Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you do it.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205057)

Angel3167 08-14-2007 11:10 PM

How do you do it....

How can you be a SAHM? I am so stressed out just by thinking of being a full time SAHM. I currently work 2 10hr days for my own sanity. I like my job and the people I work with but I don't really like my DD being in daycare. My sis runs the daycare and we are on the opposite ends of the parenting spectrum. She tries really hard to listen to my wishes but just doesn't do it to my standards (ie changed often enough, tv watching, excessive excercauser use.) Please help me! Thanks in advance.

Indianamom*2 08-14-2007 11:37 PM

Re: How do you do it....

You come up with a LOT of new stuff.

DS and I have made jsut about everything out of cardboard, I dance with both kids to any kind of music either on the radio or TV, we watch cartoons, play thomas/bob/little ppl.

We clean... jsut about anything, then nap times are MAMA time. Currently DS isnt here so its just me and DD so its a little easier.

Tomorrow if it isnt raining we are going to fill a rubber made container up and use it as a splash pool, since we thought that we didnt need a pool this year we didnt get one.....

It gets hard at times because sometimes you just want to pull your hair out, but its all worth it.

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 08-14-2007 11:44 PM

Yup, staying busy is the key! We try to get out of the house everyday, there is sooo much to do though, kids find the simplest things fun, and since I am just a big kid at heart, I have fun too. Seriously I could blow bubbles forever and running around the house in circles with DS gives me the giggles. I'm a big nerd:)

Perogi 08-14-2007 11:51 PM

Get out of the house!!! I have to get out of the house or at least have someone in for a playdate a few times a week and then on our other 2 days we have sort of down days where the kids pull out the play doh, play outside, watch some TV and I try to catch up on housework and just relax.

Drearina 08-15-2007 11:25 AM

When it gets rough and all I want to do is run away and get a job and "wear big people clothes" I look into her little face and remind myself that I've been here for it all. She'll never wake up and wonder where mama is, she'll never have to cry when I leave her with the daycare lady, and I never have to worry that someone is being mean to her.

Kanga 08-15-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

How can you be a SAHM? I am so stressed out just by thinking of being a full time SAHM. I currently work 2 10hr days for my own sanity.
It isn't for everyone. I've always known that all I ever wanted to be was a mom....even wrote in all my school papers that ask what you want to be when you grew up. Some people are cut out for it and others aren't (and certainly nothing wrong with not wanting to/liking it!). I personally couldn't WOHM. I'd be terrible at it. Always wonder what my kids are doing, do they miss me, are they ok, etc, etc so much that I probably wouldn't get much (quality) work done. Other people need that break and find it a great stress reliever (why, I'll never know!).

The one thing dh and I have started doing are Mommy's nights and Daddy's nights. One night a week I get to do whatever I want as soon as dh gets home. Usually I hide out downstairs so the kids forget about me (and leave me alone) and work on their scrapbooks, I'll go out to dinner with friends, or Barnes and Noble and just read w/out interruption, then try not to laugh when I see a toddler giving his mom a hard time. Dh has one night a week where he usually surfs the net or hangs out with friends. It's a sanity saver for sure!

Steve's Wife 08-15-2007 12:35 PM

How do I do it? I wallow in self-pity...seriously, though, I am just having a premenstrual, hard, emotional day where I'd like to be out at a job. But them I remind myself that DD wouldn't be as happy, I would just have another set of problems to complain about, and I'd have to shower every day:laugh:

Seriously though, even though this is super hard sometimes, I KNOW it's the best thing all around for my family, and that's what keeps me going on the rough, boring, emotional, or just downright draining days...

Angel3167 08-15-2007 09:57 PM

Do you all have older kids? I think I might

Angel3167 08-15-2007 10:00 PM

Do you all have older kids? My DD is only 7 mo and I think I could probably be SAHM if she were older. I think Alexia would be happier with me though but I wonder how to do it? hmmmmm

Perogi 08-15-2007 10:02 PM

I do have older kids as well, which does make it both easier and harder to get out. If your dd is little play dates might not really be happening yet unless you can do a play date for YOU - find another mama that you'd enjoy hanging out with.
Otherwise I'd just get out and take care of errands and stuff to get out of the house, or just go for a walk or whatever.