Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The one thing I hate about CDing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21166)

aimeemarie 07-10-2006 11:03 AM

The one thing I hate about CDing...

is wicking! (However, compared to the poop blow outs in sposies, it's nothing!) Is this just something we have to accept and get over? Any kind of material wicks water/pee, correct? I'm completely fine with just getting over it, but am I right in thinking this happens to everyone every once in a while and we all avoid it by letting our babies only wear diapers around the house?

Any tips to avoid wicking? We sized up our onesies, only button the middle...make sure fleece on FB is inside diaper and not on the outside...anything else?

navars2 07-10-2006 11:15 AM

Re: The one thing I hate about CDing...

What type of diapers are you using? Some diapers are much more prone to wicking then others. Cotton PUL is bad about it unless treated with a waterproof spray. I've had very good luck with BG's not wicking. I get the very occasional at the seams but it's no worse then what I would occasionally get with 'sposies.

kimb96 07-10-2006 11:24 AM

That is why I don't use pockets anymore. Pockets were more trouble than they were worth imo. I almost quit CD because of all the leaks with pockets. I never have leaks with fitteds.

wbkt8 07-10-2006 11:25 AM

we use almost all fitteds so obviously they wick - but that's the way they are.

i haven't really have trouble with PUL (print or otherwise) wicking and some of my stuff is truly ancient. i don't really think it's inevitable. some people like to use waterproofing spray on their pul outers (nik-wax?). is it maybe that you need more absorbent inserts/soakers in your diapers?

erin_brycesmom 07-10-2006 11:31 AM

Everything has wicked for us except Bum Genius! One of the reasons I love them so much :)

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 07-10-2006 11:34 AM

You dont wanna roll it in, the fleece should be out because if the pul (outter fabric ) comes in contact with moisture it will wick!

aimeemarie 07-10-2006 11:42 AM

Hmm...we only use solid PUL (FB) but yeah cotton PUL was wayyy worse.

I've got several IPF and covers and making a wool soaker atm so we'll see if those work better.

Rachele: The problem is when the fleece touches clothing, I do not think it has anything to do with the PUL, that's never wet. Sorry should have said it's wicking into clothing.

I think occasionally it is bc Alex is a pretty heavy wetter. I've got some Joey Bunz but they probably aren't absorbent enough yet to do anything for me. Slowly working them in.

Righteous Recycles 07-10-2006 11:46 AM

I really good wool cover should stop wicking in its tracks.

MyKylie 07-10-2006 11:53 AM

We had wicking issues with pockets and Bummis SWW for a while.
The ones with Nylon (I think) like Bumkins and BumGenius do better for us than PUL, especially printed. But I also like using Fleece AIO's or fleece covers over fitteds.

mom2cassie 07-10-2006 12:07 PM

I agree that fitteds w/ wool is the solution. Technically, if you don't change when necessary (i.e. the fitted is soaked) the wool itself can get so damp that it will start to wick. But you at least get "warning" for that w/ a slight dampness before you end up w/ wet clothing! We haven't had leaks from wicking since I started using predominantly fitteds.

As for pockets, I do agree that the best for avoiding wicking are the BumGenius.

HTH!