Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastfeeding and Strong Urine (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20478)

skayers01 07-07-2006 02:51 PM

Breastfeeding and Strong Urine

I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but this is really bugging me. My sons pee smells really strong, especially at night. I know for adults, you drink more water. Does he need more breastmilk? I'm already fb-ing all the dang time. Unless I just glue his lips around my nipple, there's not much more nursing I could do! Is it something I might eat or drink (I haven't had any asparagus) or do I need more water? Or is strong smelling pee normal? All I know is he stinks me out of bed in the mornings! :blush: Poor guy. Someday I'll tell him about the things I've told people!

skayers01 07-08-2006 12:30 PM

Re: Breastfeeding and Strong Urine

So apparently there aren't any urologists on ds! LOL

mrsjune 07-08-2006 07:17 PM

My DD has the same thing. Her ped didnt see anything wrong with it as she was nursing enough. It has gotten a little better.. Hope your DS's starts smelling better!

hacandsac 07-08-2006 07:19 PM

Thank GOD!!! I thought it was just my DS.:yuck: His diapers are so smelly in the morning and he is plenty hydrated. I've tried to alter his and my diet but it did nothing. I hope someone will come up with some good info.

Sarah 07-08-2006 09:05 PM

Taci is almost 4 months old and her's is really really stong in the morning. I've cut so much outta my diet because of her reflux that I don't think it has anything to do with me.

Maybe I'll try drinking more water(less juice)and see if that changes anything

Sarah

blessed with boys 07-09-2006 07:28 PM

My ds urine was very strong too but he was having enough wet diapers....I dont notice it anymore but he does get other liquids through out the day now.
Jackie

bfoster2000 07-10-2006 02:08 PM

What kind of dipes are you using at night? I've noticed that when DJ's in hemp at night it just reeks of ammonia in the morning but if he's in a pocket stuffed with microfiber, I don't notice the smell at all. Just a thought....

rpg_mommy 07-10-2006 02:16 PM

My son's diapers reek in the morning as well. He's in Fuzzi Bunz, microfiber inserts. I didn't notice the smell until about a month ago, which was right around when we added meats to his diet. He's still nursing about 5 times a day, and has water or water+juice when he eats solids, so I'm sure he's getting plenty of liquid.

He's healthy and happy though, so I'd say if your son is too, don't worry about it (though it CAN be a rude way to wake up!)

jfjamie 07-20-2006 01:00 PM

:yuck: I know exactly what you are talking about. I am nursing a 15 mo old in cloth diapers and she is about to blow me away in the mornings and if she's in her diap longer than usual. I got in contact with a head person over at blue penguin and they said it could be something as simple as a little build up on the diapers from old urine/detergent wow I was kinda offended b/c I dilligently wash the diapers just as I should! but.........:lostit: I listened and rewashed everything on 3 fulls cycles with on white vinegar and I haven't had a problem since.
Jamie

skayers01 07-20-2006 01:16 PM

Thanks I'll try that!