Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   I have $28...UPDATE in Post #3 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223918)

4xMommy 09-11-2007 07:15 AM

I have $28...UPDATE in Post #3

That's what's left on my ShopRite gift card. I need three nights of dinners, and some snacks and drinks!! I've been so out of couponing until recently, my stockpile has dwindled considerably, I don't even have a lot of staples on hand!! But here is what I'm thinking...

Pork Chops--$1.99/lb (prob. 3 lb package) so roughly $6
Grapes 99 I'll probably get 2 lbs $2
3 Gallon water, about $2.69 round up to $3
1/2 Gallon Milk $3
Shredded cheese (2 bags) $2
Frozen veg (2 bags) $4
Eggo waffles FREE $0
Frozen Lemonade $1
Pizza sauce $2
Yeast ???? no idea how much this costs!!! $2

OK...that equals $25. I'll make pork chops in red sauce, with brown rice and veggies. That will be tonight. Tomorrow night is SUPER busy (karate, soccer practice AND Back-to-School nite), so we'll need something super quick. I may just make them some scrambled eggs when we get home...I haven't figured that out yet.

Then I will make pizza on Thursday night. I have Jello here for desert, and I have the ingredients for brownies, too...

I have cereal here, and the waffles will be free, plus I also have pancake mix.

So let's see if I can pull this off!!!:lostit:

3rockstars 09-11-2007 08:12 AM

Re: I have $28...

That's awesome! You are so creative! You are my frugal hero!

4xMommy 09-11-2007 01:02 PM

Re: I have $28...UPDATE in Post #3

K..so I stopped at ShopRite, I got everything on my list, except for the cheese (part of the 4-day sale that starts tomorrow), and the yeast. I DID veer off the list and got some apples, Tommy asked for them, and he needs the fiber!! I also only got one bag of veggies, since we'll eat them tonight, and I figured on pasta for dinner tomorrow...found pasta and sauce in the stockpile!

I only spent $18 and change!! So I still have $10.08 left on my gift card! Woo-Hoo!!!

3rockstars 09-11-2007 01:07 PM

Oooooh hooray! That's awesome!:lostit:

threekstrio 09-11-2007 01:13 PM

Wow! I'm so impressed. That's discipline! :mrgreen:

CrunchyMama0607 09-11-2007 02:37 PM

Wow! GO YOU!!! :yay::thumbsup:

jonsbeka 09-11-2007 09:58 PM

Yay! Good job mama!!!:mrgreen:

kaspears17 09-12-2007 12:14 PM

I noticed you are buying water. Even if you have bad water, you can boil it and it tastes like bottled water once it's cooled. We use old oj jugs to hold ours in the fridge, and our water out of the tap is so gross. Just a tip to help you save some extra cash.

shady_19 09-12-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspears17 (Post 1758014)
I noticed you are buying water. Even if you have bad water, you can boil it and it tastes like bottled water once it's cooled. We use old oj jugs to hold ours in the fridge, and our water out of the tap is so gross. Just a tip to help you save some extra cash.

It might be nursery water. That's was I guessed...we have to buy it too for the baby since we're on a well. :o( A Brita or Pur pitcher would also eliminate this cost if it's just regular water. I reuse all those nursery water jugs to filter us water to drink since our water is hard and also has a lot of minerals in it and just tastes weird at times...thus the savings acct to tap into county water soon. :o)

4xMommy 09-12-2007 01:02 PM

It's just regular bottled water, I was able to get it for 75 a gallon this week, so that was cool, it's usually 89/gallon.

The water here in Philly really just tastes funky, I don't like to drink it straight. I've tried the Brita filter, it still tastes yucky to me. I will try the boiling trick, though, and see what that tastes like!

Thanks!