Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long can I solely BF? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22397)

shaykismama 07-14-2006 03:05 PM

How long can I solely BF?

I'm getting really sad because my sweet dd is almost 6 months, which is when her doctor said to start introducing foods. But I'm just not ready.:blush: And when I think about cutting back on our special BFing times to give her food from a bowl, it makes me want to cry. So when do I HAVE to start feeding her solids?

cuties02q 07-14-2006 03:15 PM

Re: How long can I solely BF?

I think you can wait until she starts showing signs of being ready. With dd she never tasted any food until she was about 14 months we offered her avacado at 8 months and she was not interested at all. At 14 months she finally was getting interested so we would put food on her tray and she would mostly play with it but when she was ready she started feeding herself. Now with ds things were very different he was reaching for food at 4 months we didn't let him try anything until 6 months and he loves food we try not to spoon feed him so we know that he is eating beacuse he is really hungry. I think you need to do what you feel comfortable with but follow your instincts because you know your baby better than anyone. HTH! :goodvibes:

wbkt8 07-14-2006 03:21 PM

i have read that it's totally ok to exclusively bf for the first year at least. i started offering very very small amounts of solids to dd when she was about six months, but she wouldn't have anything to do with them until at least 8 months. and even then she still ate only very small amount of things (not enough to make a noticeable dent in her nursing habits) until well after a year.

she's still nursing quite a bit and she'll be 2 in september. i think you don't really need to worry about starting solids either way. you can delay or you can start. to me the key is just to not stress yourself out about it - she'll start when she's ready. and even then it doesn't mean she's not still going to want to snuggle up and nurse.

:hugs: i remember worrying about the same things too.

eta - oh yes and another thing - don't cut back on nursing to add solids, just offer them IN ADDITION to the nursing she's already doing. some people recommend nursing first and then offering solids after (or maybe an hour later, etc.) to make sure that the solids are just to start learning about tastes and textures, etc.

check out www.kellymom.com for lots of really great information on bfing and starting solids.

Shaineinok 07-14-2006 03:49 PM

No need to start solids till she shows signs of wanting them. Stuff to look for is her opening her mouth when you eat. Then the other sign of readiness is that she will be able to move the food from her mouth to her throat with out spitting it all out. A lot of moms miss this one and waste some time trying to shove it in before they are ready. My girls didn't really start to want solids till they were 8-10 months old and not much even then. Work at your baby's pace and it will go quite smoothly. You can though nurse a baby pretty much exclusivly for the first year.

Sarah 07-14-2006 04:06 PM

Thank You for asking this I was wondering the same thing

lovemygirls 07-14-2006 04:09 PM

thanks for the tips Shaine. I didn't know about moving the food from their mouth to the throat w/o spitting it out. I guess we'll be waiting a few more months. My oldest dd didn't really have solids utnil about 9-10 months old.

EasterBun 07-14-2006 04:46 PM

It wasn't until probably 8 months that DD started to really get "into" foods... which was around when she started showing unterest in stuff like cheerios, etc. We didn't start anything (aside from a small taste here and there of stuff like sweet potatoes) until after 7 though. When we really started we started with avocados and bananas.. she was never really a fan of eating mush though, she's much preferred to feed herself chunkier foods.

Now at a year, I can't keep anything away from her - if I'm eating anything, she HAS to have some or she'll throw a fit!

*MamaStacy* 07-14-2006 05:19 PM

Kolten is almost 14 mos. and just now really eating "table" food. He was exclusively BF until he was about 8.5 mos. and then he showed some signs of wanting to eat with us. I introduced things slowly. Even now at his age, he still nurses more than he eats table foods. Or he will eat a little bit of table food and nurse to wash it down. :giggle: He loves his mamas milk!!! My mom tried telling me that he wasn't getting enough to eat so that's why he nursed during the night and tried to get me to give him table foods sooner, but neither of us were ready. I did it when HE was ready.

shaykismama 07-14-2006 05:31 PM

Thanks soooo much ladies! I feel much better now. So any suggestions on what to tell the doctor when he asks why I'm not giving solids yet? Should I just say I feel she's not ready?

And thanks for that link too. Loads of great info there I see.:mrgreen:

Shaineinok 07-14-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemygirls
thanks for the tips Shaine. I didn't know about moving the food from their mouth to the throat w/o spitting it out. I guess we'll be waiting a few more months. My oldest dd didn't really have solids utnil about 9-10 months old.

Your Welcome! Glad I could help. :thumbsup: