Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   antibiotic woes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21151)

itsmelanie 07-10-2006 09:46 AM

antibiotic woes

Okay, DS is on round #6 of antibiotics since 6/15. He's had amoxicillin, zithromax, iv gentomycin, another round of zithromax, omnicef, and is now on augmentin. (I HATE augmentin!) Poor little thing, he's been so sick, and I understand that he needs the antibiotics. We're suspecting some underlying issues ... sigh ...

Anyway ... he has such a yeast rash from all of this, and the augmentin has added diahrrea. :cry: I've already been slathering him with lotrimin, which seemed to be helping the rash UNTIL we started augmentin.

Diahrrea = sposies around here. :hide: I figure I have enough to do without having to do diaper laundry every day plus try to get stains out and deal with super nasty poop! Plus I can feel free to slather diaper cream all over him and not worry about it hurting the diapers. Here's my problem though. The diapers aren't holding the poop in! They're doing fine except when he's sitting and goes, then the poop comes out the top because there's no elastic there. So then we have poop all over his clothes. :banghead:

So I was thinking what if I put a cover over the sposies? I have a bunch of ME airflow covers and other cheap little covers that DO have elastic on the back and would at least protect his clothes. Has anyone tried that before? Does it sound reasonable? Of course that's still leaving me some diaper laundry, but not as bad because I can wipe some of the poop off of the cover. More the better if it actually would hold the poop in.

Anyone been there? Have any suggestions? We're on day 3 of 10 with the augmentin, btw. Even worse, we're going on a trip Friday including a 5 hour flight! ICK~!! (YES, we will make sure to have plenty of extra clothes in our carryon bag for both him and ME!)

Shaineinok 07-10-2006 09:57 AM

Re: antibiotic woes

Icky! Thats why I just keep using my cloth. When I did the math I was washing a lot more clothes than I would have with just diapers. You might try some cheapo gerber plastic pants though. They don't last long but the are elasticized and I have never had them leak.

widdletigger 07-10-2006 10:01 AM

I have not done it but I have friends who have used a cover over disposables for just this situation. They said it worked well. Its worth a try.

mamabearoftwo 07-10-2006 10:40 AM

Have you tried giving him any "probiotics"? (Like acidophilus etc.) The antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria which often leads to yeast infections and diarriah. (sp?) You can get probiotics at any coop or natural foods store. If that isn't possible and your child is old enough, you can give him yogurt between doses to keep the good bacteria in his body. Just make sure it has the bacteria cultures in it! The yogurt won't have as much, but it will be better than nothing!

As for the diapers, I would definately try a cover over the sposie! I personally don't care about staining on my diapers so would use them if they keep the poo in. But, I use Seveth Generation sposies from the coop whenever we have a bad rash. To each her own. :)

HTH,
Stacy in Minnesota

itsmelanie 07-10-2006 10:55 AM

He is eating yogurt. I think it's keeping the yeast rash somewhat at bay. It hasn't been nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be. We actually have some acidophilus here, it didn't even occur to me to give it to him. (DUH!)

I didn't think about gerber plastic pants!! I think I'll run out and get some of those today, especially for the flight on Friday. They're cheap enough that I can just toss them if they get too gross.

Thanks so much!

clane 07-10-2006 10:56 AM

The only thing I would worry about is the heat from a disp. diap and a cover not letting his bum "breathe" enough and the rash getting worse. On the flight you may not have much choice. I hope the underlying issues are resolved soon so your guy doesnt have to continue this regimen of antibiotics.

The only disp. that didnt leak every time she poo'd were Huggies Supreme as they do have a strecthy elastic gusset in the top of diaper back.

*~Mindy~* 07-10-2006 07:01 PM

the only kind of sposie that even somewhat held in the poo for my son was huggies supreme too.

and yeah id put a cover over it, and see what happens, check after once or twice and see if its worse or better or not changed, and only use it when youre out or something, so its not so much heat on him.

you can try puttng plain yogurt straight on the rash, too, and it might help it feel better too.

i hope your little guys better soon and can stop with all that!! :(

Raquelita 07-10-2006 07:10 PM

Poor little guy! Do you have Triple Paste diaper rash cream to use in addition to the Lotrimin? It really helps with those bad diahrea rashes. The diahhrea is making his rash worse b/c it's 'burning' his skin and making it more susceptible to the yeast. (This happened with my DS due to dairy and soy allergies - once i cut them out of my diet his poop changed to normal bf poop and his rash went away). Anyway, good luck and i would put a cover over the sposie to protect the clothes.

blessed with boys 07-10-2006 09:54 PM

My dr prescribed a cream called Butt paste (really! lol) and its mixed with several things including aquaphor and maalox....the maalox neutralizes the acid in diarrhea.
I also suggest using acidophilous...
As for sposies only huggies supreme work for us...no leaking out of them even with explosive diarrhea poo's.
I did recently buy prefold to use with diarrhea and creams, at least they are cheap if they get ruined with the creams...

bsydprmkn 07-10-2006 10:54 PM

i second the butt paste... it does work wonders. i have tried the cloth with disposable because of bad poopies, and boy does it work!