Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Update from the MW...lots to think about (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21118)

bfoster2000 07-10-2006 09:32 AM

Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
I just got back from my MW appointment and I'm not really sure how to feel right now. As far as we can tell, the baby is holding up well through all of this...that makes one of us! I've lost a pound since last Thursday which is ok...BP is back up again though. The 24 hour urine test showed "significant" protein in my urine which is not a good sign. I'm not sure I really get the distinction between preeclampsia and PIH but she's still calling this PIH for now.

So here's the part that I have mixed feelings about. She said that she's trying to arrange to have me induced next week...when I'm 39 weeks. I am so ready to be done with this pregnancy and apparently my body is not too keen on staying pregnant. At the same time though, I REALLY don't want to be induced. With DJ, they gave me Pitocin against my will and it was not an experience I hoped to ever repeat. They only gave it to me about an hour before he was born but it was Hell for that hour. And I'm terrified of having an epidural...I had a bad spinal tap about 10 years ago and just the thought of someone taking a needle to my spine again sends my BP through the roof! Part of the problem with DJ's delivery though was that they just completely disregarded all of my wishes and I felt like I had no control over the situation at all...I think that psychologically, that made it a lot worse than it needed to be. This MW is at least talking to me and allowing me to make the decisions so maybe it will be better that way?

Then there's this nagging feeling like if this "condition" is serious enough to warrant inducing, let's do it now and get it over with...why wait another week and a half. I mean, I'm 37.5 weeks now, how much difference will it really make to wait till 39 weeks to induce, if we're doing it because of the medical problems I'm having? If it's ok to wait till 39 weeks, then why not wait another week and see when he comes on his own? That's the angel on one shoulder saying that, the devil on the other shoulder is saying take what you can get and get on with your life!

Looks like I have lots of thinking and praying to do over the next few days. It really helped me to read Manna's birth story and realize that even when things don't go the way we plan, they can still work out for the best...I just have to trust that someone out there might know a little bit more than me about the big picture.

For now, I'm supposed to keep doing what I'm doing (lots of water, no salt, strict bedrest, call if ANYTHING out of the ordinary happens) and I follow up again on Thursday when she'll do another NST just to make sure the baby's hanging in there as well. And we'll discuss the induction issue again at that point. Who knows, maybe the little guy will decide to come on his own before next week and the whole thing will be moot...I can hope, right?

annes_cottage 07-10-2006 09:45 AM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
definitly pray. I will keep you in my prayers too. I haven't had a baby without pitocin, so I don't know any other way. I was induced with 2 and was given it with the other 2 to speed things up. I have never had a spinal or an epideral, I am TERRIFIED of needles so the thought of one going into my spine terrifies me!!! So I have had them o'natural.

I can see why you are thinking the way you are, why wait if inducing and if it can wait then why not wait till baby comes on his own. I am with you there, tough decision!!! I would pray pray pray and when you go back on Thursday just tell her that. Why not induce now? If waiting is ok, then why not wait until he comes on his own?

I pray you get a peace of what you should do for you and your baby. I will pray you are not scared!!

:hugs: :pray: :bighug:

bfoster2000 07-14-2006 11:32 AM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
Thanks...I went back yesterday and my MW was delivering a baby so I had to see her OB husband. He said that the BPP we had done over the weekend came back 8/8 so the baby is doing fine. THey did an NST yesterday and he said it looked perfect as well. My BP was down slightly yesterday (still high...just not AS high) and I haven't gained anymore weight (only because I throw up everything I eat the past few days!) I asked him if they still wanted to induce next week and he acted like I was crazy and said that there is no reason to induce. Apparently, the worse I feel, the better they think things look! Anyway, he said to come back Monday for a recheck but unless something drastic has changed, he doesn't see any reason to mess with things. I'm hoping to talk to my MW when she gets back from lunch today just to see what she says (if they're going to induce, it will affect dh's work schedule next week so he wants to know today instead of Monday and I want to talk to her about the vomiting...I didn't mention it yesterday). It's really frustrating not knowing though. And I've been really crampy the past few days...not necessarily contractions, just menstrual like cramps. But that's how it started with DJ...I never felt "real contractions" with him. And every time I've been to the hospital when I was having cramps, they said it was contractions. So maybe the baby will decide to come on his own this weekend and the induction thing won't be an issue. I feel like such a hypocrite because I'm such a proponent of natural birth and leaving things alone and letting the baby come when he's ready...but I was so disappointed when he said there was no reason to induce me...I am so ready to be done with this and move on! I'm tempted to just forget about all their restrictions and nest like mad and walk till my legs fall off this weekend. One of two things is bound to happen, either it will put me into labor or it will send my BP back through the roof and they'll have to induce me. I'm a horrible person!

