Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   **Update***TB testing, do you really need it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22796)

janelyb 07-17-2006 05:07 PM

**Update***TB testing, do you really need it?

I live in CA and they pretty much make you get TB tests when kids go to school, even preschool. I've tried to research it and I know here in CA there is a wavier for shots and in small print it also says a tb wavier too.

But my child is special needs and he has gone through so many tests and what not that I just don't want to have the TB test done now, maybe a year from now or even 2 years just not now. He is starting preschool (he's 3) and I was told that they are not sure if they can waive the TB testing...the lady is gonna check into it. I mean they let people waive the immunizations, why not TB also??? No one around me seems to understand why I want the TB waived...my BIL has already given me a long lecture on it.

Had I of known more about shots I possibly would have held off on them too, but I can not undo what we have already done.

Can anyone here relate to me???

akrab 07-17-2006 05:14 PM

Re: TB testing, do you really need it?

I think it is because the TB would affect OTHER kids.. not yours kwim? like if my son had TB and wasnt tested and went to school he could cause your child to get TB... hope that makes sense. I have to have a TB test done next week just to be a schoolbus driver...

Julesmom23girls 07-17-2006 06:52 PM

I also live in Cali and my DD will start Kindergarten in the fall. You can get a waiver for TB testing. I thought I had a paper from the school that listed the risk factors that are considered in giving the waiver, but I can't find it at the moment. Here is what I think I remember as risk factors. Family history, income level, possible exposure due to living conditions. TB is spread through the air and that is why it is "required". Your doctor should know you and your family enough to give you the waiver. If I find the paper that I am almost positive I have I will post the exact words. The health exam form that I have for my DD does have a spot for the Dr to waive the TB test. I plan to have it waived as well. I hope this helps.

Julesmom23girls 07-17-2006 07:29 PM

Here is a link to a waiver form that you could fill out to avoid TB testing. I don't know if you want to go to that extent or not, but it also list risk factors and other things. I hope this helps.

http://www.vaclib.org/letters/TBwaiverGen.htm

akrab 07-17-2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Here is a link to a waiver form that you could fill out to avoid TB testing. I don't know if you want to go to that extent or not, but it also list risk factors and other things. I hope this helps.

Also...from CDC (listed in that waiver)
Babies and young children often have weak immune systems.

link to info at CDC here..
http://www.cdc.gov/NCHSTP/TB/faqs/qa...ion.htm#Intro1

janelyb 07-17-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls

thank you that is very helpful. The head start home visitor came to my home today and gave me all kinds of reading material on TB. She did say it was my choice as a parent but she wasn't sure if my son could participate at the school if we chose not to do the tb test. I read through the material she gave me and I feel he is not at risk for TB, it also said in the material that it is highly unlike children can pass TB onto others, it's more common and likely for adults then children.

I am glad I am not alone in this. People always talk about non vaxin'; it's nice to know there are others who support non TB testing.

So what do I say...because it isn't a religious belief, it's just me not wanting to put him through this due to his overwelming sensory system. I have no problem getting a TB test, which they also require Parents to do if they are gonna attend fieldtrips, etc....

janelyb 07-17-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrab
Also...from CDC (listed in that waiver)
Babies and young children often have weak immune systems.

link to info at CDC here..
http://www.cdc.gov/NCHSTP/TB/faqs/qa...ion.htm#Intro1

thank you Alison I also have the handout on that info. And yes my child probably has a weak immune system but right now I just want to wave the TB testing or avoid it until it is necessary. Actually in his 3 years of life no doctor has ever suggested we get a TB test, so oviouslly it must not be medically necessary if they've never recommended it right? I do think here in CA we have alot of immigrants from other countries coming here both legally and illegally, I think that is the only reason why they are trying to make people get it here in CA before they enter school.

janelyb 07-17-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrab
I think it is because the TB would affect OTHER kids.. not yours kwim? like if my son had TB and wasnt tested and went to school he could cause your child to get TB... hope that makes sense. I have to have a TB test done next week just to be a schoolbus driver...

I know what ya mean. I don't mind getting one at all. But what do they actually insert in your skin????

Shaineinok 07-17-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janelyb
I know what ya mean. I don't mind getting one at all. But what do they actually insert in your skin????

Here is what they do.
The tuberculosis (TB) skin test (also known as a PPD or Mantoux) is NOT a vaccine. The TB test is only designed to help diagnose those who have been infected with TB (most of whom are not sick and have no symptoms).

The TB test involves injecting a small amount of a protein from the bacterium under the skin on the forearm. There are no live bacteria in this injection, and it cannot cause any disease. The patient then returns in 48-72 hours to have their arm checked. If the body recognizes the protein (meaning infection with the TB bacterium has occurred), it will respond by causing a "bump" to appear around the injection site. The clinician will then measure how large this bump is. A small bump may be normal, while a larger bump almost always signifies infection - but not necessarily illness.

The only significant adverse reaction to this test is an abnormally large swelling in the forearm that may occur in those who have positive tests. This reaction is rare, and is usually treatable with cortisone type creams. On very rare occasions the reaction may lead to some of the skin dying and peeling off.

While there is no reason to suspect that the test would harm a developing fetus, pregnant women should probably postpone routine testing.

I have had it done years ago when I taught daycare. Its not painful at all just a little scratch. They test all school and preschoolers and teachers as its very contagious and easier to treat early rather than when its become a full blown case. Its rather more common in those of low income than upper incomes so the Head Start program is likely to insist the child get the test rather than allowing attendance without it.

Julesmom23girls 07-17-2006 09:00 PM

I have had the test as well because I have worked in the Health care field. It isn't anymore painful that a shot, but kids resist that stuff as it is. I don't feel this test is necessary unless there are definate reasons to be concerned, for instance, if I had had a previous positive test I might be more apt to have my DD tested just to make sure that I did not expose her to it. But if you have no reason to believe you have been exposed then there should be no reason to test. As far as getting the waiver, I would just discuss it with your Dr and see if he/she will sign off that your child is not at risk and does not need the test. If you go in informed about the risk factors that make it a good idea to test and say my child does not have any of these risk factors, then you have a valid case and hopefully the Dr will agree that it is not necessary.