Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   phimosis (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229320)

crittercrazy3 09-18-2007 12:49 PM

phimosis

ds2 is not circ. his doc gave us a referral for a ped urologist at his 3 mo checkup (we skipped the 2 mo check up) with a diagnosis of "phimosis" what i've googled it and i'm confused at how he came to that diagnosis. both dh and ds1 are circ so i have no idea how a "normal" uncirc baby would look, but really it doesn't look "ill" to me kwim? any of you have gone through this? or have any advice?

MamaSpi 09-18-2007 12:55 PM

Re: phimosis

a 3 month old baby does NOT have phimosis. The foreskin is supposed to be tight and adhered to the head of the penis. I would suggest a different pedi, not a urologist. Is he having trouble urinating? I imagine that he tried to retract him too?

Tasha 09-18-2007 12:59 PM

Yes, an ER doctor said my oldest had phimosis when he was 2, and said he needed to be circ'ed. (We had taken him to the ER b/c he hadn't peed all day and his penis was swollen) We opted to get a second opinion and our regular ped. said that it wasn't phimosis, it's not supposed to retract (which I knew, but wanted a medical opinion). He said that if DS had recurrent infections, we could consider doing an operation where they snip open the skin, not a circumsion.

Sorry if this is rambling!

stayinhomewithmy6 09-18-2007 01:01 PM

Everything that I've read about it says that it is physiological in infants, like it is a normal part of development that should be outgrown. It is only a problem in older kids and adults, so I don't know how your doc would have come to that diagnosis, either. :headscratch: Definitely get a 2nd opinion.

crittercrazy3 09-18-2007 01:03 PM

thank you very much! I knew something didn't sound right. he pees normally, like a huge river actually. which is kinda weird since well..the opening is barely there and all, but again i don't know how it's supposed to look.

in the hospital when he was born i was told to retract the foreskin until "red showed" then let it go and by 2 years old it should be fully retractable. i've been trying to do it but really it doesn't move at all, and i don't see any "red" i have no idea what they were talking about. :headscratch:

Tasha 09-18-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crittercrazy3 (Post 1794200)
thank you very much! I knew something didn't sound right. he pees normally, like a huge river actually. which is kinda weird since well..the opening is barely there and all, but again i don't know how it's supposed to look.

in the hospital when he was born i was told to retract the foreskin until "red showed" then let it go and by 2 years old it should be fully retractable. i've been trying to do it but really it doesn't move at all, and i don't see any "red" i have no idea what they were talking about. :headscratch:

Noooooo! The red is the tip of his penis, and you shouldn't retract it at all. Hands off mom! :giggle: My oldest is 5.5 and still isn't retractable. He may not be retractable until he's a teen. From what I've read most boys retract themselves eventually. ;)

urchin_grey 09-18-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crittercrazy3 (Post 1794200)

The red they are referring to is the head of his penis (its red or redish purple on an intact baby). But that is WRONG, you should NEVER retract a child's foreskin. The only person that should ever retract his penis is HIM. Retraction leads to infection which leads to doctors telling you you need to circ. His penis will become retractable on its own, you do not have to "train" it to.

PLEASE do not listen to them.

MamaSpi 09-18-2007 01:09 PM

If you catch him right before he urinates, you'll notice that the end of the forskin actually opens up to allow the urine out. It tightens again after to protect the head and prevent infections.

mama2madj 09-18-2007 01:12 PM

ack!! no phimosis is not a possibility this young! not until puberty even! my stbxh does have phimosis, and there's things that can be done that require absolutely no procedure to help it, and it does not include retracting the foreskin!!!!! but at this age, theres no need to concern with that!!

crittercrazy3 09-18-2007 01:23 PM

allright! settled. i'm just gonna toss that referral in the trash. I really love that pedi he has been of great help, i wonder why he would do this. either way, i'm not taking him anywhere. whew, i'm glad i have you ladies here that know about uncirc. otherwise i would have just gone with that urology stuff.