Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ADHD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2258)

jaseyandmallorysmommy 04-28-2006 11:34 PM

ADHD

Without going into details DS's preschool teacher said she thinks he may be ADHD. I think it is too early to say that... He is only three. Anyone have a child who is ADHD? When did you find out? What did you do that did not include medications? Any online support groups?

Advice?

dessismama 04-29-2006 12:02 AM

Re: ADHD

Preschool is too early to tell, in my opinion. A lot of kids are just more energetic at this age, and all preschoolers have trouble focusing...

My oldest has severe ADHD. We waited and tried all alternatives to medication (diet--both gluten and dairy free, and no processed sugary foods, high doses of omega3's and 6s, therapy (Theraplay), behavior modification (consequences, it was too hard to keep doing it) until we realized she was failing school. We put her on Straterra for a year in the second grade and it worked great but killed her appetite. Now she takes Dexatrin. It works quite well for her...

You will know if your child has ADHD. My DD is very impulsive, sassy, oppositional, incapable of carrying out simple requests, what you would call a "hard" child... At almost 10, she still throws tantrums like a pro and acts very immature.

Hope this helps!

jaseyandmallorysmommy 04-29-2006 12:16 AM

My son is three and he IS hyper, impulsive, has a hard time not keeping his hands to himself and an overall lack of listening. I think it is just normal 3 yr old stuff but the pre school teacher swears her 18 yrs experience tells her otherwise. I am having a hard time with this. I feel she doesn't like him and over scrutinizes my DS. I'm just not sure and feel very stressed and sad about it. DS is such a loving and sweet boy, it is so hard to hear at every pick up just how "bad" he is. She says this right in front of him. It is only a two hour class.

Yesterday she say "we had an ok day only four times, but he wasn't horrible"

Horrible? Is he in your opinion horrible all the other days?

Do you know of any online support groups? Thanks for your advice.
~ Angie

dessismama 04-29-2006 12:24 AM

Your son sounds like a normal 3 year old. If he were to do these things at 10, like my DD, then you would worry!

I lurk on the Mothering special circumstances board; there is also a special needs board at Storknet I visit every once in a while. My DD is actually adopted and I used to read PEP (parents educating parents) at EEAC... She has a lot of other issues too, but the ADHD is the hardest to deal with.

Maybe you could move your son to a different preschool? The teacher sounds completely unprofessional!!!

Hugs, Angie!!

dessismama 04-29-2006 12:27 AM

Oh, when Dessi was 3, we literally could not take her anywhere and do anything. She was so impulsive and oppositional, could not handle transitions, could not stop running around the house. It was really hard... things have gotten better and when medicated, she is a sweet loving girl. Without the meds (which is what we see) she gets incredibly distracted... It is impossible to get her to do anything...

jaseyandmallorysmommy 04-29-2006 12:30 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. :hugs: to you and DD.

quixb 04-29-2006 12:31 AM

ANGIE you gotta take him out of that class. you should really look into Stepping Stones for next year. I may even be teaching there :lostit: If she says that in front of you and already has formed this opinion about him, how is she treating him in class???? If Steph had been like that would you have told me those things in such a rude/repetative manner when she was in your class??? Ok well thats my :2cents: You know we are always here for you and I nannied a boy with ADHD and he was very active and HYPER, he has been on meds for years. It is definatly something you can cope with IF in the future you find it is an issue.

My opinion is to get him into another class and see if he does better with a teacher who isnt so negative! LMK how it goes.

:hugs:

jaseyandmallorysmommy 04-29-2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quixb
ANGIE you gotta take him out of that class. you should really look into Stepping Stones for next year. I may even be teaching there :lostit: If she says that in front of you and already has formed this opinion about him, how is she treating him in class???? If Steph had been like that would you have told me those things in such a rude/repetative manner when she was in your class??? Ok well thats my :2cents: You know we are always here for you and I nannied a boy with ADHD and he was very active and HYPER, he has been on meds for years. It is definatly something you can cope with IF in the future you find it is an issue.

My opinion is to get him into another class and see if he does better with a teacher who isnt so negative! LMK how it goes.

Oh Thanks Connie! That's the thing too I feel she doesn't like him because your are right I would have never said those things to a parent from my class!

We just can't afford anywhere else right now. (he's at Deer valley CC) So it is $12 for eight weeks. I think at the end of this session i'm pulling him out. But he is learning.... ?? So why are you teaching at stepping stones? What happened to Best Fed?

Radish4ever 04-29-2006 01:33 AM

Here are the things that they test for in one of the ADHD Tests (the ADHD Rating Scale):
*often fails to give close attention to details and makes careless mistakes
*has difficulty sustaining attention
*does not seem to listen
*does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork or chores
*has difficulty organizing tasks
*avoids tasks that require sustained mental effort
*often loses things necessary for tasks
*is easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
*and is forgetful in daily activities.

*often leaves his seat in situations in which seating is expected
*fidgets with his hands and feet
*runs about and climbs excessively
*has difficulty playing quietly
*is often on the go
*talks excessively
*blurts out answers before questions have been completed
*has difficulty waiting his turn
*and often interrupts on or intrudes on others.

keegans_mommy 04-29-2006 08:11 AM

We have 2 children who have ADHD and one has both ADHD and Asperger's all within the Autisim spectrum. There is a stickied thread around here someplace for the parents of children within this spectrum. Come over and join us! We have TONS of informationi and support for you! :)