Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Natural deodorant that actually works, anyone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204250)

mom2mybumpy 08-13-2007 09:21 PM

Natural deodorant that actually works, anyone?

Ok, embarrassing question, but I have read enough to convince me that Secret & all those are unhealthy and have made the switch to natural deodorants, but phew! Can't find one that really works! :blush: I have tried Tom's, Trader Joe's and Melaleuca Naturals with unsatisfactory results. :yuck: Kiss My Face Liquid Rock had promise, but I feel like I'm still looking. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

Boxergirl 08-13-2007 09:46 PM

Re: Natural deodorant that actually works, anyone?

First I'll tell you all the ones I used and ended up stinking to high heaven :laugh:

Melaleuca, Jason, Tom's, Avalon organics, and even that crystal thing.... I kept using these because I wanted all natural once I got pg with dc#1. About 18 months ago I ran across an organic product line called miessence organics that are made in Australia. They actually have the world's first certified organic skin care range but also have shampoos, cosmetics, and of course, deodorant :mrgreen: I use the Tahitian breeze and love it! No more stink - even after working out...I'm truly amazed. I actually liked the products so much that I signed up as a rep because I knew I'd go broke within a few months from ordering everything I wanted. :laugh:

Here's a link about the deodorant if you're interested:

http://naturalskin.mionegroup.com/product/13302

tatumsmom 08-13-2007 09:50 PM

I love the crystal. It works awesome for me and it last forever.

nadjarea 08-14-2007 08:25 AM

I use Jason right now...but I'd love to try the crystal.

sandrc 08-14-2007 08:56 AM

haven't found any deodorants that will keep me from stinking. i read somewhere on here about someone putting a pinch of baking soda in their palm with a squirt of lotion and mixing it up and putting it on your underarms. i've been using that and it really does work. just make sure you use just a pinch of baking soda or it will irritate your skin.

(i really tested this out. i have body odor bad when i don't wear deodorant... and when i do sometimes. i put the b.s. and lotion (unscented) on and a few hours later i went to help my dad work. in a 110 degree warehouse moving huge snack and drink vending machines. i was also running (litterally, must have a good bra) out in the sun and back and forth getting tools and such. i was dripping sweat (my whole body and all my clothes were soaked through) i was wearing a short sleeve cotton t shirt, thick denim jeans, the regular undergarments, thick socks and steel toed boots. we were out in the heat for about 3 hours and i still didn't stink! didn't smell at all when i got home and shed my clothes for a shower! so for me the baking soda and lotion works well. sometimes it's a pain to mix up and put on when i'm short on time, but it really only takes a minute and it's so worth it!

keithmommy 08-14-2007 12:05 PM

I have tried several, but right now I am using Natures Gate. It's not wonderful, but I have tried alot, and I haven't found anything to work as good as an antiperspent. Whatever brand I use at the time, I usually put some powder on with it, and that seems to do the trick for me. You could just see if that works before buying something new.

kendrea 08-17-2007 08:09 AM

I just read this online (on Myspace) today and wanted to share:

Deodorant: Easy Greening

By Melissa Breyer, Producer, Care2 Green Living

In ancient Egypt, long before the cosmetics industry hijacked personal care, body odor was disguised with citrus oils and spices. By the twentieth century marketers had convinced the population that social success was a stretch unless body odor was quashed. The problem is that the products promoted in this scheme may not be the best for our health. Find out the risks associated with deodorants and antiperspirants, and learn about homemade and natural alternatives.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: The Issues
Body odor is the result of bacteria (naturally found on skin) which feeds on sweat. Antiperspirants work by plugging your pores with aluminum salts, blocking the route for sweat to exit your body. Deodorants don’t reduce the amount of sweat, but make the skin acidic and thus unfavorable for the odor-generating bacteria.
The problems with non-natural, commercial products start with aluminium compounds (particularly Aluminium chlorohydrate) which are easily absorbed through the skin. Aluminum compounds can accumulate in the brain and have been linked to Alzheimer’s.

Next are parabens (short for para-hydroxybenzoate) a class of preservatives widely used in cosmetics and personal care products that are being investigated for their possible role in breast cancer. Parabens mimic the activity of estrogen in the body. Since estrogen promotes the growth of breast cancer cells and a woman is eight times more likely to develop breast cancer in the part of the breast closest to the underarm, scientists are studying the connection. A 2004 study found parabens in 18 of 20 samples from breast tumors. The research is considered inconclusive in linking the use of deodorants to breast cancer, but it has sparked further studies and is enough to have us breaking out in a sweat.

And then there’s propylene glycol—a humectant originally developed as an anti-freeze. Found in many commercial deodorants and antiperspirants, it is a neurotoxin known to cause contact dermatitis, kidney damage, and liver damage. In propylene glycol’s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), published by the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety, workers are urged to avoid skin contact with the toxic chemical as it may cause eye and skin irritation. (Yes, the same ingredient commonly used in products applied to the skin.) In addition, it states, “chronic exposure can cause gastro-intestinal disturbances, nausea, headache, vomiting, and central nervous depression." Well alrighty then….how about some nice wholesome alternatives?:

Do-It-Yourself
In addition to using plain witch hazel, or baking soda, here are some refreshing recipes inspired by Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair by Dina Falconi (Ceres Press, 1998). These should be mixed and applied with a cotton ball.

Witch Hazel Tea Tree Double Whammy
10 drops tea tree essential oil
1 ounce of witch hazel

Ken's Deodorant
4 ounces witch hazel
8 drops lavender essential oil
4 drops rosemary essential oil
2 drops patchouli essential oil

Woodland Deodorant
1/4 cup 80 proof vodka
1/4 cup distilled water
10 drops tea tree
16 drops cedarwood essential oil
20 drops sandalwood essential oil

Exotic Deodorant
1/4 cup 80 proof vodka
1/4 cup distilled water
10 drops geranium Egypt essential oil
10 drops patchouli essential oil
15 drops lavender essential oil

Choose Green Products
You can check the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database to see the hazard score of your current products or an alternative you might be considering. Here are a few other suggestions:

Crystal Body Deodorant is hypoallergenic, fragrance free, non-sticky, non-staining, and is made of 100% natural mineral salts with no artificial coloring or ingredients.

Avalon Organics Deodorants come from a company whose “Consciousness in Cosmetics” principle guides the formulation of all of their yummy products—for deodorant, that translates to no aluminium compounds, parabens or propyelene glycol.

Cleure Body Spray Deodorant provides 24 hours of natural deodorant protection.

christinawc 08-17-2007 08:11 AM

I have the same problem, mama! The natural just does not work for me and I've tried them all. I finally switched to Mitchum - not natural, but b/c it's made by Revlon, it's at least not animal tested. That's the most important thing to me!

maggie_may 08-17-2007 08:44 AM

My mum just uses baking soda, she doesn't stink. :)

GrahamBaby4 08-17-2007 09:38 AM

melaleuca just changed their satin skin deodorant, it actually works now LOL!! and I sweat/stink when I am prego, I just got it a few days ago, but its been awesome so far... I'll keep using it and let you konw the end result LOL, but yeah, the naturals didn't really do it for me, but I also have to have an antipersperant (nice spelling) in mine as well, so it has some "bad" in it but not as much as some out there. (Aluminum is the "bad" I was speaking of)