Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   if you delay selective vax, I have a few ?s (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204970)

carleyc 08-14-2007 08:50 PM

if you delay selective vax, I have a few ?s

This is not a thread to debate whether or not to vaccinate your children. Please don't use it as such. :)

My son has his 9 month check-up tomorrow. I delayed the HepB at birth just by common sense, but not knowing any better gave him his 2 and 4 month shots right on schedule. He never had his 6 month shots because I didn't feel I had researched enough to decide either way. I never told the dr he wasnt' getting them though, I said we weren't doing them that day because we were headed out of town and that I would bring him back in to get them :blush:

Anyhow, his 9 month appt is tomorrow, and I've been pouring over research and his immunization chart trying to decide what to do. I'm made up a schedule of what I want to do, but I have a few questions.

1)If your child is not vax'd or "behind" of their vax's how do you get around that? I mean obviously you can just say, "we aren't doing it" but does that mean your child can't go to daycare and/or school? We live in NC, and the law here states that there is no exemtion for personal beliefs or philosophies, only medical and documented religious exemptions. I need my son to start going to hourly day care on base, but not bad enough to give him the shots.

2) How recptive was your dr to your vax schedule or lack thereof? I love our ped, but my husband is military and our dr is at a military facility. I'm a little afraid of the reaction I'm going to get.

kht2006 08-14-2007 08:53 PM

Re: if you delay selective vax, I have a few ?s

I don't have any advice. We do a waiver in TX.
I just tell my pedi. We can do those at the health dept. We 'can' we just don't. not right now anyway.

~Bug~ 08-14-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleyc (Post 1597959)
1)If your child is not vax'd or "behind" of their vax's how do you get around that? I mean obviously you can just say, "we aren't doing it" but does that mean your child can't go to daycare and/or school? We live in NC, and the law here states that there is no exemtion for personal beliefs or philosophies, only medical and documented religious exemptions. I need my son to start going to hourly day care on base, but not bad enough to give him the shots.

We aren't in DC, so I haven't had this problem. We're still undecided if our kids will be up to date by kindergarten though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleyc (Post 1597959)
2) How recptive was your dr to your vax schedule or lack thereof? I love our ped, but my husband is military and our dr is at a military facility. I'm a little afraid of the reaction I'm going to get.

Our ped is fine with delaying!! He had to write something about "parental fears" in our file so they'd know why my kids are behind. :giggle: I told him we must be freaks or something and he said, "No, at least you let me give them vaccines." Little does he know the more research I do the less likely I am to ever give them another shot. Still debating about whether or not to go to DDs 9 month check up. :lostit: But I love our ped. I doubt he'd be upset if I told him we weren't vaxxing at all anymore.

bgjmhg03 08-14-2007 08:57 PM

I don't have any advice about the exemptions - we haven't crossed that bridge yet.

About the ped - we had to find another one. Our first ped gave us a lot of grief about it and tried scare tactics to get us to vax. So we interviewed a few and actually stumbled across a better ped while in the hospital for DD2's birth. She doesn't recommend not vaxing, but she is very respectful of our choices and does not even bring it up at our well baby visits.

1blessedmama 08-14-2007 10:02 PM

I've heard that even if you're selectively vaxing you want to just say that you don't vax or say that you have an exemption, but NOT to say that you selectively vax, because that can put you in sticky situations.

JustAugust 08-14-2007 10:08 PM

1. I've heard the same a Bryn. Just to say you aren't vaccinating. Then eventually when the child is up to date you can take in their vax schedule to be put in their folder. Maybe someone else who has BTDT will have information about it. It'll also depend on which state you are in. Because with a philosophical exemption you should be able to say whatever you want and have it passed.

2. Our Ped's have all recommended we vaccinate. In the end they'll just say "if you ever decide to give him any just let us know." Nothing too bad.

jenn5388 08-14-2007 10:09 PM

I've never heard of having to "prove" a Religous Expemption, from what I understand it's against the law for them to ask what religion you are.

you might wanna check into it.

DH was in the military when Miranda was born. However, I didn't have a Doctor on Base (the base closest to us didn't cover anything really. I mean you had to be refered out for a freaking xray. lol) anyway, I've heard some things.. I think it's just like anywhere else where you take the chance. Everyone thinks that the military doctors will be alot more rough about it, but I've heard that they aren't allowed to Lecture/try to force you to do it, but then i've heard of some that do that anyway. You'll have to take the chance I guess. Say no and see what happens. Remember, You can always Leave. You don't have to stand there and listen. Do what you think is right and don't let someone tell you differently, Even if it is a doctor. I've had a Array of doctors for miranda.. the first one.. Well, the first one I turned into the medical board for the way he reacted.. THe second one was fine, then dave got out of the military and we said goodbye to tricare so i had to switch doctors once again.. and we brought miranda in for something at 8 months old and the doctor was kinda pushing the vax thing but i just ignored her..

for about 2 years.. Didn't bring miranda back in until april of this year.. lol
Then everything was fine with the no vax thing.. Just different everytime we go in. lol

Good luck :) hope everything goes over okay for you. don't forget to update!

ClothDiaperMePlease 08-14-2007 10:11 PM

In NC all you need is a letter that you write saying that it is against your religious beliefs. Peorid. They cannot ask you what religion or to prove it, that would be a violation of your rights ;) We are going through it too. GL!

tsk_mum 08-15-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease (Post 1598520)
In NC all you need is a letter that you write saying that it is against your religious beliefs. Peorid. They cannot ask you what religion or to prove it, that would be a violation of your rights ;) We are going through it too. GL!

:yeahthat:
We dont do the regular scheduled WCV & I just told them I wasnt vaxing so I dont have to deal with it much, although my ped. is understanding & agrees with me. My DD has only been in the office 3 x since birth (only once for sickness).
At this point I will probably selectively vax later on but they dont know that.
Good Luck!