Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Cheap Party Eats?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220492)

4xMommy 09-06-2007 10:14 AM

Cheap Party Eats??

Aedhan's first birthday is next weekend (I can hardly believe it!), and we'll probably have about 25 -30 people here.

Looking for cheap ways to feed them, the party will probably be from 3-6 PM. Bring on the ideas, thrifties!!!

Mo

Hitchkids 09-06-2007 10:33 AM

Re: Cheap Party Eats??

I would suggest a couple types of home made soup or chili, some loaves of home made bread and a couple salads. We've managed to put together this menu for a large crowd for a baptism party when we were very low on funds. We had chicken soup for the kids so everyone was happy.

jennsmile 09-06-2007 11:16 AM

Potato Bar,

Mini pizzas on english muffins let guest build their own,

Hot dogs, and beans and potato salad.

Jenn

mom2hancj 09-06-2007 11:25 AM

We just did a pretty big bday party and had hotdogs. You can get a 100 count box from Sam's club for $9.99 or something like that. Like 10 cents a dog. We just did hot dogs, chips, and drink...then cake and ice cream.

Hope you figure it out and have a great time!

chipmunk 09-06-2007 12:02 PM

You can get big bags of Italian meatballs for under 10 bucks. I put them in the crockpot with a couple jars of spaghetti sauce and heat all day. Then you can put them on brat buns (or extra-large hot dog buns), sprinkle some mozz or parm cheese on them, and you have a really yummy sandwich!

firstkid4me 09-06-2007 01:19 PM

Pasta bar. For dd's first birthday we used Rachael Ray's recipe for a POP-sta bar (can find it on foodtv.com, just search for "Pop-sta") and it has 3 recipes, a spaghetti with tomato basil sauce, penne with parsley pesto, and a farfalle (bow tie) with gorgonzola cream sauce. The most expensive one was the gorgonzola sauce, but if you do the tomato basil sauce and the pesto, you should be pretty good. We did 2 lbs of each kind of pasta for about 25 guests and had plenty leftover. We did a veggie tray and had cake from Walmart.

Jillybean 09-06-2007 01:37 PM

If you don't need a meal I'd do chips and dips and maybe a veggie tray.

mmskids 09-06-2007 01:58 PM

I second the pasta and meatballs. Easy to do and almost everyone eats them. Pair with a big salad and bread and no one will be hungry.

4xMommy 09-06-2007 02:01 PM

Oooh! I like the pasta bar idea, neat! ShopRite has italian meatballs on sale next week, 2 lb. for $3.74. I could do those together.

Due to the time of the party, I think I should serve some sort of meal, you know??

Keep the great ideas coming!

CrunchyMama0607 09-06-2007 02:20 PM

hot dogs, pasta bar and generic chips! :) as for drinks, you can buy a bunch of cheap tupperware-like containers at the dollar general and serve kool-aid :goodvibes:

OR you could make a bunch of casseroles, dinner rolls and pasta.