Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Confused about when I ovulate (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22122)

babydogs3 07-13-2006 01:31 PM

Confused about when I ovulate

I'm new to diaperswappers and my husband and I have just started ttc. But I'm having trouble figuring out when I ovulate.
Background info: I stopped taking BCP in Feb., had my 1st period after that on May 18th, and then just got my next one today. My periods were always irregular before taking BCP so I'm worried they're going to be that way again so it makes it hard to know when I ovulate. Plus we're in the middle of trying to sell our house which has me really stressed out which is of course not helping. We were going to wait til we sold it and moved before ttc but it's been on the market for almost a year and we're tired of putting our lives on hold!
I've been taking my bbt daily since May and I know it's supposed to increase slightly at ovulation. But it has increased 3-4 different times in the past month. Also, I've been checking for CM and I haven't spotted any at all yet. Is it something that's really easy to notice or am I just missing it or what?
So, does anyone have any ideas about when I ovulate and how I'll know or any advice or anything? Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

yellowcampcat 07-13-2006 01:44 PM

Re: Confused about when I ovulate

Hi, I had long cycles 35-40 days after stopping BC, but nothing like what you have described. `Maybe your body is still adjusting, but if your periods continue to be only once every couple of months, I would consider seeing what a doctor says.

CM is pretty easy to spot - it might be scanty at the beginning and end of your cycle, but before ovulation it should increase and get copious and clear/stretchy. YOu should see if on the tp when you wipe.

Your chart pattern for an ovulatory cycle should show a clear jump and the temps should stay high after the rise until your next pd.

I haven't read it, but have heard that taking charge of your fertililty is a good book for ttc.
hth!

SugarBunsWool&More 07-13-2006 01:50 PM

I think you should read Taking Charge of your Fertility. That's the best book out there for getting to know yourself and using temps and CM to know how to get pregnant and *not* get pregnant.
Are you recording your temps on fertility friend or anything? Maybe if we could see your chart we could help. www.fertilityfriend.com
GL!

Kimmomy2dom 07-13-2006 02:00 PM

I second using Fertility Friend to chart. I got pg my first month charting there, although by a fluke. I was having 70+ day cycles, so mine were long, too. Your body might still be getting back in the groove after taking bc - it can sometimes take awhile. Anyway - the link up there will help you keep track of your temps and let you know when it thinks you could have potentially ovulated. It's a great help! Generally the highest spike would be when you ovulated, and I'm not sure what you mean by "slight increase" in body temp. KWIM? I forget how much mine jumped. I agree that you'll know on the CM. You can also think about checking your cervix if you really want to get involved, LOL.

EasterBun 07-13-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat
CM is pretty easy to spot - it might be scanty at the beginning and end of your cycle, but before ovulation it should increase and get copious and clear/stretchy. YOu should see if on the tp when you wipe.

Ditto this.. it's pretty obvious! A little gross, actually :laugh:

I also second the recommendation to read TCOYF - it will help you understand a lot about how your body works, even if you don't end up charting to TTC or prevent pregnancy :mrgreen:

I've always had longer cycles (and with a relatively short LP) and I don't normally ovulate until around CD 21 or 22, then AF shows up about 10 or 11 days later, making for a 31-33 day cycle, which doesn't sound that long, but it would be longer if I had a normal LP.

I don't chart though.. but I've read TCOYF numerous times. I bought the book when I had an 83 day cycle.. I wanted to figure out how/why that could happen.

babydogs3 07-13-2006 05:19 PM

Thank you everybody for your help! I will definately have to get that book!

rebeccah5 07-13-2006 06:29 PM

I second what PP's said! here's my 2 cents (bear in mind that I am very pro-NFP).

After I went off BCP, my cycles were irregular for 6 or 7 months at least. Depending on how long you were on it, how strong the dosage was, and your own body makeup, it could take you even up to a year or longer to get back totally regular cycles again. I freaked after I hadn't had regular cycles for several months, and when I asked my ob/gyn about it, the only solution he had was to take progesterone to "regulate". Since then, I've found that taking prog is really not different from taking BCP, it doesn't help your body regulate normally, it just makes you have different withdrawal symptoms similar to what causes your period when you take your "fake" BCPs. I will just say this:
~keep charting temps and checking for mucus. If you don't have a lot of CM, what always helped me was vitamin A and Flax Oil. You can find both in just about any store that carries supplements. A great multivitamin is Optivite.
~be patient. The more you stress, the more your cycle will vary. Often if you have very long cycles, you are either having prolonged phase I infertility (pre-ovulation) or you are not ovulating at all. That doesn't mean you never will. It simply means that your body is adjusting. And, honestly, it wouldn't be a great idea to rush getting pg by extraordinary means, because if there are still enough BCP hormones in your body to make you have irregular cycles, your body might not be ready to get pg.
~If you are of the Christian persuasion, I would highly recommend "The Art of Natural Family Planning." It teaches one of the most thorough methods of NFP I've ever heard of. It's what DH & I have used for our almost 6 years of marriage, and it has always worked for us. Great for anyone to read, but it also goes into religious reasons to choose NFP for your marriage.
~You can also check CM internally. You can PM me for more details :blush: It's something you would only need to do once a day, in the evening. Sometimes if you don't have much CM, you will find someinternally. If you only check externally, after a BM is a good time to check.

I know that things will work out for you! Good luck! :)

rebeccah5 07-13-2006 06:32 PM

Oh, and when I said I had irregular cycles, I mean I had several that were close to 100 days between menstruations. We were trying to postpone pg at the time, so you can imagine...:stopit:

babydogs3 07-14-2006 09:54 AM

Thank you, pp. It helps to know I'm not the only one out there who has irregular periods. You gave a lot of great advice.

My biggest problem I think is that I get very stressed out and anxious very easily over everything which obviously doesn't help matters so I need to learn to relax.

I just went to Fertility friends website that pp's have recommended and it looks really helpful. So I'm going to start using that.

I really appreciate all the great advice everyone is giving me. It's definately making me feel better and able to stop worrying as much. I know these things can take a long time I'm just a very impatient person!

ahisma 07-14-2006 12:43 PM

Fertility Friend is very helpful! I used the website to track my cycle, and if you decide to pay for a membership the message boards are great too, lots of resources available there. We went through some infertility problems and a complicated miscarriage, FF helped alot:)

Have you tried OPKs? I know there is a coop going on somewhere on them, either here or the pin. I think they're about 30 cents each.

Another thing to think about is using the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor (CBEFM). There's one for sale here on FSOT. They can really help take the guess work out of charting, especially if you aren't seeing a clear temp pattern or EWCM.