks! And, PFs/fitted hold it as well as the others! JMO.