Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastpad suggestions for a super soaker??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22005)

Manna00 07-13-2006 07:01 AM

Breastpad suggestions for a super soaker???

Like I've said before.. my milk came in about 3 days ago.. and we're off to a running start.

I bought some hemp pads from LL.... and even wearing two of them in no match when my guy starts to cry! YEESH!

Does anyone have any good suggestions on breastpads that will HOLD?? Also, I'm not loving the "ripping" factor from my hemp ones. I dry to dry as well as I can before putting on the pad... but I've had to gently pull it off every time!

I'm 100% able to make my own breastpads if anyone has any really good ideas for uber absorbancy. The hemp pads DO absorb (I seasoned those bad boys to death!) but not enough! At this point I'm all about getting some white microfiber towels and "fronting" them with flannel or fleece. Oof. Should I just go disposable for now? I havent' tried any disposable kinds yet.. but I do have a few free samples around the house.

Let me know!!

hby 07-13-2006 09:13 AM

Re: Breastpad suggestions for a super soaker???

I was just going to say terry clothe. When I was at home I just used hand towels not pretty but worked. How fortunate you have an abundance of milk. Yummy for little one. Maybe cover the hemp with something else on the outside.

bfoster2000 07-13-2006 09:58 AM

What about bamboo? It's supposed to be about the same absorbency as hemp but half as thick (so theoretically you could use twice as much?) Also, are your pads *just* hemp? I got some from www.amazpadz.com that have a windpro backing to be waterproof (I'll let you know next week how they work!) and she also sent me some testers that have a wool jersey backing (and silk noile top layer) and she thought those would be good for a super soaker.

When DJ was nursing, I never found cloth pads that could even come close to holding my letdown so I wound up using Lansinoh disposables and I LOVED them! This time I'm giving cloth a shot again but if it doesn't work, I'll definitely go back to the Lansinoh ones.

Good luck...let me know what you figure out because I'm just a couple of weeks behind you! :)

skayers01 07-13-2006 12:42 PM

I use cloth when I'm at home, sometimes they work sometimes not, but for going out in public, nothing works as well as my Lanisoh disposables- and they do not show through your shirts, which is also a plus! Most of the time, at home , I just end up going through a lot of shirts because I have so much milk that wearing a bra for a long time is enough to give me a clogged duct!

jamiectw 07-13-2006 01:20 PM

I double up using 1 cotton breast pad and 1 wool jersey breast pad at home. When out I use the Lilypadz which keeps them from leaking at all but may cause clogged ducts if you have that much milk.

Manna00 07-13-2006 03:29 PM

Thanks for the help, mamas! So far the hemp sure isn't STOPPING the leaking.. but if I double up it's at least contained!

I sent mom to the store for some Lanisoh pads! ThANKS!

bundeleh 07-26-2006 11:09 AM

I LOVE my wool pads. TOTALLY worth it. Plus, my DD likes to hold one and kiss it and sleep with it.

www. danishwool.com

scatterbrainedmom 07-26-2006 11:21 AM

i could not use cloth breastpads because i leaked so much. i ended up trying almost ALL the sposie pads out there and found the curity one to be the best. i spilled my drink whil i was nursing once and that was the only thing close enough . it soaked up ALL the liquid, probably a cup at least, and did not drip!

jennyofthemoon 07-26-2006 11:26 AM

I have an overabundant milk supply (like real condition of OAMS not justa LOT of milk) when nursing. Uh..it's not a lot of fun. If you are soaking that much, I don't think the disposables will help. I gave them a shot, and what happened was they got SO full that the adhesive wouldn't help, they would just fall down into the bottom of my bra cup and make things worse. What I do..well, it's not real pretty but it works. Trifold a premium prefold, adn then fold it in half the opposite way. Stick it in your bra. No, I'm not kidding. it looks hideous, yes, but it saves you a lot of laundry with not having to change your shirt and bra every 15 minutes. When you go out, you can use layers of nursing pads (I used 4 on each side)...the wool ones are the best, but if you can make your own, some velour/bamboo/sherpa backed with any kind of well lanolized felted wool will work good. That's what I did (the velour felt the best, I've never tried bamboo for nursing pads, and the sherpa worked great, but felt really wet all the time). Alternatively, you could use windpro as a backing, as that's pretty good. Don't use pul..you'll get the same problem with milk build up that you would with a sposie. To be hoenst, I owuld go with the prefolds at home right now and see if your production calms down a bit. No need to invest millions in making top-of-the-line pads if you even out in a week or two..but that's jsut my .02

kissum 07-26-2006 12:08 PM

I use Luxe cashmere nursing pads. They are so soft and super absorbant- and she has them in stock. I think they are $10- she sends a packet of eucalan to wash them in too.