Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone else with Gestational Diabetes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222193)

keithmommy 09-08-2007 04:30 PM

Anyone else with Gestational Diabetes?

I am not sure why, but my ob checked me for it on my first visit, at about 11 weeks. The test came out so high that he put me straight on the diet without doing the 3 hour test. I thought it would be a real pain to have to take my blood sugar 4 times a day, but it hasn't been so bad, and although I am not happy that I have this, I feel so much better that my diet is regulated, and it has made me stay away from food (like sweets) that I don't need anyway. I was just wondering if anyone else had GD, and how you felt about it.

susansabrina 09-08-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Anyone else with Gestational Diabetes?

I had it with DS. It was a pain to have to be so aware of what and when you are eating all the time. Diet alone did not cut it for me and I had to have insulin twice a day. :banghead: I think the hardest part was trying to explain diabetes to everyone. People's eyes would just glaze over. The best example of this was at my baby shower. I tried to explain my diet the the hostess but she still ended up serving glazed beef, pork and beans, potatoes, a fruit basket, and of course cake. I could only have about three bites and prayed that would not send me over. You really can eat a lot on the diabetic diet but anything that she served that night. I did a lot of substitutions to help me keep within my diet and still eat some of those yummy carbs. My favorite was to have bunless hamburgers with fries!!

I hope things turn out well for you!

Mindi 09-08-2007 05:00 PM

I had it confirmed with my last ds (but I think I had it with my others as well)
I thought too that poking myself all the time to test was going to be a pain but it wasn't that bad. I liked that i could monitor myself and know what i could and couldn't eat. In the end I had to take insulin and that wasn't horrible either.
I actually didn't gain much weight at all with my ds b/c I was watching what I was eating and it was much better than what I normally ate.
All in all I didn't think it was too bad after I got the nack of it all. GL mamma :hugs:

madebytrudi 09-08-2007 05:03 PM

I wasn't officially diagnosed, but with my last 3 kids, my midwife had me on a high protein diet. Like 100g or more of protein. She said it would help keep preterm labor down for me & also good for keeping diabetes & hypertension (I can't remember the official name for the problem, but it causes most people to have to deliver early because of severely high clood pressure). I think they went by the Bradley diet, consisting of high protein and low carbs & sugar. Well, it did work for me and my labor stopped when I ate correctly!

good luck!

Wishing4 09-08-2007 07:54 PM

I had it with my last son. My one hour numbers were also so high that I didn't take the 3 hour, just went right on the diet. It wasn't so bad. You just have to be aware of portion size and what you are eating. I didn't gain a lot of weight either (and it was over Thanksgiving and Christmas), but I wasn't hungry because I was eating a little bit throughout the day. I plan on just putting myself back on the diet with my next pregnancy because I did eat better and felt good.

RetroBaby 09-09-2007 01:40 PM

I'm not pregnant right now, but had it with my last 2 pregnancies. I was on insulin both times too. :yuck: I ended up gaining only about 5 lbs each pregnancy because of the diet, which is good since I can stand to lose some weight anyways, and I always ended up below my pre-pregnancy weight after birth. Unfortunately I always put some weight back on after birth since I'm like "OOOOOOooo cookies!! I can eat these again! Oh ice cream, how I missed you!!" :banghead:

mrsbehaven007 09-09-2007 01:48 PM

I actually have the oppisite of what you have.. I have Hypoglycemia. where my blood sugar gets really really low.

I had to take the 3 hour test with each of my kids .. I passed out on each of them .. but passed them .. it took my last pregnancy to figure out what was going on . I passed out in church .. only to wake up to ringing in my ears.. and blurried vision..dh took me to the ER .. and the first thing they checked was my blood sugar.. and it was in the low 40's... they had asked when was the last time I ate.. and it was about 2 hours b4... they gave me a glass of OJ mixed with a tablespoon of sugar then had me eat when my sugar was back up.

so now.. during each pregnancy I have to eat protien all day long..LOL.. and and eat ALOT..

Irishmommy 09-09-2007 08:38 PM

I've had it with two of my kiddos (hopefully, I'll skip it this time). I didn't mind it too much the second time because I was used to the diet, although I could eat more fruit the second time and not go over my numbers. Also, I looked on the bright side, that it helped me control my weight. I think I only gained 20 with both kids. I didn't have to use insulin though, I was lucky in that respect. GL to you mamma. I hope it isn't too bad for you. Oh, and I always have a celebratory meal and icecream RIGHT after birth. That is my dad's duty, to get the icecream!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

keithmommy 09-09-2007 08:43 PM

Dr. hasn't prescribed insulin at this point, but I am only 18 weeks. And I really don't mind the diet. So many people have commented on how good I look. Makes me feel better.

ChurchPunkMom 09-10-2007 09:16 AM

I had it in my third pregnancy. The only thing I really hated about it was being 'monitored' so closely.:yuck: It felt like the people at the dietician clinic/office thingy treated me like a child. Not only did I have to check my blood 4x a day (not a biggie), but I had to call in all my numbers (to an answering machine) every Tuesday night and then when I'd go in for appts (every 2-3wks) I'd have to bring my meter and they'd download all the numbers from it and go over them (y'know, just in case I lied when I called in my numbers:headscratch:) - it was lame. The diet and the monitoring my blood sugar wasn't too bad - though it did often leave me feeling hungry. It was nice getting a head start on losing weight before he was born though.:giggle: I ended up losing more than gaining in my last trimester.