Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Samuel Walker is here! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21093)

Manna00 07-10-2006 07:13 AM

Samuel Walker is here!

(Sorry.. this is my myspace bulletin announcing Sam... not much time around here otherwise!)

Alright... I don't have a ton of time.. so this isn't going to be great--but I want to get the information out there for y'all!!

We went to the doctor on Thursday 7-6 and as it turns out, I hadn't dialated past 2 CM.. so they planned to induce me on 7-7 at 6 AM in the morning.

We get to the hospital in the morning and they hook me up with everything. Apparently I was having mild contractions--I never really felt them though! :) So they went ahead and started giving me picotin and broke my water. An hour later I started to have some slightly harder contractions.. but still no big woop. So, my doctor comes in and does an exam on me.. apparently I have a rectangular-shaped pelvic opening... which isn't good... and Sam had just turned "sunny-side up" (face up rather than face down) along with the fact that I still wasn't dialting or having strong contractions with picotin. So, Dr Troise suggested that we do a c-section while I was still feeling great (seriously, I might have had 2 not-so-fun contractions on my own) and the entire operating group was around. We had prayed as a family before going to the hospital that we would know what to say just in case we were faced with a c-section... and I knew instantly that that was the answer for us. At this point we had no idea how big Sam really was.

Within 30 minutes from the decision I was in the operating room getting a spinal block. Up to that point I had had no pain meds. All of the nurses were in great humor and the whole process really was great (as far as surgery goes). Bryant was with me the whole time. I honestly had no pain whatsoever. The best part was when everyone in the room realized just how BIG Sam was. All of the nurses just gasped..."But she said she was only 5"2'!".... Sam came out perfectly normal and happy. HE was pink from the get-go (the anastesialogist gave me a play by play) and he had a good amount of blonde-brown hair. His cry is quiet.

So... here's his vital stats at birth:
Time of birth: 10:42 AM
Weight: 9 pounds, 15.8 ounces (yes... .2 ounces shy of a 10 pounder!!!!)
Length: 21.5 inches
Eyecolor: grey-blue (so beautiful.. I hope it stays this color)
Hair color: Brown-blonde

He is just the happiest, sweetest baby around. He looks like a 6 month old.. but I promise, he was just born! I'm doing alright from the surgery. I'm still in a good amount of pain--but I've got meds for that. There were no complications whatsoever. We're all as healthy as can be! Bryant was able to room in with Sam and I at the hospital for the 3 days we spent there (they wouldn't let us out earlier than that) which was sooo nice.

Sam has really taken to nursing. We're going to be exclusively breastfeeding and both him and I are doing really well at it. He was a good "latcher" from the first nursing session! PS.. the Boppy is my new best friend... :) I have NO idea how I would nurse a 10 pound baby after a c-section without it. :) (Thank you soo much Brenda!! We use it religiously!)

So yes, we're home now. My mom and dad are coming out here tomorrow so meet their first grandbaby! I'll post pictures as I can... right now we're nursing on demand (my milk just came in...) so life is busy busy busy!

Thank you all on DS for being so kind to us. I cannot tell you how many times I've said "Oh.. so and so told me about this" over the last 4 days. I felt so prepared going into the c-section and nursing. Thank you again for collectively being my "mommy mentor"... :)

stephdpn 07-10-2006 07:19 AM

Re: Samuel Walker is here!

Congrats on your big boy, Amanda!! Take care of yourself and Samuel!

wbkt8 07-10-2006 07:44 AM

congratulations! glad to hear that everything went so well and that he's dong great w/ nursing. enjoy yourself & your new baby.

bfoster2000 07-10-2006 07:58 AM

Congratulations...I'm so glad to hear that everything went well, even if it wasn't exactly the way you planned. Seriously, I really needed to hear this today as I'm getting ready to face some difficult decisions and need to be reminded that things will work out the way they are supposed to, even if it's not the way I had envisioned it. You're in our thoughts and prayers!

bamamom 07-10-2006 07:59 AM

Woohoo!!! Congrats on growing an enormous healthy baby!! Hope you didnt buy too many newborn dipes!! :lostit:

jesusismyjoy 07-10-2006 08:01 AM

Double post..oops!

jesusismyjoy 07-10-2006 08:01 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!! I absolutely love that name! My 6yo cousin is named Samuel Walker! LOL

lovemygirls 07-10-2006 08:09 AM

Congratulations Amanda!!! I was thinking/praying for you the entire day on Friday. I even told my dh that Amanda should have had her baby on Friday. He just looked at me like I was crazy! :giggle:

toryandrew 07-10-2006 08:10 AM

Congrats!!

Kimmomy2dom 07-10-2006 08:14 AM

Congratulations Amanda!! What a healthy boy, LOL!! I'm so glad breastfeeding is going so well!! He's gorgeous!!