Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Extended nursers, and Night time (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22617)

mommypooh 07-17-2006 09:12 AM

Extended nursers, and Night time

I have my son who is 18 months old and is still nursing 5-6 times a night. I am wondering if anyone else's child is like this. I don't mind it so much, but I am getting a lot of flack, from family and friends. I also and reading all these threads about babies sleeping through the night and my baby still dosen't. So please help.

*~Mindy~* 07-17-2006 01:46 PM

Re: Extended nursers, and Night time

my son is 16 months and sometimes nurses more than that, or not at all, it totally depends on him. sometimes he will nurse for about 6 hours of our "night"time!! im surprised i havent gotten more of 'whybhavent you stopped bfing' soort of stuff since people are asking me how old he is a lot, and i know my grandma thinks im beyond weird, and asks me if he still is with this kinda disgusted voice when i talk to her...so do some other people. anyway, as far as at night, mine literally slept through the night, totally once every few days from a few days old on, and he doesnt actually wake up now unless my boobs not readily available, and even then he really normally just roots a bit and then hes got it and totally back to sleep, so its not a huge hes not sleeping through type deal, kwim??

what are you asking exactly? that you hope theres other people, or just support about it period?
dont smack me! lol

emilys_mom1 07-17-2006 02:06 PM

don't feel bad about it at all. Neither one of my girls stop nursing through the night until they were over 2 years. I think it is wonderful as long as it works for you. I plan to do the same with my son who is 4.5 months now.

mommypooh 07-17-2006 04:33 PM

I don't mind it but no one ever talks about it and it was starting to get to me that maybe I should night wean and I really don't want to. I actually prefer him mostly nurseing at night, as he only nurses once or twice a day. I just wanted to know if I am alone in this or if others have been through it.

Just looking for support and people who know what I am going through.

Shaineinok 07-17-2006 04:43 PM

Hailey is 22months and still night nurses 4-5 times on average. I don't expect her to stop until after two sometime. I works okay for us.

Shaineinok 07-17-2006 04:44 PM

Hailey is 22months and still night nurses 4-5 times on average. I don't expect her to stop until after two sometime. It works okay for us.

Mommameyer00 07-19-2006 12:27 PM

Mommypooh,

I can completely relate to you. Mine is about to turn 18months and is nursing anywhere from 3-6 times a night. She's never not nursed at night and never slept all the way though the night. I get alot of flack about it to from "friends" and family. You just have to do what is right for you and your child. Every parent is different with what they feel comfortable with. If you feel it's time to night wean, I have been told that the "No cry sleep solution" is a good book to read.:mrgreen:

Personally, until I was able to put the negative comments aside and not let them bother me, I was in resentment for nursing so long. I found that I was trying to wean when my daughter just wasn't ready and it was soley because of the comments. It took my husband and I sitting down plus talking it out to realize that our DD wasn't ready to wean yet and I was trying to wean because I had let the negative comments rule my judgement in what was right and wrong. :banghead:

SO-If you decide to wean make sure you think about the real reasons why you are trying to wean. :mrgreen:

Your doing a great job and don't let the negative comments bring you down.
:hugs: :hugs: :thumbsup: