Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Am I drying up??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22966)

Tootsiemomma 07-18-2006 08:28 AM

Am I drying up???

The past few days, it seems like I'm just not making enough for her. This is the first time in about 7 months I've had any issues with bfing....is it possible that I'm already drying up??? I still nurse 4-6 times a day :cry: I don't want to stop bfing now!!!! I'm drinking more water, should I try to nurse more often??? I know that sometimes it is painful for me to nurse because Dakotah has 8 teeth and they are constantly scraping my poor nips. Anyone go through this??

Kellyd 07-18-2006 08:57 AM

Re: Am I drying up???

Why do you feel like you aren't making enough?

Nursing really is a supply and demand thing- you probably aren't going to dry up unless your baby quits nursing or really cuts back on how often nursing happens. But- if you are having a real decrease in supply- fenugreek worked wonders for me along with more frequent nursing and/or pumping. You take the fenugreek 3 to 4 times a day- always with food or you'll get heartburn really bad. Also- keep drinking lots of water.

Tootsiemomma 07-18-2006 09:02 AM

I just don't feel the let down as much anymore, I've always felt it and it doesn't seem like I do much. And I always nurse her to sleep at night, well last night I wouldn't let down at all for 1 1/2 hours and she wouldn't go to sleep. I've researched fenugreek and no offense but I won't use it bc of the listed side effects for both mom and baby

Shaineinok 07-18-2006 09:09 AM

Well the let down is sort of tricky. I rarely feel mine anymore. You can increase milk supply buy drinking extra water, eating oatmeal, and really relaxing. I wouldn't worry to much sometimes supply is lower also as AF aproaches and arrives but will swing back up as it ends.

trishmom2five 07-18-2006 09:09 AM

Do you have a whole day to do a nurse in?
Spend the entire day topless, or practically in bed with her and just let her nurse and sleep and play on the bed as she wants. Be totally available to her. Eat a bunch of oatmeal, and drink 8 oz of water an hr. Make some oatmeal cookies the night before, and bring them to bed with you.
Some possible things that my mess with supply for just a couple of days are: return of AF, ovulation, low calorie intake for a few days, not getting enough water, and of course babe not nursing well. If it is any of these things, it can easily be fixed.
GL

Tootsiemomma 07-18-2006 09:14 AM

Ah I think it might be me not eating much lately, I'm lucky if I get one full meal in. I just don't feel hungry and don't have time to eat I'll try to force some oatmeal down Thanks mommas

kissum 07-18-2006 09:16 AM

I've noticed I feel mine less and less, since I had oversupply in the beginning and it's starting to regulate itself. Could that be it? Is she growing well? Listen to her while you're nursing, you should be able to hear her swallow every once in awhile. I agree, spend a day topless and nurse her as much as possible, but she may just be fussy for other reasons.

EasterBun 07-18-2006 12:12 PM

Have you gotten AF back yet? When I got my first one, my supply dropped sharply just before she arrived...

wbkt8 07-18-2006 12:17 PM

i definitely notice mine drops if i don't get enough fluids and dd always nurses more right around O & AF (so I'm assuming I may have a drop then too). I agree with Sarah, if you haven't gotten AF back yet, that might be what you're experiencing.

Tootsiemomma 07-18-2006 12:34 PM

I don't think it's AF, I got that back in December and just had it 2 weeks ago.