Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Blood and Urine? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21086)

Manna00 07-10-2006 06:43 AM

Blood and Urine?

Okay! Well... we FINALLY had Sam on 7-7 via c-section... I just couldn'd dialate... AND... he came out at exactly 10 pounds!

We are exclusively breastfeeding... and Sam is very good at it. However, I've already cracked my skin a little bit (not enough to make ME quit!).

To make a quick question quicker: when we change Sam's diaper after he's pee'd it looks reddish. I tried to reassure my DH that it's probably just blood from what he's drawn from me ( at first it was a pretty substantial amount from the cracks) but DH is still worried it might actually be from Sam.

Is this normal for the first few days (Sam's only 4 days old today)? The nurses never said anything about it... so I think it might be. PS... Sam was left intact.. so I know it's not from a cir'c job. :)

Thanks mommies for helping a newbie out with breastfeeding! :)

Malka 07-10-2006 07:42 AM

Re: Blood and Urine?

Are you sure that he is getting enough milk? Ds1 had reddish diapers that weren't very wet, and it turned out that he was dehydrated and the red was urea crystals. We really didn't know what to look for, and had no idea. I ended up having to supplement for a day until my milk came in, and then everything was fine.

Malka

ETA: I didn't see that the nurses saw it. I would still check with the pediatrician.

kimb96 07-10-2006 07:44 AM

Any blood that would be in the urine has to be from Sam, not you. I don't know what could be causing this. Don't freak out though, it's probably nothing. I would give your doctor a call and save a diaper in case they need to see it.

bfoster2000 07-10-2006 08:38 AM

I agree to check with the doc and show them a diaper. Are you sure it's blood? DJ had "brick dust" in his urine the first few days...really freaked us out but the nurses at the hospital said it was perfectly normal. Better safe than sorry!

Manna00 07-10-2006 10:59 AM

"Brick dust" eh.... I'm not sure at all it's blood. In fact, I really don't THINK it is. I know the nurses didn't say anything... so I'm not TOO worried... but we will save a diaper. I still think he's in the "first few days" period though... thanks mamas~!

bfoster2000 07-10-2006 02:06 PM

I distinctly remembered the nurse saying brick dust but didn't remember anything else so I did a quick google search and found this:

Bloody Urine
Actually, blood in the urine is always abnormal. However, infant s urine may normally contain significant amounts of uric acid. These crystals get trapped in the diaper liner and appear like red brick dust. If the "blood" in the urine has this appearance, it is probably not really blood but uric acid crystals.
http://kidsgrowth.com/resources/arti...ail.cfm?id=864

It's still a good idea to check with the doc to be sure. Good luck!

rpg_mommy 07-10-2006 02:31 PM

My son had brick dust in his diaper for the first couple of days as well. When my midwife came for my 3 day post home visit, I showed her and she said it was just urea crystals, was very common, and it would go away when my my milk came in and she was right!

If it really worries you, call your doc about it. Another option is to just wait a day or two till your milk comes and see if it goes away on its own.

Manna00 07-10-2006 07:45 PM

thanks mamas! After doing some reading I found out that I wasn't latching right ... so all day today we've been feeding using a sheild that my doctor gave me in the hospital and the crystals are already almost gone.

And at about 4:00 today I started leaking--WEIRD!! :) So, now I know for sure we're in the milk money! Sam already seems to be much happier... so we're just feeding like crazy and enjoying our time together.

Thanks again, mamas! This breastfeeding thing can be tricky... but we'll keep at it!

MamaMel 07-10-2006 08:02 PM

Yes it can be tricky! Keep at it mama! Glad you guys are doing well! Enjoy your little one!