Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Pregnancy (
-   -   Aromatherapy in labor (

ahisma 07-14-2006 01:38 PM

Aromatherapy in labor
I have been planning to use aromatherapy in my labor...but haven't exactly gotten around to researching it yet. Now that the EO swap is open I need to kick this into high gear.

I'm sure some mamas here have done this...what can you recommend? And EO suggestions, recipes, and resources are very much welcomed.

beenwaitingalongtime 07-14-2006 02:45 PM

Re: Aromatherapy in labor
I was all about lavendar in labor. I had a neckroll w/ a microwaveable insert that had lavendar and buckwheat in it, which DH would run to the microwave every now and then. I had it on my lower back most of the time (awful back labor!) and behind my neck near the end. My doula tried rubbing a lavendar lotion I mixed up onto me, but I ended up not wanting to be touched. I put some lavendar EO onto a swatch of fabric and smelled it as I was doing my breathing (to the beat of classical lullabies on my iPod). I think I have a pic. w/ the little pillow somewhere:

I also showered w/ some orange blossom EO-infused body wash to try to renew my energy, but I don't remember smelling it at all...

skayers01 07-17-2006 01:39 AM

My midwife said that if I got sick to my stomach, they would use spearmint or peppermint oils to ease the queasieness. I didn't need it though.

keegans_mommy 07-17-2006 08:51 AM

Lavendar! I used it in my bath when in active labor, used it on my pillow to lay down with and such. :)

trinmama 07-17-2006 10:23 AM

again another one with lavendar...we used it on a warm wet washcloth that my doula either fanned me with or laid it next to my head. i've also heard of chamomile being effective.