Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Fels_Naptha Soap + CDing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222274)

ohiomama 09-08-2007 06:42 PM

Fels_Naptha Soap + CDing

I am going to make some home-made laundry detergent using Fels-Naptha.. I have heard positive and negative.. could you all help me decide if I should use it on our diapers!

Thanks-Hanna:goodvibes:

jonsbeka 09-08-2007 07:03 PM

Re: Fels_Naptha Soap + CDing

Well, I make my own laundry soap with that too, and here are the pros and cons as I've learned them. The pros are that fels naptha is not supposed to be toxic or bad for a baby. I wash my baby's clothing in it and we've never had a problem. It's also very cheap :) The cons are that the borax may cause problems with your LO's skin, and that over time you will get a buildup of soap and have to strip your diapers. We decided not to go with it because for us the cons outweighed the pros. Use your own judgement though - your family is different than everyone else's, and someone else may know more than I do!

Tiredmama 09-08-2007 09:53 PM

I have never used this as my primary soap although I have found it to be good for treating spots on an occasional basis.

Malissa

Luvinmy3weeones 09-08-2007 10:11 PM

Homemade soap using Fels Naptha, borax and washing soda did not get my diapers clean, caused horrible odor problems and gave dd terrible rash- can't say which ingredient was to blame.

krpdreams 09-08-2007 10:11 PM

I used it as I thought it would be great for cd but after just 1 use every diaper I washed leaked. They didn't absorb anything and prior to that they worked great. It had a horrible waxy build u I could actually feel on the cd. I wouldn't suggest it for cd but it is great for clothes This was just my experience so maybe someone else would have other ideas

grisaleen 09-09-2007 07:51 AM

Interesting responses! I've been using it on my diapers for about four months now. At first I was scared to, so I used Purex F&C or OxyPrime, but then I decided to just give it a shot. Seems to be working fine. But I do switch it up with the other detergents, and with some Dawn.

ohiomama 09-09-2007 09:53 AM

AN UPDATE: I have researched it a little more and it seems that the Fels-Naptha is "soap" which leaves a waxy residue on diapers... I assume it will be fine for clothes. Any one have any more info. I gues it is just not recommended for diapers for the waxy reason! (the homemade detergent i made is borax, fels-naptha + washing soda!)

4chixmama 09-09-2007 09:59 AM

I use the same hm detergent for clothes, but decided not to chance it on diapers after some research. I usually just use plain Dawn for dipes. Even cheaper yet!

mama_times5 09-09-2007 12:23 PM

I understand Fels Naptha to be coconut oil based, not good for diapers. Once I run out of my Charlies, I plan on using just washing soda and simple green. Here's a quote from where I got the idea. I'll put a link below. She goes on to explain why this works:

"Personally, Iím thrifty and developed my own home-made formula that has worked well - not just for diapers but for all of my laundry:
1-3 Tbs washing soda (also known as sodium carbonate or soda ash. NOT the same as Baking Soda. If you canít find it, call this number: 1-800-524-1328, and use UPC code 3320003020. They can tell you the stores in your area that carry it.)
1/2 Tbs Simple Green (usually 4 squirts)
Put above into washer as it fills (donít try to mix them together first or youíll end up with a brick!)"

http://www.sunshinediapers.com/cloth...g-a-detergent/

4chixmama 09-09-2007 12:59 PM

I did the simple green & washing soda, but didn't like the smell. :yuck: