Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My peepee hurts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23002)

bfoster2000 07-18-2006 11:17 AM

My peepee hurts?

Ok, DJ just turned 2 and uses the potty about half the time. He is circ'ed (don't want a debate...just trying to cover the relevant info) and has never had any problems. This morning, he woke up asking to use the potty as usual so I took him in there and sat him down. Just as the first drops started to come out, he let out a scream and started crying that it hurt and pointing to his penis. He did go ahead and pee, but not much for first thing in the morning, I think he was holding back. He ran around naked for a few minutes and a couple of times he let a few more drops out but when I tried to get him back to the potty, he didn't want to so I put his diaper back on. I noticed that the very tip of his penis, right at the opening was just a little red looking so I put some A&D ointment on it which is what we use for diaper rash. He's staying with Grandma today and in the car on the way over there, he started saying that his "booty" hurts but after a few seconds, he was onto something else. Then he was playing at her house, and all of a sudden grabbed the front of his diaper and yelled "Ouch! Peepee hurts!" His diaper was pretty wet at that point so I changed him. He said he needed to potty but he just sat there for a minute and then said he was done without actually doing anything (not unusual). I put some more ointment on him when I put his diaper back on. Now, he has just recently learned the word "hurt" and seems to like to use it lately...it seems like every day something "hurts" so I have to take that with a grain of salt but the way he's acting today, I'm inclined to believe that something really is bothering him. I called the ped's office and spoke to the nurse and she said that I need to bring him in so they can check his urine (fun fun!) but they didn't have any appointments until tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure it will turn out to be nothing so I'm not freaking out about that, I'm just wondering if there is anything I can or should do in the meantime. I know this is going to come out wrong, but it would suit me just fine if he miraculously got better this evening and I didn't have to take him in tomorrow after all. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2sweetboys 07-18-2006 11:24 AM

Re: My peepee hurts?

Could it maybe be a UTI or bladder infection? I would try giving him lots of cranberry juice to help flush it out until you go to the ped's tomorrow.

keithsmom03 07-18-2006 11:31 AM

it could be a uti or it could also be that his pee is too concentrated. my ds was crying one morning saying his peepee hurt except all he said was hurt, and was acting really uncomfortable, so i took him into the dr right away, and they did a urinalysis, and said it was just too concentrated. they told me to give him plenty of water, and back off the juice and milk some, after i did that he was fine.

heather marie

bfoster2000 07-18-2006 11:47 AM

Hmmm...mom's first reaction was to give him water too. His urine wasn't clear this morning, but not really dark either...maybe a little more concentrated than usual but not much. Still, that could be it. I was thinking more along the lines of the cranberry juice because that's what I've always been told to do for a UTI but I don't know if he will even drink that. I guess mom will give him water and make sure he's well hydrated this afternoon and I'll swing by the store and pick up some cranberry juice or maybe cran-apple would go over better (I LOVE that stuff!). If the water doesn't do the trick this afternoon, I'll give him some juice this evening and see what happens tomorrow. I thought boys didn't get UTIs? The way this kid likes to pick and pull and play with his "anatomy" it's no wonder it hurts...I don't even have one and it hurts to watch!! Oops...that's another post though. :lostit:

aschrimp 07-18-2006 12:38 PM

Boys absolutely can get UTIs, they are just a little less likely to get them than girls, because of less bactierial cotamination from surrounding areas - thier boy bits are farther away from their bums.

Bare Bottom Gear 07-18-2006 12:46 PM

My son gets a red sore in the exact same area after peeing in a diaper that he's worn all night so we have to use sposies. We've upped his water intake thinking it's strong pee "burning" his opening but that didn't help. We just can't use CD's at night.

We got a diaper (used) recently and I didn't wash it b4 putting it on himand last night we put it on and let him wear it all night. This am, yet again, My pee pee hurts! And, sure enough his little opening was sore again. It's some sort of reaction. Don't know if it's the soaps (even the clean rinsing ones doesn't help it) or his pee but we've done all kinds of stripping and new soaps and now that I got this diaper I figured if this mama uses something else maybe that is my prob. Our soap is doing it. But, no. It's just cd's and his urine reacting and causing a sore to develop after wearing it all night.

I know it's not a UTI as he can pee. He makes faces and may say something but he'll still pee. He has a very high tolerance for pain so he probably wouldn't complain about it but if he didn't then I know he'd say something and refuse to go pee.

Kellyd 07-18-2006 02:43 PM

Definately up his fluid intake- but also check his penis and see if any of the extra skin not removed in the circ has adhered to his penis. My son was also circ'd but had problems with the extra skin wanting to grow back attached to the head of his penis. When that would happen it was like it put pressure on the head and it would get swollen and inflamed.

annes_cottage 07-19-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sweetboys
Could it maybe be a UTI or bladder infection? I would try giving him lots of cranberry juice to help flush it out until you go to the ped's tomorrow.

:yeahthat:

annes_cottage 07-19-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoster2000
The way this kid likes to pick and pull and play with his "anatomy" it's no wonder it hurts...I don't even have one and it hurts to watch!! Oops...that's another post though. :lostit:

Had to giggle! That sounds just like my 2 yr old. Maybe he has irritated it by his exploration of himself. I do not know how to get my little one to quit that either! :goodvibes:

anna.worley 07-27-2006 09:31 AM

I know this is gross but could it be abrasion from nocturnal erections? Those happen quite frequently. Also, unless you know for sure, don't rule out UTI.