Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   WWYD? How to spend gift card? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223116)

catkendig 09-10-2007 06:26 AM

WWYD? How to spend gift card?

Okay, so I have an Amazon.com gift certificate that I got as a baby shower gift. Now, there are certainly things I'd like to buy but the 'thrifty chick' in me knows that I can find almost anything cheaper than Amazon.com sells it. Or, if I can't - I can find it in a brick and morter store and not have to pay the shipping, again making it cheaper than at Amazon. I hate to overspend, even if it's not my money. But I've been holding onto this gc for so long now that it's becoming a joke. I do keep scanning the clearance area at Amazon, but there just isn't anything there that I want badly enough to buy.

So, what would you do? Buy something with the gift card at Amazon knowing you can get it cheaper somewhere else? Or, hold onto it indefinitely until you find something that you really can't get cheaper somewhere else? (Assuming the thing doesn't expire on me, of course!)

sillymama 09-10-2007 06:58 AM

Re: WWYD? How to spend gift card?

A lot of stuff on Amazon ships free with Super Saver Shipping on orders of $25 or more. If it is something I'd have to make a special trip to buy (i.e. not a store I regularly visit) then spenind $3-$5 more on Amazon isn't a big deal to me.

katebrown 09-10-2007 07:07 AM

You could also think of it this way - if you'd have to make a trip out for it, think what you'd spend on gas/time to get it. Since you have the gc already maybe you could save yourself the trip and thus the gas $$ and time (can never forget the cost of your time) and still get it, especially if you could use the free shipping.

Oh, and maybe take the time you would have taken to go to the brick and mortar and spend it with your kiddos or getting something done for yourself. :D That's like spending the gc on two things - your item and your time w/ family!

jennsmile 09-10-2007 07:23 AM

I live in the country so for me to go shopping it is at least $5 in gas. you better believe I order on amazon. I love organic maple syrup grade B, I buy 2 at a time it is over $25 I think and I get free shipping. For me to buy this it would be over $15 in gas so it is worth spending a little more.

Jenn

Pookamama 09-10-2007 03:19 PM

You could also:
Give it as a gift to someone
Trade it for another gift card
They do have diapers on Amazon, by the way. I was SO SHOCKED to learn this. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/s/102-7337938-...Mozilla-search

hackermd 09-10-2007 03:24 PM

Totally. Spend it on Amazon!

You can get prefolds, organic toys, organic clothing, swaddlebees, happy heiny, snappis, they have loads of books on sewing, tyedying, parenting, family planning... :) You can even use it towards something and pay the difference.

I'm was in the same boat (but cashed in some points for a gift card, instead of getting it as a gift) and didn't know what to get... took me two weeks to realize I could get text books for school for DH :)

Knowing that you can buy it somewhere else makes it harder, BUT you have to remember it's not "your money" it was given to you... kwim? They gave it to you for YOU to just purchase something without worrying about finding it cheaper somewhere else.

just my :2cents:

btw, if you find something awesome, do let us know what it is:)

catkendig 09-10-2007 06:54 PM

Oh, I've found lots of awesome things. But they're all for me! Like, I really do need new pots and pans, my clothing is in awful shape, and well... you know. I do kind of feel that since this was a shower gift, I really should use it on the baby. Honestly, I just don't need all that much for him. I have all the toys, clothes, and gear I need from his older brother. So, I don't know!!! I will have to go look at the diapers on Amazon though. I so didn't know that!

mom2kaydncolt 09-10-2007 06:59 PM

A happy, well taken care of mommy makes the best mommy. Take care of yourself so you can take care of your itty bitty! I know when I go to baby showers I like to make a mommy pamper basket - with lotion and body wash and such because the mom is special too!

danibu98 09-11-2007 08:45 AM

There is something I need to order off amazon, if you'd rather have cash and will discount a bit, PM me and we can work something out!
Danielle

GrahamBaby4 09-11-2007 09:28 AM

always check amazon on fridays! they have awesome friday sales, we bought most of our Christmas gifts for the kids on the friday sales last year or the year before and they were much cheaper than we could find the items elsewhere. (at least around here)