Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stripping/Sweeping membranes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205715)

Pea_inthepod 08-15-2007 08:57 PM

Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

Anyone have this done, and did it do anything? My Ob said he would do it starting next week (i will be 37weeks) and just wondering what your experience was with it.

I know it can hurt, and I know it doenst always do anything...but Im having a VBAC, and basically if I dont go into labor on my own I will have to have another c-section because you cant induce with a VBAC. So i figure it cant hurt anything since I will be full term and im also having a pretty big baby (they are thinking its already 7lbs) :bboy:

thanks!

itsymama 08-15-2007 09:02 PM

Re: Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

Well I had it done with my lil boy once but didn't know till AFTER she did it , I didn't feel a thing when she did it or after really and no it didn't do anything . I think it's like anything else and only works when your body is already ready to go anyway . I personally won't be getting it done this time unless it is past 40 weeks cause I feel anything before 40 weeks is not full term (JMO) . I am also going for a VBAC so ideally need to go into labor on my own ( which I did the first time ) , but even if I for some reason have not gone into labor on my own past 42 weeks I will try induction before getting another c-section , but I will definitely try to get things going myself naturally .

P.S. I wouldn't put any stock in the size of the baby , they are usually wrong on that .

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 08-15-2007 09:02 PM

I had that at 37 weeks and then for 4 more times. My LO shoed up at 40 weeks 5 days :)

vickieboggs 08-15-2007 09:09 PM

I am in the exact same position.....but my midwives have not mentioned doing that yet to me and I will be 37 1/2 weeks when I see them next....I want a vbac also....I'm going to inquire about that.

All I know is it does hurt (from what I've heard) and it works for some people and not for others!

Good luck!

ktmelody 08-15-2007 09:10 PM

I had it done several times with Baby #3 and #4. Never worked. Did not hurt to get done, i only spotted, had cramps and no baby! I never had it doen at 37 weeks though....mine were done at 39 and 40.

mother4JC 08-15-2007 09:13 PM

My membranes were stripped at 38 weeks with dd, and nothing happened. Then at 39 weeks that afternoon, my water broke, however, I wasn't having any contractions so they told me I could wait and see if my contractions started on their own or they could give me pitosin. So I chose the pitosin. As long as everything is looking good at 37 weeks he is planning on stripping them again.

etsdtm99 08-15-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother4JC (Post 1604040)
My membranes were stripped at 38 weeks with dd, and nothing happened. Then at 39 weeks that afternoon, my water broke, however, I wasn't having any contractions so they told me I could wait and see if my contractions started on their own or they could give me pitosin. So I chose the pitosin. As long as everything is looking good at 37 weeks he is planning on stripping them again.

wow - that is the exact same thing that happened to me - lol !! membranes stripped one monday, DD was born the following monday!

i had bleeding/spotting and mucusy stuff coming out for 3 days after my membranes were stripped .. i don't think it really 'worked' since it took a week, but somethin gworked!

averysmom 08-15-2007 09:52 PM

How do they stripe the membranes? I've never had it done so just curious.

tiredmommyof8 08-15-2007 09:58 PM

Yes had it done several times with several babies and it didn't do a darn thing with any of them. It didn't hurt but was uncomfortable. No spotting, cramping or anything. Most of mine have been 7-10 days overdue and only came out because my labor was induced.

bellamama 08-15-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by averysmom (Post 1604300)
How do they stripe the membranes? I've never had it done so just curious.

Well I think they just swipe their fingers around in there and yes it hurts!
at least it did for me. I havent decided if I will have him do it this time.
Its pointless unless you are ready to go but I am getting anxious:blush: