Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any Semi-Crunchy moms? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231120)

l_Kimmie_l 09-20-2007 06:00 PM

Any Semi-Crunchy moms?

I never really considered myself "crunchy" or even knew what it was till after being on a few online forums will I TT'ed for 2 1/2 years. I was 22 with DS #1 and a single mom. I co-slept for 6 years, wore him for 6 mos, BF for 3 mos (he weaned himself), had a unmedicated vaginal delivery with a midwife, and I think that was it.

This time I want another unmedicated vaginal delivery with a mid wife, BF for 12 months (will begin weaning then till 18 mos), will wear baby sometimes, cloth diaper, no circing if a boy, no co-sleeping (I hated it and it took forever to get my bed back), and sorry....but I am a CIO mom.

How many of you do some AP practices and not all? Please no flaming other's for their beleifs or I will ask this thread be deleted. I would like friendly talk with moms to see what works for each momma and why. I am willing to answer why to my beleifs if asked. This helps my get to know you all a little better.

TwinKristi 09-20-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Any Semi-Crunchy moms?

I definatly consider myself "semi-crunchy." We have implimented some "crunchy" things such as BWing, CDing, organic foods, more natural based cleaners, more recyclable stuff, less waste, etc but we just can't go totally crunchy!! I like my modern conveniences and occasional sposie! :blush:
Long before I even KNEW what crunchy meant, I was into nautral childbirth and could see the intervention cycle. I never really experienced it until I had an epidural w/ baby #5 but stood my ground and didn't let the dr step in and take charge, I made my wishes known and my nurse really helped advocate for me. I didn't want my baby to have an internal fetal monitor unless there was a serious threat and if that was the case I wanted to be informed and made aware. When the baby decended into my pelvis the external monitor couldn't read as easily without constant pressure by someone's hand and the Dr wanted to just put an IFM on but I said no way! That was NOT what I agreed to! My nurse agreed to hold the monitor in place to get a good read and it was really a good experience. Anyway... kinda went off on a tangent there!:blush:

l_Kimmie_l 09-20-2007 06:24 PM

I agree, we have to fight so hard to have the birthing experience that we want. No matter what type of birth you want.

We also do organics. Sposies will be in our home. I have never used cloth so if I get tired or stressed I want them....LOL!!!

TwinKristi 09-20-2007 06:29 PM

Yeah, sposies are always nice for when baby gets a rash or has a bout of diarrhea. Slather them in some zinc oxide stuff and don't worry about ruining a nice diaper! :giggle:

Mommy2Cadence 09-20-2007 06:31 PM

We are semi crucnchy here.
We are planning an unmedicated birth (didnt have one last time), we will not co sleep (I never want to take the risk), we will babywear and cloth diaper. I am trying to talk dh out of circum, but isnt working so ds will probably be circum.(He's seen the procedure, pics, etc.) We also CIO to an extent.

alasich 09-20-2007 06:36 PM

Another semi-crunchy mom. Our son is circ'ed (I regret it but no way would dh give in next time either), we try to eat mostly organic but we do love that McDonald's drive through on occasion, and dd is in sposies right now because she has been having loose poops for three days and I'm sick of cleaning diapers!!! Liners just don't cut it--I tried. Now she has a rash and we have some good ole Butt Paste on her. I had a medicated birth but I am reading Hypnobirthing (Mongan? I think?) right now and am planning a natural delivery next time (if I can ever convince dh to start TTC!!!).

I get highlights in my hair and have fake nails and get French pedicures--I always had this image of moms who bf beyond infancy and don't vax as not shaving their armpits and wearing flowing skirts. I know, silly stereotypes--please no flames. I do love flowing skirts though, but I just don't own any!

MamaSpi 09-20-2007 06:44 PM

I'm pretty semi-crunchy. DD was BF til 18 months, DS is currently. I wear sometimes, but love my double stroller too. DS is heavy and dd needs to be reined in sometimes!! I make my own baby food and my kids are veggie (because dh's personal beliefs, not health only). I co-slept until ds wanted to kick me all night and roll around. We are also a no-circ family. Just started cloth w/ds cuz dd was in daycare (no cloth allowed). Edited to add no CIO until 6 mos, then for no more than 5 mins.

l_Kimmie_l 09-20-2007 06:44 PM

Ohhhhh!!! Never knew about the zinc oxide cream!!! Even more of a reason for a case of sposies in the house at all times...LOL!!

Yeah...we CIO reasonably, nothing horrific. Sometimes babies just cry, no matter what you do. My DH wants circ too. Our insurence will not cover it though. I win, as he knows I will freak out. With my history of UTIs and yeast infections...so my children are prone. So uncirc can help prevent that for us. My 1st boy had them so bad it was awul. He grew out of them though.

MamaSpi 09-20-2007 06:45 PM

Hehehe sometimes I dont shave my pits, but its because of laziness more than cruchiness!

l_Kimmie_l 09-20-2007 06:48 PM

We will also be delaying vax's this time till much older. We are thinking 10 yrs or older. I dye my hair...I shave....but only when I am helped (knee injury so DH has to help with bathing and stuff). So far this PG McDonald's Chicken nuggets and apple pies are the best!!