Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wool Issues?????? Getting frustrated...... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2265)

quixb 04-29-2006 12:20 AM

Wool Issues?????? Getting frustrated......

Ok SO the first time I used a Jersy Wool wrap on dd I LOVED IT!!!!!! SO I bought it up. I have a few soakers and a few wraps. I notice when DD is wearing them and she wets, her clothes feel "damp". What gives???? The wool feels damp too, I want to keep using it and just ordered some more soakers BUT not if this keeps happening. And yes I am lanolising/washing. I actually have been washing with wool wash from doodlebottoms, then after they are dry I use my liquid lanolin and put some in my hand and work it into the inside of cover before using it to give it some extra protection.

It seems like the first pee is fine, but after I change her that first time then she pees and it gets damp????

Anyways I guess what I want to know is who else has this problem?? Is this just how wool is......if not what do I do???? If I use any more lanolin on it I know it will be "sticky".

Please help I am on the verge of selling it all and going to pockets only. And thats no fun :)

Thanks
Connie

kissum 04-29-2006 01:32 AM

Re: Wool Issues?????? Getting frustrated......

:popcorn:

MamaJo 04-29-2006 02:25 AM

I think your problem might be the type of lanolin you are lanolizing with. Lanolin oil is only a fraction of the thick lanolin. The thicker lanolin will do a much better job of lanolizing ;)

offlikeapromdress 04-29-2006 07:24 AM

I bought the lanolin from Cottonbabies and it works wonderfully. I can use the same cover over and over. However, I typically dont. I use a soaker or wrap then when I change, I let it dry and use a diff one it at home. But I highly recommend the stuff from cottonbabies.

bethanyjoy 04-29-2006 07:32 AM

I find that dissolving some lanolin in a mug of really hot water and mixing it into a basin/sink of washing temp water with a teeny bit of woolwash, then soaking your wool for 20 minutes, is the best way to go. I will "top off" sometimes with massaging it into the wool, but IMO it just doesn't do as great of a job. Something about soaking the wool in the lanolin bath really gets the lanolin into the fibers, much more water repellent IMO.

GL! :hugegrin:

quixb 04-29-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJo
I think your problem might be the type of lanolin you are lanolizing with. Lanolin oil is only a fraction of the thick lanolin. The thicker lanolin will do a much better job of lanolizing ;)

Ok well just ordered from you so HOPEFULLY the new balm will help with this problem. BEcause it shouldnt feel damp RIGHT?????

Thanks guy!

MamaJo 04-29-2006 10:32 PM

You just ordered from me? My store is closed :headscratch: Just for a coupe more days though.

But yeah, clothes getting damp because the wool isn't working shouldn't happen. Well, sometimes it happens when babies sit for a long time like at night or in the carseat...its called compression leaks. I think its a bigger problem with some babies than others, we don't have an issue with it. I think washing with a good wool wash and lanolizing after will be really good :thumbsup: I can't remember the last time I lanolized our day wool - I think I've washed them each 2-3 times without lanolizing and they work great :mrgreen:

*MamaStacy* 04-29-2006 10:38 PM

I only seem to have this issue when I put ds to bed. He usually wakes up a tiny bit damp. So, I'll change him and put a new fitted and new wool on him and let the nighttime wool airout and dry. I have NEVER only soaked my wool for 20-30 minutes when I wash and lanolize it. I always let it all sit overnight in a basin with lanolin. I don't ever have leaks, except for slight dampness in the mornings.

quixb 04-30-2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJo
You just ordered from me? My store is closed :headscratch: Just for a coupe more days though.

But yeah, clothes getting damp because the wool isn't working shouldn't happen. Well, sometimes it happens when babies sit for a long time like at night or in the carseat...its called compression leaks. I think its a bigger problem with some babies than others, we don't have an issue with it. I think washing with a good wool wash and lanolizing after will be really good :thumbsup: I can't remember the last time I lanolized our day wool - I think I've washed them each 2-3 times without lanolizing and they work great :mrgreen:

Yeah, I ordered the bar and balm of lavender mint?? Tried to go throught the store a few weeks ago but it wouldnt pull my PP.....just sent you payment :)
You know now that you mention it I do notice it mostly after she has been in her car seat for a long time..........she loves her car seat and she does spend a lot of time in it :headscratch: maybe thats the problem. Because I am definatly letting it soak and following all the "guidelines" of wool!