Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   getting pregnant while nursing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22969)

bundeleh 07-18-2006 08:39 AM

getting pregnant while nursing

My DD is 9 months old and I still haven't had my period. Any thoughts on getting pregnant while nursing ... my g'friend told me her OB said to have 3 menstrual cycles before trying to get pregnant again.

I'm 36. I don't want to wait too long!

Proverbs169 07-18-2006 08:45 AM

Re: getting pregnant while nursing

I got pregnant twice while nursing. The first time I had 2 PP AFs, the second time only one before I was pg. Both times I got pg right at 8 months pp. I think the only reason that the doctors suggest 3 pp AFs is to ake sure the pregnancy is accurately dated (and probably to give your body a little break.) Other than that I don't think there's any reason to wait. :)

wbkt8 07-18-2006 08:46 AM

can't help you too much. mine came back when dd was 4.5 months old. i just got pg and she's still nursing, so clearly it IS entirely possible to get pg while nursing. i don't know about waiting 3 cycles. i will say that it took about that long for my cycles to straighten out, but my understanding is that the early you get af back the more likely it is that you won't o first. unlike someone who's baby is 6-9 months old like you - chances are good that you'll o before you see your first ppaf.

i don't know of any real reason to not start ttc as soon as you seen af, but know that it may take a few cycles to get everything back to normal.

i do know that some people won't get af back until after their baby has stopped nursing, but lots of people do get it back while still nursing.

hth,
katie

bfoster2000 07-18-2006 09:08 AM

There's a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility (or something like that) that I've heard lots of people talk about. Supposedly it has a section on TTC while BF and even how to tell if you're ovulating before AF returns. There is also some really good information at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html. Good luck!

lilmama2dsndd 07-18-2006 10:12 AM

I got preggo with DD when DS was 9 months old and still nursing PT without ever getting AF back. You can only imagine the looks I get from nurses when they ask me when my last menstral cycle was.... 7-4-2003. I'd say go for it, but it did completely dry up my supply. I was able to restart nursing DS again after DD was born, but there was that whole 37 week gap where he got no BM. And I had to reteach him how to latch properly and he while he still nurses, it is not on a regular basis.

blessed with boys 07-18-2006 09:01 PM

Eli is still nursing and I havent had my ppaf...I knew I ovulated on the 6th and sure enough I'm pregnant.....so its totally possible.

cblurose 07-19-2006 04:09 AM

I'm on pregnancy #6 and have ALWAYS been nursing.
Here are dc's birthday's...it too early for me to figure out how far apart everyone is. :smiley_haha:

Married Aug. 15th, 1998
DD#1 May 20, 1999
DD#2 Oct. 5, 2000
DD#3 Sept. 12, 2002
miscarriage Oct. 5, 2003
DS#1 Dec. 8, 2004
due Oct. 23, 2006

lararum 07-19-2006 07:23 AM

Carrie, you've been very busy!:giggle:
I didn't get af back until dd was 14mos old. I may have ovulated in that time, but I wasn't keeping track. We are ttc now, but my cycles are whacked out. I'm 36 too, and I think if you want another just start trying. As pps said it's entirely possible to get preg. without having af. Good luck!

wbkt8 07-19-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandalynn
You can only imagine the looks I get from nurses when they ask me when my last menstral cycle was.... 7-4-2003.

:laugh: i had that happen to me a few times (not in conjunction w/ being pg), but at other dr appointments. it was especially funny b/c frequently dd was there sitting in my lap. it's like "hello....had a baby???"

Julesmom23girls 07-19-2006 08:02 AM

I got pregnant after 1 pp AF, my DD was only 51/2 month old at the time. My dr told me that the biggest concerns w/ having children too close together are that your body hasn't had time to replenish all the nutrients and heal from the last pregnancy. This was of more concern to me since I had a C-section w/ DD. He said ideally he prefers women to be at least 1 yr pp to TTC(especially after a Cs), but that doesn't always happen. He didn't seem too concerned about it otherwise, and as long as you are getting good prenatal care it shouldn't matter how many AF you have between conceptions.

Good luck TTC.