Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   anyone else switch to a midwife at the end of pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21447)

myajdw 07-11-2006 10:13 AM

anyone else switch to a midwife at the end of pregnancy

i'm considering asking my dr if i can use a midwife clinic to deliver at or deliver at home. if you read my post about ins you'll understand why...
the only reason i opted for ob in the first place was b/c i am high risk. the only reason i am high risk is b/c of two pre-term labors with my first two ds's. now i'm 34 weeks so i'm almost good to go.
my ob office does have two mid-wives on hand so my sister said i should see if one of them does home deliveries, or if i would need to switch to a regular clinic. also if i delivered at her house we could have an ambulance there waiting just in case (my sister is ems). what do you all think? and is this really even an option?

Kimmomy2dom 07-11-2006 10:30 AM

Re: anyone else switch to a midwife at the end of pregnancy

Hmmm, if it's something you really want to do then I'd check into it. Most people would think 34 weeks insn't too late to talk about it - but if you're interested in it and have issues with PTL I'd get on top of it. It wouldn't hurt to look into it and see what they can do. That way you could find out if it is even an option.

jedibunni 07-11-2006 11:08 AM

with my last pregnancy I switched back to my midwives at 31 weeks! Call and ask!!! I never regretted it.....just wished I would have gone to them from the start! :thumbsup:

Kellyd 07-11-2006 11:11 AM

I've had a midwife delivery with my last 2 and plan on having one with this one. But, they have been at the birthing center of the local hospital- not at home. There are 2 different types of midwives- certified nurse midwives (CNM)(which is probably what your OB has working with him) and lay midwives. CNM's are usually prohibited by their nurse practice acts from doing at home births- but it never hurts to ask.

jennyofthemoon 07-11-2006 12:13 PM

I think the CNM/homebith conection varies GREATLY form state-to-state, so you'll need to check into that. Definately not too late, but one thing to consider...births tend to go well and be peaceful when mom is comfortablein her surrounding. If a homebirth is a desire for you anyways, I say go for it! If not, would you be nervous, because that could have an influence on the "Ease" of your labor...Moms whoa re at peace with ther birthing choices tend to have "easier" delieveries, faster labors and a greater sense of well-being following the birth :) Personally, i think that babiaes are made at home and should be born there, but that's not always the right choice for all moms. I think you need to listen to your heart, and birth wehre it leads you...

Another thing to consider...some hospitals have programs to help subsidize your costs, even if you are not low-income. They will take into consideration all your debt, monthly payments on rent/mortgage, car loans, insurances, etc. and come up with a solution. If you decide you owuld be more comfortable in the hospital, maybe you oculd look into that?

What state are you in?

blessed with boys 07-11-2006 01:03 PM

Dang girl I'd at least ask....I hate the hospital, they always have treated me like crap. This next time I think I'd like a homebirth. My dh isnt quite too sure about it, but I'm sure I could talk him into one.

rpg_mommy 07-11-2006 01:22 PM

I was seeing the midwife at my ob's office during my pregnancy, but when I found out the hospital where they admit to doesn't allow water births, I switched my care to a free standing birth center at 28 weeks. Best. Decision. Ever. We had the most wonderful birth experience there! I can't say enough about midwives - heck, my husband is a doctor and HE prefers midwives to ob's :laugh:

I say go with your heart. There is much truth in the fact that being comfortable where and with whom you give birth leads to better labors.

Good luck!

myajdw 07-11-2006 05:59 PM

well.....i could only find one midwifery in my area and i would have to pay $3050 in the next few months....which we just really can't do either. considering they'd only be seeing me for 4 to 6 weeks (at MOST) i found that a little hard to swallow.
so we'll just be paying the hospital $200 next month and then what we can afford from here till we're paid off. what more can we do really.

Kellyd 07-11-2006 06:25 PM

Why are you paying the hospital in advance? Check with your insurance and see if they can require you to make advance payments. I've checked that out with mine for other circumstances and they have told me that if they are contracted with a provider that they cannot require you to make any payments until the insurance makes their final payments and adjustments.

cblurose 07-11-2006 06:36 PM

My situation was a little different but at my 37 week appt. with #1 my dr. informed me that she was leaving the country and wouldn't be here when I delivered. She told me to just go to the hospital and the on-call emergency room dr. would deliver. I WAS FUMING. I found a group of midwives and still delivered at the same hospital. Won't go back to that hospital now but that's a WHOLE other story. ROFL