Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What is this pain?! HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21931)

Ooey 07-12-2006 08:58 PM

What is this pain?! HELP!

Breastfeeding has been going great the past few weeks and I can honestly say I am almost starting to enjoy it. But about an hour ago I went to feed my baby and my nipple is extremy sore. There is a hard lump in the underside of my breast that is also extremly sore. What the heck is going on? It's almost too sore to feed her on that side now. Any ideas on what this is or what I can do to make it feel better? TIA

Kimmomy2dom 07-12-2006 09:07 PM

Re: What is this pain?! HELP!

Clogged duct? Have you had one of those before? With a lump that's kinda what it sounds like. I know it hurts, but try to nurse from that side more. Also try to point her nose TOWARDS the lump to try to clear it out. I think (someone correct me who knows more about bfing right now, LOL) you can put something warm on it - washcloth, some kind of pack to help get it cleared out. Also try massaging the lump right before you nurse. I hope some of this can help if it really is a clogged duct. I haven't bf'd for awhile, but I did have one of those when I did. :D

Ooey 07-12-2006 09:36 PM

I tried nursing her on that side and now im in a lot of pain!

Fither 07-12-2006 09:38 PM

i agree that it sounds like a plugged duct. (however, if it is red around that area and you are feeling feverish that would probably be mastitis). you should put warm moist compresses on it, massage massage massage, and (though it hurts) nurse more on that side and try to massage while baby is nursing. also, i've heard that pointing baby's chin towards the clog will help knock it loose easier, where their chin is pointing is where they're sucking the hardest.

i would take ibuprofen for the pain also. good luck mama, i know it's not easy all the time! also, for great breastfeeding advice about this and other issues, visit www.kellymom.com.

Lucky Child 07-12-2006 09:41 PM

I have gotten a few of those. What I do is massage while I'm nursing on that side and point his nose towards where the lump is... I haven't heard chin, but hey that could work too!... LIke someone said, if it starts getting red orsomething, it could be mastitis.
GL mama and hope it works out.

Ooey 07-13-2006 02:33 AM

Well I'm sitting here at 1:30 am with Whilder (who hasn't had a poopy diaper in 24 hours :() and I have a fever of 101.2. Dh is at work until 3:30 am, and I just feel awful. I have been feeling dizzy and achy all evening, and right now I fell so overwhelmed. Poor little baby is so constipated I don't know what to do with her, and her fussyness is more than I can take right now. I don't even know why I am posting this right now, I guess I don't really have anything else to do except wait for dh to get home. I guess I could have mastitis?? And the best part is that we are moving today, tomorrow and Saturday. I didn't get anything packed tonight like I was supposed to... argh! I just don't know what to do right now. :cry:

Kimmomy2dom 07-13-2006 07:37 AM

It's mastitis it sounds like. Sorry I was wrong, LOL. It's actually probably a plugged duct that turned into mastitis. I had that, but it was when I quit bfing cold turkey so they gave me some strong drugs to help with it. I'd definitely get it checked out and hopefully they can get you something. I had to drive myself to my OB with a fever over 103 b/c DH wouldn't go :rolleyes: So go get it checked out, I just don't want you feeling awful! If the fever gets high enough it's hard to take care of a baby, too!

hby 07-13-2006 09:09 AM

Hey Mama,
All the advice has been good. At this point it sounds like you need to see a doctor. This does not mean you need to stop breastfeeding in fact it is one of the best things you can do for it. Heat, Rest, Empty Breast is what I say. A lot of the time this is our bodies way of saying slow down. I saw that you are moving. I really encourage you to call in any help you can get and just go to bed. The alternative is more problems with your possible mastitis. Don't try to be tough and deal with it. If you didn't have the fever, dizziness, etc. I'd say get in bed and apply heat, nurse nurse nurse and massage but you are beyond that. Hopefully by now you have already gone to the doctors. I hope this resolves for you quickly and you have a pleasent move. In the future it is always good to massage your breast while nursing anyway and if you feel any pain or lumps remember Heat Rest Empty Breast. :hugs:

skayers01 07-13-2006 11:53 AM

I've gotten two mastitis' since my son was born. The first one made me feel like death- fever aching body, and I couldn't stop shaking. Sure enough my midwife said NURSE NURSE NURSE and made stay in bed for 24 hours (yippeee) and I was given antibiotics. I have a lot of breastmilk so I think that's why I get them so easily. I guess with the good comes the bad sometimes! Oh well, it's worth it inthe end! Hang in there! :hugs:

jesusismyjoy 07-13-2006 02:24 PM

Sounds like mastitis to me too since you are running a fever.
I'd head to the doc since it's at that point. DO NOT listen to any
pump and dump nonsense they might give you though, it's super important to keep nursing on that breast.