Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Okay so tell me what's so great about velour! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20555)

jamiectw 07-07-2006 07:16 PM

Okay so tell me what's so great about velour!

Velour seems to be everyone's favorite for fitteds. I have some Mutts that all have velour inners and I'm just not feeling the love. Am I missing something? They just don't seem to be that absorbent to me (at least not as much as hemp or sherpa) and are pretty bulky. I think I much prefer sherpa.

hfitz5051 07-07-2006 07:46 PM

Re: Okay so tell me what's so great about velour!

I find that fitteds with velour outers fell drier to the touch than any other outer material.

Willys Woolies 07-07-2006 07:53 PM

I agree...I have two mutts and just don't feel the love for them either. They are the least used diapers in our stash. Sure...they feel soft, but they are not as absorbant and if you dry them on the line, they sure are not short anymore!!!

a_cthelen 07-07-2006 07:58 PM

I like my velour, but that's b/c I love soft fabrics. True, it doesn't absorb nearly as much. IMO sherpa doesn't either, at least for my DS.

hfitz5051 07-07-2006 08:00 PM

I love velour for our bathroom wipes. So soft.

navars2 07-07-2006 09:04 PM

I'm really loving Bamboo Velour. Fairly absorbent for how thin it is and SO soft. :)

jamiectw 07-07-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfitz5051
I find that fitteds with velour outers fell drier to the touch than any other outer material.

So if they feel drier as an outer material maybe that's why people like them for inners, because they keep the baby less wet? I know they don't wick like fleece does though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_cthelen
I like my velour, but that's b/c I love soft fabrics. True, it doesn't absorb nearly as much. IMO sherpa doesn't either, at least for my DS.

I know sherpa doesn't absorb as much as hemp or cotton but it does absorb more than velour IME. I can use sherpa fitteds overnight with a doubler but can't use the velour fitteds with the same doubler.

Shaineinok 07-08-2006 08:18 AM

I like it because it does feel dryer against the skin. And its soft. :)

kimb96 07-08-2006 08:50 AM

I LOVE velour diapers!! I love the softness. It seems to be the most comfortable fabric to have against the skin. I find velour to be pretty absorbant, not as absorbant as hemp but all my velour dipes have hemp or sherpa in them for added absorbancy. They are plenty absorbant for us and ds is a heavy wetter. Mutts are my absolute favorite diapers.

jamiectw 07-08-2006 10:05 AM

Those of you that use velour against the skin, do you use fleece liners or does just the velour touch your baby's skin? Thanks!