Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What about your other kids ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204942)

itsymama 08-14-2007 08:12 PM

What about your other kids ?

For those who have other kids , what arrangements have you made for them for when you have the baby ? Home birthers you don't count , just kidding :giggle: you can pipe in if you want . For me this issue SUCKS , my family lives down in TX , and even though my mom and dad are going to try and be here when I have the baby they will be with me at the hospital so I still need someone to watch our lil boy . Now I like hubbies family BUT almost all of his dad's side smokes :yuck: not what I want him around , plus I don't want him coming back to me saying some new words that a 3 year old should not be saying ! Now his moms side ( they are split ) is allot better , no smokers and not really any bad words flying around , BUT his mom is about to be remarried to a very nice guy that I just don't know well enough , I mean she knows him but hubby really only knows him as well as I do which isn't much at all so I am just not sure about him staying over there plus she just doesn't seem to be very maternal , very nice just not a born mom I guess . Now his moms mom is who usually watches him , she is nice and I trust her and all but she is a bit older (60's early 70's :headscratch:?) and I'm sure it's a lil hard for her to keep up with a 3 year old sometimes and with a NONE toddler friendly house , lots of glass pretties around , so overnight may be a bit much for her ya know ? I just don't know what to do :banghead: I mean I have till Jan to figure something out but I am just not a leave my kid with just anyone kind of mom , I have only ever left him with my parents or hubbies grandma and so far those are the only ones in my comfort zone . The best thing I can think of is to have his mom and her fella watch him during the day and drop him off at her moms for the night , but what if we go into labor at night ? We live in the same town as the hospital but not as his grandma so we would have to drive away from the hospital to her house then back to the hospital lol , I just don't know , another reason a home birth would be so much easier lol .

ZooCrew10 08-14-2007 08:16 PM

Re: What about your other kids ?

honestly, I don't know. We have a bunch of kiddos, the oldest two could probably swing watching the others while DH and I are at the hospital. I'll probably spend a lot of time alone during my hospital stay until I get to go home, as he'll need to be here with the kids (we have no family down here right now, the snowbirds went up north until Nov.) I'm hoping that if in a pinch my newly adopted "mom" could step in, she's been a huge blessing to us, but we'll see.

Ima_to_6 08-14-2007 08:17 PM

With my ds2, I had a friend from our neighborhood come over to watch our first son.

Babies 3 and 4 were born at the birth center; ds1 and ds2 fell asleep on the pull-out couch while I labored in the next room with ds3. DSs123 were at the birth of ds4.

With my twins I had a friend come over to stay with the boys until my mother could come up (she lives a 2hr drive away).

joyful mother 08-14-2007 08:18 PM

Could Grandma come watch him at your house? My mom is 65 and can keep up with all 4 of my kiddos fairly well but yes she is tired at the end of the day plus she has a 7 and 8.5 yr old to help her chase the 20 month old. Could dh's mom stop by and give grandma a break for a little while if it got too long, then he wouldn't be with a man you don't know for a long time frame. I would ask Grandma first then when you ask dh's mom you can ask her to just stop by for a little bit and give a break. Once baby is born I would have dh be on little boy duty.

ktmelody 08-14-2007 08:19 PM

My older kids who were 9 and 10 at the time my last was born, just this past march, were with us in the delivery room during my whole labor and delivery.

My other two, who were 17 months and 3 where with my parents. My parents live close by though.
If they did not, i would have brought them with me. My DH could have easily taken care of them during my labor. I had a doula so she helped me with my pain managament and massage, so DH just stood there. LOL

Could you get a doula to help you and have DH be with your son, in the room or take him out if needed?

bohlander04 08-14-2007 08:24 PM

My sisters and mom are on call for the night hours (Dh is working 3rd). My mom and the oldest will take me to the hosp and the kids will go to the other sis. If it's daytime my sis in law is on call and she will come to the hosp to sit with the kids so they can be there some of the time. DH will be home during the night because the hosp doesn't allow over nights in the rooms.:banghead:

itsymama 08-14-2007 08:30 PM

Ohhhh , man I honestly would love it if he could just be there with us , I my hold out for that and just have a back up plan just in case , I do already have a doula and like I said my mom and dad should be there ( God willing ) too , and really hubby isn't much of a birthing coach lol , he's a sweetie he is just a lil clueless :giggle: . Grandma coming to our house sounds pretty good too but I don't think she would like that much , she lives alone now and has for a while , she doesn't like to drive at night much and I think she just feels safer in her own house which I can understand cause I'm the same way ! I will just have to talk to them both and try and figure something out , and if at all possible just have him there with us . I wish we knew a really nice Christian family with one toddler , that would be great lol but we don't know anyone up here but his family so far , I am honestly needing to find something for Nov when we are going to try and get away for one night for our anniversary too :banghead: .

stjarks 08-14-2007 09:20 PM

I am lucky. Mom is about 45 min away. Right now, the plan is for the girls to stay at her house Sun night to Tue afternoon. My c/s should be early Mon, then Tue, she takes them to PDO and comes to the hospital. DH will take them home and MIL can help him, so he can come back some. He hates hospitals and I will be there 3 to 4 days. I have to have some one stay the first night, due to meds. Then, I just plan on being alone. Last time MIL stayed with me and it drove me crazy. I will just take the lap top and be left alone. Since, it is all planed, my friends can plan when to come and it will all work out.

mama2madj 08-14-2007 10:29 PM

my 2 youngers will stay with my dad...my oldest wants to be there for the birth...we're doing a birth center

itsymama 08-14-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2mad (Post 1598603)
my 2 youngers will stay with my dad...my oldest wants to be there for the birth...we're doing a birth center

I would be doing a birthing center but there aren't any here :(