annes_cottage 07-14-2006 02:28 PM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
Well, it sounds like your cramping might mean something! You do what you feel like doing. If you feel like nesting, nest. I would want to talk to the MW also though. I do not like speaking with more than one dr. That aggravates me. I hope you get that baby this weekend!!! :hugs:

jls~Kain~Drake 07-14-2006 02:46 PM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
At roughly 38 wks, what harm would it do to go ahead and do what you feel like doing? It sounds like more than likely, it'd bring baby (naturally, but i suppose one way or another!)

I may just be ignorant, but really...I'd do what you feel like doing and get the show on the road.

masonite 07-14-2006 02:50 PM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
:hugs: Aww, poor mama!

I end up with SEVERE toxemia when I am pregnant. With my first I delivered at 37 weeks, after a month on bedrest. I did have to have magnesium while I delivered (high risk of seizures), but other than that, it went well. I went drug free (no epi), and had a good delivery.

With my 2nd it started much sooner. I was put on bedrest really early, and had REALLY high blood pressure. My escalated from PIH to toxemia SO fast. It's scary. I ended up delivering him a month early (on my own), again with no drugs (was on magnesium for risk of seizures again).

My body just doesn't do well being pregnant! But, I also trust my body to do what is right, which is why I think that Camden (my 2nd) came on his own, the NIGHT before I was supposed to be induced.


Keep doing what your mw tells you to do! Stay on bedrest and try to relax. Any stress can be SO bad while you have high b/p, and possible toxemia. Be really careful. Also, trust your body. I know that sounds lame, but it's so true! My doctors were well aware of the fact that I didn't want in intervention, unless absolutely necessary. My body and baby were both in a ton of distress due to the toxemia, but my body knew what to do.


Here's to a good experience for you! And please, take care of yourself and your sweet baby---in the end, that's all that matters is the safe arrival of your little one!

Good luck mama!

heather_c 07-14-2006 05:47 PM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
I just want to encourage you! As long as you and the baby are OK, everyday your baby is able to continue to grow and develop in your womb the better. At this point in your pregnancy, the baby is learning to breathe and its lungs are finalizing their development. At this gestational age, there is a good chance they may have to take the baby after birth to a special care nursery or NICU for breathing difficulties.

I know how stressful and painful it can be at the end of pregnancy. My DS was born at 42.5 weeks. :O Pitocin inductions are no fun. :( I will be hoping and praying that your body will be healed and will go into labor naturally.

bfoster2000 07-14-2006 06:12 PM

Re: Update from the MW...lots to think about
 
Thanks everybody. I did talk to my MW on the phone this afternoon and she said that her husband had talked to her about me last night. She said that at this point, things are looking much better as far as the BP, protein in the urine, swelling, weight gain and all that, but it's very fragile. Apparently she was reading my mind because she gave me a huge lecture about how dangerous it would be for the baby and me if I let things get out of control again and reminded me that I'm only doing so well because I'm following orders and being careful. She said that she thinks the cramping is probably more related to the vomiting than anything else and the vomiting is probably a bug since I'm the 5th patient to call her with that today. She said to stay hydrated and stay in bed and she'll see me first thing Monday morning. She did say that she would keep her pager on this weekend and that there's a note in my chart that they are to call her if anything happens with me, regardless of which doc is technically "on call". She said that on Monday she'll check me and probably strip my membranes and see what happens. So for now, we wait and pray a lot...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors