Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   FAST help please~ TB what happens if someone tests positive? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230296)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-19-2007 04:48 PM

FAST help please~ TB what happens if someone tests positive?

dh JUST told me my mil tested positive for tb, she was just tested for this and got her results and was told she is positive. she sint concerned at all because the dr she went to didn't seem to think it was a big deal. i have no idea who she went to but now i'm worried, i dont want her or my sil's to come around me, dh or the kids and most definately dont want them coning to the birthing center when i have nathan. i was told when you test pos you need chest xrays and pills to take for 6 months or something. am i overreacting?
we were supposed to leave the kids with them if i nd up in labor overnight, now i sdon't want them around us at all.

anyone have any true information for me, i am about to call the ob i see or the oncology dr and see what he thinks, i am really worried now..help.

saongiri 09-19-2007 04:55 PM

Re: FAST help please~ TB what happens if someone tests positive?

most likely she had positive ppd which is a screening for exposure to tb not actual tb- you might want to check with her about that first before upsetting yourself

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-19-2007 05:24 PM

Thanks sarah, i talked to my dr office, and spoke to a nurse and was told to find out what the dr's told my mil not to worry.
dh called his mom back, she tested positive because she is a carrier, she isn't actually infected, she doesn't actually have it.. i do feel alot better. i have heard of being a carrier and not being infected with other things from dd's oncology dr, i don't really understand but in a way feel better.

itsymama 09-19-2007 05:28 PM

Ya I would find out more , she could have had a positive skin test with neg chest x-rays , which would be that she has been exposed to someone with TB but does not have it , this is what happened to me + skin test - x-ray , I was told to do a 9 month course of something ( can't think of the name right now :banghead: ) but never have . Anyway if she does have TB then that's what you would probably be told to do , but ya find out more so you really know what is going on .

Prettylocks 09-19-2007 05:48 PM

It really isn't a big deal. Testing positive for TB just means that you have been exposed to it at some point in your life. They take chest xrays to see if you have active tuberculosis. If you do (which you would know- coughing up blood is hard not to notice), you have to be quarentined. Even if you don't have active tb, you take these pills for six months so that the tb won't become active.

I tested positive for exposure, had chest xrays (negative), and declined the pills because I wanted to ttc and I was pretty sure I had been exposed more than 4 years prior to the test. TB is most likely to become active within 4 years of exposure.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-19-2007 06:22 PM

Thank you all:goodvibes:

saongiri 09-19-2007 06:33 PM

glad everything is okay- it is pretty rare for a healthy adult that is not homeless or living in a institutional setting to have active tb but once you are exposed to it you will always test positive

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-19-2007 08:59 PM

Thanks sarah, i do feel alot better and mil has a dr appt tomorrow and will be asking more questions. dh asked his sister if she and the younger sister need to get tested for tb and she said no because the mom isn't infected just a carrier..? i do feel better but tomorrow after dh talks to her again i'm sure things will be fine:)