Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fried Cabbage- yes, this is really good. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2088)

raceNzanesmom 04-28-2006 12:56 PM

Fried Cabbage- yes, this is really good.

Ok, I would NEVER have thought this would be good- but it IS. I had leftover cabbage from using the leaves when I had mastitis. I asked my friend that gave it to me if she wanted the rest of the head back. She said we should try fried cabbage. Now we're hooked, lol.

Take one head of cabbage and slice thin (not like slaw, but not chunky either- maybe half inch); slice 1-2 large onions; melt 2-3 T butter is a deep skillet or pan with a tight fitting lid; add cabbage to melted butter; toss to coat; stir fry for a few minutes, reduce heat and cover; toss occasionally; near the end add spices to taste (I use a little salt, pepper and garlic powder); cook until tender crisp (not soggy/mushy). Serve as a side dish, or makes a great lunch.

To make a main dish:
I brown a package of Little Smokies OR one smoked sausage link cut in bite size pieces. I omit the butter then continue as above. It gives it a darker richer color and flavor. This makes a nice meal served with a crusty bread and cheese cubes.

sparkygirl74 04-28-2006 12:59 PM

Re: Fried Cabbage- yes, this is really good.

Yum! I love cabbage!

raceNzanesmom 04-28-2006 01:06 PM

It is soooo good! And we don't like cooked cabbage- kraut or boiled. All three of us love this fried- can't get Zane to eat it, but he doesn't eat much.

Kele 05-04-2006 07:44 AM

That sounds so good!

raceNzanesmom 05-04-2006 01:04 PM

We're having it tonight. :yummy:

driftymaer 05-16-2006 11:42 PM

Is your friend Polish by any chance? That is a dish that we used to eat all of the time. It's also very very good if you use Kielbasi in place of the sausage and stir in a little brown sugar and white vinegar-it makes a really nice sauce to go with it. Of you can make Halushki (not sure on the spelling) slice the cabbage the same way and the onions-then cook them together and add some egg noodles or another pasta like that. I like mine with lots of butter and onions.

raceNzanesmom 05-17-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftymaer
Is your friend Polish by any chance?

Not that I know of. We'll have to try it your way too. We really love this dish.

sept04mama 05-17-2006 03:00 PM

Thought I'd chime in with a few more ideas. Growing up we grew cabbage in our garden and ate it nearly every night in the summer. My mom would toss in: Thin sliced zuchinni, crookneck squash, and thinly sliced potatoes. Whatever we had she just threw in. It was always good! She used Lowry's seasoning salt a lot. Also cooking with shredded carrots is really good. You cook that a little longer- almost a mushy dish, but still good.

raceNzanesmom 05-17-2006 04:10 PM

Mmmmm, looks like I need to go shopping. :giggle:

nothing_butt_cloth 05-19-2006 05:58 PM

im having some tonight, and i have like 1 zuccini and one crrok neck squash and one bell pepper that needs to be cooked as well, so I am adding that in.
I cant wait...