Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Am I overreacting? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220608)

Tahaacke 09-06-2007 11:31 AM

Am I overreacting?

Okay so first off at the office I go to there are three midwives. They work as a team but you only see one each app (go by who is at the office that day). I like two of them (pam and kim), the other just seems to be too doctor like for my taste (susan). Okay so I had my 37 week app today. I was 10 min late. I became really dizzy and had to sit for a while so I would not pass out which made me leave the house later. A problem we were trying to find out what was causing it. It is a concern of Kim's.

So I show up at the appointment (which is a 1/2 hr drive) and they tell me that Susan won't see me because I was late. So I had to reschedule for next thursday. I would understand completely but I have been late before and both Pam and Kim saw me still. heck I even got my times confused and showed up 2 hrs late and Kim still saw me.

My problem is that they didn't even ask why I was late or if I had any concerns that needed addressed. They just pushed me off like all well its just another week, who cares. They knew I was having problems. I just want to know do you think I'm overreacting?

I mean I'm 37 wks and I won't see them until I'm 38 wks and at my last app (36 wks) they had to strap me to a monitor and take more blood because of my dizziness, very low BP, and I was seeing spots. I haven't heard anything about the results and I am becoming very weak. Plus I have a few other concerns.

I am also upset that I still had to pay for parking because that office would not stamp my paper so I had to withdraw money out of the hospital's ATM and pay a $4 fee.

Sorry for the long post but I just needed to rant. Thanks for listening...well reading. lol

Bunny 09-06-2007 11:38 AM

Re: Am I overreacting?

:hugs: I'm sorry mama. That doesn't seem very fair to you :hugs:

mengmommy 09-06-2007 11:38 AM

I would be mad! That sounds like a bunch of crap. They really should have inquired knowing that you had some dizzy issues.

Tahaacke 09-06-2007 11:43 AM

Thank you. I just thought that with everything Kim was concerned with, they would at least look at their books and see if they could get me in today or tomorrow. You know? But nope they just told me basically to leave and call later to make an app.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-06-2007 11:50 AM

you are not overreacting, i wouldve asked to see one fo the other mw, especially since you are having problems, did they tell you to start taking iron pills?
i was having those symptoms you are talking about and satrted taking slow fe, the target brand though because its $3/cheaper a box for the same amount and my bp is back to normal and all those symptoms are gone:hugs:
they shouldve stamped your paper, you did show up, just because that stu[pid lady didint want to see you doesn't mean the parking place was going to not charge you..UGH
call them up and ask to speak to kim:hugs:

Tahaacke 09-06-2007 12:33 PM

I would have asked to see another midwife but she was the only one there. I'd have to drive to another location to see kim or pam, depending on who is where. They usually have to working and on call for the hospital. The closest location is 20 min away from there :(

I am taking iron, I have been since the beginning because of being anemic with my first. I also have been taking my thyroid pills and my vitamins. So that is why Kim was so concerned. The fact that I was doing everything they told me too and still it was not improving.

Monzie 09-06-2007 12:43 PM

At 37 weeks, there's no reason you should be getting casually brushed off like that! I could see if maybe you were in your first or second trimester....or if you were reeeeeally late. But when you're full term and you're already having "issues," they should see you. Period.

How long are your typical appointments, by the way? My midwife visits usually take at least 40 to 45 minutes. And they schedule her to see only one client an hour. So, even if I got to my birth center 10 minutes late, she'd still have a ton of time set aside to see me. And, cripes, if I went to my normal gyno appointment 10 minutes late, I'd still have to sit in the waiting room reading year old "People" magazines for half an hour before the nurse would even call my name. Funny how doctors can keep you waiting as long as they want to, but they hold patients to a different standard.

But seriously. Are they trying to punish you for being "tardy" or something? That just doesn't seem like sound medical practice to me. And its definitely not the quality of care I'd expect from a midwife. Even a really busy one.

Mirasmom 09-06-2007 12:49 PM

That sounds dangerous to me momma!! They could get in big trouble for not seeing you I think if something bad happened! I think you should def let someone know about your symptoms!!

Tahaacke 09-06-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monzie (Post 1722382)
How long are your typical appointments, by the way?

Usually I am on time and I have to wait about a half and hour then between seeing the midwife and getting checked out that is another hour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monzie (Post 1722382)
But seriously. Are they trying to punish you for being "tardy" or something? That just doesn't seem like sound medical practice to me. And its definitely not the quality of care I'd expect from a midwife. Even a really busy one.

That is kinda how I feel. Like she thought since I was late she would not see me, even though it usually take a fricken half and hour anyway before they see me.

The other two midwives have never done this. I hadn't seen Susan yet with this pregnancy and only a few times with my last. I never had liked her much, don't get me wrong she was the one who delivered my DD so she is good at that.

Tahaacke 09-06-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirasmom (Post 1722411)
That sounds dangerous to me momma!! They could get in big trouble for not seeing you I think if something bad happened! I think you should def let someone know about your symptoms!!

I think that is why Kim was so worried because she told me that the baby is perfectly fine, its just me she is worried about.