Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How do you help someone get started? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21973)

mom2hancj 07-12-2006 11:30 PM

How do you help someone get started?

Hey there! I was talking to a friend and now she wants to cd :) . She doesn't have internet access so I have to stuff for her. She is on a limited income. What would you get for her and how many? She has a 6 1/2 mo old baby girl about 14 1/2 lbs. I gave her a rumpster that doesn't fit my ds well and I have lots of unknown/wahm fitteds that I can give her. Anway I am rambling...any thoughts.

jjaelovesenglish 07-12-2006 11:36 PM

Re: How do you help someone get started?

I would get her half a dozen pockets to try out.

SoftBumBaby 07-13-2006 12:38 AM

Start small! I am doing just prefolds and plain old Bummis and ProWraps so far. Having dealt with those (and not having spent a lot), I am now starting to feel around with what I might need/want with AIOs, fitteds, as well as the accessories (like liners, doublers, etc.). But from my experience....you really don't know what you need until you've CD'd for a bit. Like for example...I would have thought my baby would need doublers rather than liners. As it turns out, for him (so far), it's the opposite. His bum is sensitive, and he doesn't usually soak out. As another example, I was sure I would need pins or Snappis but my DS does great without them.

Start CHEAP and SMALL and build from there. :thumbsup:

Also, maybe steer your friend to The Diaper Pin and other such places, where real people give their input on how different systems worked for them.

shell015 07-13-2006 01:55 AM

My friend got me started under the same circumstances sounds like. She came to my baby shower and brought me some hand me downs from her son. We had talked about it over the phone and I thought I would like to try it. She gave me a few of each kind to get me started with the understanding that I would hand me down them back to her once my son grew out of them or if I decided that I didn't want to do it. I don't know if the conditional gift is right for your but it worked for me. Now I plan on asking for the hand me down back again after she has another child and then I decide to again... The cycle never ends.. It's great. I am also making my own now. It's a great thing to get your friends into cloth diapering. Great thinking.

cblurose 07-13-2006 03:35 AM

Ask how much $$ she can spend and start shopping around on the for sale forums. :thumbsup:
I would definetely get prefolds and covers for her to try since those are the cheapest and my favs. :thumbsup:

negrapy 07-13-2006 07:59 AM

:yeahthat:

I ALSO AM STARTING TO FEEL A LOVE FOR T-SHIRT CONTOURS DURING THE LIGHT WETTING PERIODS.OF COURSE A LITTLE RECYCLED WOOL NEVER HURT ANYONE EITHER :)

IMO:
MY FIRST GO WITH FITTEDS WAS AWFUL. I WAS CHANGING DIAPERS 2 AN HOUR.
AND POCKETS WERE A PAIN TO ME TOO.... BUT LUCKILY OTHER PEOPLE LOVE EM SO I SOLD EM ALL :laugh:

myajdw 07-13-2006 08:16 AM

i would say go on the FSOT and ebay (granitsmith is still open after all and have GREAT prices on snappi's and pf's) and get some prefolds and covers. liner, doublers and wipes. leave it at that, super simple.

i just recently got my friend involved and she bought a contour pattern off ebay and is making her own with material bought from FSOT. she also bought some snappi's and covers off ebay as well and is having great luck with her 8 month old!

she also used whatever else she could get her hands on to make those contours when realizeing she didn't have enough of other things.....sheets and towels went into em. goes to show, cding can be VERY inexpensive and still work great!

aimeemarie 07-13-2006 08:26 AM

For limited income I'd do BSWW and IPF or CPF, and if you can maybe get a dozen pockets to add to that?