Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tired of Night Nursing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212)

Quiverfillin 04-19-2006 09:20 AM

Tired of Night Nursing...

My DD is 9 months old, and she's driving me crazy with the night nursing! She won't or maybe can't fall asleep without nursing, so when she wakes up during the night, I have to nurse her, or she screams until I do. It used to be that she slept through most nights and only nursed at bedtime and in the morning. But now it's at least 3 times per night. And I'm getting tired!!!

We co-sleep, and I hate the idea of CIO, but my hubby's threatening to put her in the crib and leave her there if this doesn't stop. :( What do I do??

Wanted to add...this is the first baby that I've BF successfully, and our only form of BC, so I'm really torn on this, but I need some sleep!

hunterNkarter 04-19-2006 09:36 AM

Re: Tired of Night Nursing...

I'm have this issue too- BUT mine is only 5 1/2 months- I've been so tired I just sometimes wish I never started bf!!

I know it's just the tired sick brain talking cause my heart LOVES it!!!

I'll be watching what people say about their bf night experiences

Samantha 04-19-2006 10:01 AM

IF this is your only form of BC I would be worried....After 6 months your "risk" of getting PG JUMPS SIGNIFIGANTLY(sp?)....and LAM is not reliable at all. Furthermore if you wean her at night you are going to be VERY likely to get your cycles back (typically to keep cycles away you want to nurse every 4hrs).

When we night weaned (DD was a LOT older though) I just changed the scenery at night. We ALWAYS sat in the same chair so she associated that chair with nursing...so unstead of sitting in the chair we layed in bed (which we NEVER did) she fussed for a few minutes for the first few nights but didnt fuss much since I was RIGHT there. Now 3 months later I am able to sit in the chair and cuddle her without her wanting to nurse.

Anyways, regardless of what you choose to do (about night weaning) get on birth control if you dont want to get PG :eek:

eightcowwife 04-19-2006 10:03 AM

I'll be watching this thread, my sd is eating all night too, I need some sleep!

Lucky Child 04-19-2006 10:08 AM

Not sure what to do...but watching...my first dd NIGHT weaned herself at 6 weeks:eek: so it'll be a lot different with thie one I guess...

wbkt8 04-19-2006 10:13 AM

i find that my patience with night nursing comes and goes. dd's still nursing a few times a night at 18 months. it's always worse when she's teething or going through any big developmental shift. so we'll usually have a rough week followed by a period when it's not so bad.

my dd can fall asleep without nursing (e.g., if daddy's walking her down), but the real key is that she has trouble relaxing enough for long enough to fall asleep. nursing helps her hold still long enough to relax.

in the middle of the night, most of the time it only takes a few minutes to fall back asleep. but what bugs me is those nights when she wants to sleep with my bb in her mouth for LONG periods of time...it just not comfy for me and i get frustrated.

no real help. most of the ap sources i've read don't really suggest night-weaning until your child is older. dr. jay gordon has a post on his site (can't remember the link sorry) about his technique.

the only thing i've found that really helps me is to go to bed earlier myself so that i make sure i get enough sleep. that helps me a lot anyway.

katie

Namaste 04-19-2006 10:18 AM

Same here! She'll sleep through one night and the next night (last night) she's up twice.

I need sleep.

jamiectw 04-19-2006 10:30 AM

See if you can find a way to add more fat to her diet especially close to bedtime. Fat takes a little longer for her to digest and will satiate her longer allowing her to sleep longer. It worked for my son though he was quite a bit older and definitely eating more solids than a 9 monther. Avocados are a good source of healthy fat (not sure if they're good for 9 months though). Or you could try giving her solid foods closer to bedtime if you're not doing that already.

Quiverfillin 04-19-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbkt8
i find that my patience with night nursing comes and goes. dd's still nursing a few times a night at 18 months. it's always worse when she's teething or going through any big developmental shift. so we'll usually have a rough week followed by a period when it's not so bad.

my dd can fall asleep without nursing (e.g., if daddy's walking her down), but the real key is that she has trouble relaxing enough for long enough to fall asleep. nursing helps her hold still long enough to relax.

in the middle of the night, most of the time it only takes a few minutes to fall back asleep. but what bugs me is those nights when she wants to sleep with my bb in her mouth for LONG periods of time...it just not comfy for me and i get frustrated.

Yes, that's exactly what we're going through too. I get uncomfy pretty quickly!! Maybe it's just teething or something...

It's okay with me if we get pg again, I just know that I can delay it by continuing the night nursings. We won't be using any BC even after my cycles return. I just want to baby my baby a little longer.

But I also want to sleep. Hoping it's a phase!!

iKim 04-19-2006 11:26 AM

My son is barely 4 months old and he is constantly nurseing at night, like every 2 hours.:eek: It drives me insane. I feel like the mama pig at the fair laying on her side for the piglet to snack on all night long.
I love BFing and would never stop but the night nursing is exhausting. My baby will not take a pacifier, but maybe yours will. Its worth a try.

Kim