Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Well hell..what do I do now? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204230)

Lisa-Rachelle 08-13-2007 08:50 PM

Well hell..what do I do now?

So, after making some phonecalls, I found out DH's insurance through his employer will NOT cover the birth center or any of its affiliated costs. Not even the prenatal care.

How depressing! It's where I had DD, and we were on state insurance at that time...so we didnt even pay partial. I love, love, love the birth center, and I so badly wanted to be cared for by the same Midwife that delivered Gemma and took care of me when I had a placenta complication after coming home. Now I just don't know what to do.

The insurance company doesnt cover ANY Nurse Midwives within a 200 mile radius, and doesnt cover any other birth centers.

Paying out of pocket for it just isnt realistic. We just barely squeek by on our bills now....and I know we wont have a way to come up with $5000 by the time I'm 30 weeks pregnant (per birth center legal requirments).

So now I'm looking at having to see a regular OB! The thought just makes me ill. I saw one for the first 13 weeks of my last pregnancy, and have no desire to see one ever again. The way I view this process is pretty much 180 degrees from the way they do...and I dont look forward to all the poking, proding and conflicts.

What do I do!? :cry: I just do NOT want to have this baby in the Hospital!!!!!

lombardowa 08-13-2007 08:54 PM

Re: Well hell..what do I do now?

:hugs: I understand. Insurance in East TN is all about politics and money. I know how you feel.

Mommy2LivandNoah 08-13-2007 08:55 PM

Have a home birth..haha...get the OB care, but skip the hospital birth..:) Outside of that..I'm not sure mama...:hugs: Hopefully you will figure something out.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 08-13-2007 09:02 PM

:hugs: i hope your able to get it worked out so you can somehow get the birthing center birth you want:goodvibes:

mhaddon 08-13-2007 09:04 PM

I'd say go for the homebirth! That is if everything went good last time :goodvibes: Good luck, I know everything seems so much more frustrating when you are prego

MamaBetsy 08-13-2007 09:06 PM

Have you tried to get Medicaid? Even on top of your insurance...I don't know how that would work, but you might look into it. And then it could still cover your birth center?

hungrytree 08-13-2007 09:59 PM

Did you have your DD at the Lisa Ross Birthing Center? Where are you in East Tennessee? I'm sort of in the same boat. If you are in Knoxville there is a practice at Fort Sanders that has two midwives that deliver at the hospital. I have insurance through a hospital so I have a 2000 dollar co-pay if I want to use the birthing center...
I'm going to check out the midwives tomorrow but have had good recomendations from my cousin and a woman at church. I know it is still a hospital but at least it would be midwives instead of an OB... If you aren't in the Knoxville area then disregard all my advice and just take a huge hug. I know how you are feeling :hugs:

mama2madj 08-13-2007 11:07 PM

have you checked if you still qualify financially for medicaid?? atleast in fl you can get it even if you have other ins, just hasta be filed as secondary...so if your ins doesnt pay anything of it, medicaid still will

Bunny 08-13-2007 11:22 PM

It's a long shot, but can DH drop you from his insurance (temporarily) so you can get on state ins., have the baby where you want, then DH add you back?

Ok, that's it. :rolleyes: I'm done with the computer for the night. I'm not trying to make light of your situation. I'm tired and that's when I do most of my "creative" (read as unrealistic) thinking. I hope you can figure something out and have the birth you want for your LO. GL mama. :goodvibes:

Lisa-Rachelle 08-14-2007 06:10 AM

Well, the only potential problem with dropping our regular insurance to try and get on Medicaid is that they will request that DH's boss fill out paperwork stating whether insurance is offered to the employee and their family, and the cost. So, really...they could turn around and say "sorry, you cant get on Medicaid, because you already have the capability of being on regular insurance."

I know that at the moment, they wont put anyone on Medicare except small children or pregnant women, and even then...it's tough.

My only other thought was to (since I still have my maiden name legally) go in and apply for just myself and Gemma. And since Im not employed, I'd probably get it. But, they'd want some type of proof of how my bills were being paid (family member, disability benefits etc...) which might get sticky.

Oh I just dont know!