Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   This Is Making Me Crazy I Have To Vent (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21936)

Sarah 07-12-2006 09:20 PM

This Is Making Me Crazy I Have To Vent

I visit an online birth club once in a while for our youngest daughter(March 06). The whole breastfeeding thing is making me crazy things like:

"I EBF except a couple bottles of formula a day"
Then you aren't EBF,your supplementing one or the other

"I give formula when AF is visiting,because my supply is so low"
And giving formula is going to make it better?

I know it's a really mainstream board,but c'mon are woman in this day and age really so stupid. What really irks me are they peds are suggesting these things. I thought doctors were supposed to be supportive of healthy living,for mother and baby

This isn't meant to upset anyone who is having trouble breastfeeding and really trying. It's just me getting it off my chest to mamas I knew would understand

Sarah

Lucky Child 07-12-2006 09:45 PM

Re: This Is Making Me Crazy I Have To Vent

:banghead:

vick 07-12-2006 10:42 PM

It's amazing how much misinformation persists, huh? I had to give up on mainstream birth boards - they drive me up a frickin' wall!!

Hayley 07-12-2006 10:57 PM

I only BF Noah until 5-6 months then because we were traveling during xmas i started him with soy milk (milk allergies) I tried so bad to get him to go back to BF only but he loves his independence he has with his bottle. but i agree with you BF should be explained better to new mothers because if I would have known Noah would love soy milk (don't ask me why it smells horrible) I would have never supplemented. But on the other hand he started gaining weight better after we started this. I don't wanna knock formula but I do believe I would have EBF if I would have known better!

EasterBun 07-12-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vick
It's amazing how much misinformation persists, huh? I had to give up on mainstream birth boards - they drive me up a frickin' wall!!

Yep, and we of course were on the same one for a while.. I went back a month or so ago and I was appalled at some of the posts.. so I didn't even bother reading much! :giggle: Heather from the Cloth Diaper Outlet used to post there as well....

The "EBF" thing really got to me though.... so many assume that "any" breastfeeding was considered "EBF".. it didn't matter if you offerred bottles or even bottles of formula.. if you breastfed at all, you just said EBF. Idiots! :banghead:

I forget what it was exactly that led me to leave in the first place... but I'm sure it was something either BF or diaper related!!

skayers01 07-13-2006 12:02 AM

Oh, I can beat that! My sil doc told her to give kayro syrup mixed with water in a bottle to my nephew because he wasn't "regular"! To make a long story short her dumb butt gave it to him so much, they had to wean him off it! OMG! And of course, she doesn't bf anymore now! :banghead:

bfoster2000 07-13-2006 12:04 AM

It is frustrating...I never know who to get aggravated at - the mothers who are being fed this garbage or the ignorant people who perpetuate the misinformation!

I've seen the EBF thing before but I just figured that was someone who didn't understand the board lingo...I've seen some pretty silly diaper abbreviations too...I figure we've all done that at one time or another. I will say though, with DJ, I had to pump exclusively for the first 6.5 weeks but I still considered him EBF because he was getting exclusively breastmilk...I didn't figure the container mattered much. Bottles are kind of a sensitive subject for me because I worked very hard to breastfeed my son and I *had* to use a bottle to do it...for a while at least. So maybe I'm a little more open minded about that one than some people. I get what you're sayign though and there are a lot of people, especially on some of the mainstream boards that just make you want to smack them! :)

thefragile7393 07-13-2006 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skayers01
Oh, I can beat that! My sil doc told her to give kayro syrup mixed with water in a bottle to my nephew because he wasn't "regular"! To make a long story short her dumb butt gave it to him so much, they had to wean him off it! OMG! And of course, she doesn't bf anymore now! :banghead:

Gah!
My MIL was raised on condensed milk with karo syrup....I'm amazed she made it to adulthood, although I think she still has issues due to all this.

And yes Miss Sarah, I feel your pain! It makes me want to :banghead:

greenkmt 07-13-2006 02:16 AM

I Extend Breastfeed mine, now 21 months old so the whole time I was reading I thought that is what you were talking about lol:). It gets on my nerves too. It is difficult to keep Bfing and then you have moms that get that title when they don't quite deserve it. (I am not saying that moms are not good if they don't EBF for 6 months... don't get the wrong idea) However, I do think VERY strongly about BFing and I think it should be by precription only! Just my opinion.