Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   18 mo. spacing and any truth to increasing chance for gender? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207266)

kotzally 08-17-2007 09:56 PM

18 mo. spacing and any truth to increasing chance for gender?

I am trying to decide whether to start trying to have another now (18 months apart) or wait until 2.5 years apart. Lot of thing to consider and in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter and will happen how it's supposed to anyway. However I am curious as to people's thoughts on the subject--- I have two boys 25 months apart.

Also curious as to if anyone has tried to follow the "rules" for trying to concieve a boy/girl. I have heard of different theories over the years and wouldn't mind hear some thoughts on them. Of course a healthy baby is most important, no doubt about that--- so no rude comments please.

Thanks!

kterese 08-17-2007 10:40 PM

Re: Spacing and any truth to increasing chance for gender?

We had 2 boys, too... and I desparately wanted a DD. My DH is a pilot in the Air Force. When I knew I was fertile (NFP), I told him to fly, fly, fly and pull as many G's as he possibly could. He said he did and we had a baby girl 9 months later. :goodvibes:

Good Luck!!!

sillymama 08-17-2007 10:58 PM

Another Elizabeth here . . .

Well I think if you are ready to have another baby there is nothing wrong with starting to try now. Like you said, it will happen when it is time. You just have to be realistic about what life would be like. 18 months age spread is very tough in the beginning, but it can be really fun as your children get older.

As for trying for a certain gender, I'm not sure that it works for everyone, but with DD we DTD a few days before ovulation and not during ovulation and ended up with a girl. We didn't do this on purpose I just happen to know b/c it was after a miscarriage and I wasn't actually TTC. You can always try. I'm trying to decide now if I want to increase the odds for another girl or a little boy. I will get what I get (and be happy either way) but I'd also be interested to see what happens if I am actually trying one way or another.

October 08-17-2007 11:56 PM

Well, mine are 16 months apart, and so far I love it! (It's only been a month though, so I guess that could change. :laugh: ) My older dd is very high needs, she's still more difficult than the newborn. We just make it work. If you feel ready, I would go for it. Like you said, it will happen like it's supposed to.

As for the gender thing, we dtd when I was ovulating twice, and both times ended up with girls. Didn't work at all for us! (Not that we were trying for one sex over the other.)

SorenEdenTuckers 08-18-2007 09:37 AM

Re: 18 mo. spacing and any truth to increasing chance for gender?

I am pretty happy with our spacing (or lack thereof lol) Once we got into a good groove things have worked out quite well. DS 1 and DD have a lot in common because they're close in age, they play well together (most of the time) I hope they will always be this close and now the baby is getting to an age where he can sit on the floor and play with them, so again, I'm pretty happy with our spacing. It hasn't always been roses, and we've had some struggles where I've wanted to pull my hair out, but parenting isn't always roses.

I will say that we have the ONLY girl born into my husbands family in over 50 years, they pride themselves on saying they "don't make girls" so we were pretty shocked to say the least. We were a bit less than 18 months in spacing though :giggle:

I'm not sure when I ovulated (it was not a planned pregnancy) or what we did differently to get a girl after 50 years of boys. Someone said to me the other day that maybe it was the position we used or maybe we DTD under a full moon :blush: Still no girls but Eden in the family.

Fullhouse 08-18-2007 11:27 AM

I don't think there is a huge difference between 18-25ish months. We have had 17 m to 5+ years. Anything in the 2ish year range is about the same.

nugglemama 08-19-2007 07:16 AM

I have 15 month, 22 month and 17 month spacing with my current LO's and I love it. The first 6 months is hard, but once you get a good routine it is all gravy. My close in age children are the best of buddies.

stjarks 08-19-2007 07:39 AM

My first 2 were 22 months apart. This baby will be when DD2 is 2 1/2. I think I like it better. She understands more about what is going on. She will be more of a helper than a baby herself. She is trying to Potty Train, so I am hoping to only have 1 in diapers. That will be so nice. It was hard having them close together. I am liking the distance this time. But, the baby is not here yet, so ask me in Feb. :goodvibes:

JnSAlger 08-19-2007 09:33 AM

I have 3 girls all 15 months apart....finally pregnant with my first son...3 years later.