Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need reciepes for freezer! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23202)

MistyP 07-18-2006 06:37 PM

Need reciepes for freezer!

I am wanting to stock up my freezer with some easy meals for after the baby but I need some more ideas!

So far:
Lasanga
Rice, broccoli, chicken casserole
Enchiladas

Thanks!!
Misty

twinsmomkatie 07-18-2006 07:26 PM

Re: Need reciepes for freezer!

Tater Tot Casserole:

1 bag of tater tots
1 lb. hamburger
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Put 1/2 of the (frozen) tatertots in the bottom of a 9x9 pan. Brown the hamburger (sometimes I add in onions, salt, pepper, whatever) and mix in the cream of mushroom soup + 1/2 can of water. Dump over the tater tots. Put the other half of the tater tots on top of the hamburger (or ground turkey, etc.), and freeze the whole thing. Cook 45 minutes at 375'.

I did this with both of my pregnancies, and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done! (patting self on back!) My church was very generous with meals, but I didn't feel like cooking for quite a while after the meals stopped coming, and this gave me some much-treasured sleep in those first days. In fact, I always have 1 or 2 meals in the freezer for those busy days.

Two things I have learned from experience . . .

A glass pan will crack if you take it right out of the freezer and put it into a preheated oven. Unless you have something that needs to rise (bread, dumplings, etc.,), put the glass pan into the cold oven and then turn it on. If they warm up together, the pan won't crack.

A lot of my recipes go in a 9x9 pan, and I don't want to have both my 9x9's out of service in the freezer for very long. So I line the 9x9 with foil, make the dish in it, and freeze it. Then I pop the frozen meal out of the pan (in its foil "wrapper") and put the whole thing into a freezer ziploc. When it's time to eat the meal, just pull it out of the freezer and pop it back into your 9x9. (This also helps with the above problem.)

I am totally in love with freezer cooking . . . the convenience of fast food, the nutrition of a home-cooked meal, the lower cost of a self-prepared meal, and the ability to "wow" my hubby on days I REALLY don't feel like it!

Another popular freezer staple here is spaghetti sauce - we put sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, onions, zucchini, and any garden vegetable in season into a huge pot of sauce and simmer it about half a day. Freeze in serving-size portions.

Also, things frozen flat in ziploc bags will stack up like books for excellent storage. Easy to label, too.

Okay, I've just given you WAY MORE INFORMATION than you were looking for - have fun!

Katie

Julesmom23girls 07-19-2006 08:45 AM

I am sure you are mostly looking for dinner ideas but here are a few for breakfast as well, or you can have breakfast for dinner. You have covered my favorite freezer meals.

Whenever I make pancakes or french toast I always make extra and freeze. I microwave the pancakes and put the french toast in the toaster. They come out great, and it beats paying for the exact same thing at the grocery store.

Also instead of freezing, consider a crockpot. Very little work on your part and yet at dinner time you have a hot meal ready. Some of my faves are roast (pork or beef) w/ potaotes and baby carrots, or take the roast and cook it all day shredd it w/ 2 forks and put bbq sauce on it for bbq sandwiches. You can also use the pulled meat and put salsa on it for tacos. I also like to make stew, this one can take a little more work, I like to use fresh veggies, but you could use frozen and canned. I just cut up whatever veggies I have (tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, zuchini) and throw it all in the crock. Let it cook all day, no added water needed, the veggies will release their juices as they cook. I am sure you could probably do this w/ frozen stuff, just thaw it first and throw it in, probably wouldn't have to cook as long, but I am not sure.

BambooMama 07-19-2006 10:32 AM

what i did before i delivered was make a lot of bean soups in the crock pot and froze them. dh is filipino so we eat a lot of rice (don't know if you do). we made things from basic slow cooker recipe books like multi-bean soup with ham (you can get the multi bean kits too at the grocery and just throw them in), or spicy red beans, or chili, or whatever. then we just defrost a jar of bean-stuff, turn on the rice cooker, throw the bean-stuff on the rice and chow. beans freeze/thaw really well and are really good protein sources for both soon to be and just-became mammas!!

also, we just made other types of soup that are good to be made in the slow cooker and froze them for lunches. lately when DH is out of town (I have a 9 week old), i wouldn't eat if it wasn't for those jars of soup!!! in general, i've found that if you can make it in the slow cooker, it's probably good frozen/defrosted. i hate stuff that doesn't freeze well, so i'm kinda picky.

good luck!!!

Paulette 07-19-2006 10:47 AM

I made Goulash which is basically anything you have lying around mixed with macaroni noodles and tomato sauce. I add corn, red beans, and ground beef and season to taste. Freezes really well. I have also made gnocchi, and have some of those jarred sauces to go over it. Spaghetti Sauce, Black Beans, and Fried Rice all froze well. It is much easier to fill the freezer if you make a double or triple recipe when you are cooking something. Not much more work, and you only dirty one set of dishes.

sparkygirl74 07-19-2006 10:58 AM

Well our freezer unplugged last week, so we had to cook everything ing there, and then froze a ton of meals. We did...

Turky & Gravy (I will just make some potatoes or stuffing to go with this. It also makes great sandwiches

Chicken soup (used up a bunch of frozen chicken and veddies)

Venison stew (beef would be as good)

Chilie

Pasta, Sausage, Sauce and cheese casserole (pretty self explanetory)

Bean Soup

Pea Soup

Turky Stock and soup meat from the carcass

Ham

I won't have to cook for a loooooong time!

ahisma 07-19-2006 11:05 AM

I love to freeze fruit from the farmer's market and then use it through the winter to make fruit smoothies in the blender:)

I'm freezing food for after our baby is born too, but all of my recipes are vegetarian. Let me know if you're interested in those...I'm happy to type a few up.

kht2006 07-19-2006 11:18 AM

I froze some of the same things you did. My favorite is turkey brocolli rice cassarole. yum. I also browned some ground turkey (you could use beef) to use in spagetti sauce, sloppy joes, and goolosh, and some grilled chicken breasts that my husband made on the grill. I cut some of the breasts into chunks to use in quick stir fryed dishes. I stocked up on rice, canned soups, frozen fruit and vegetables. I also made some bananna smoothie popsicles unmolded them and stored them in zip locks. It is sooo hot here. It's the only way I get enough dairy...
HTH. Karen

wbkt8 07-19-2006 11:22 AM

i always like to do spaghetti (meat) sauce. it's easy to just heat up while you're boiling the pasta. i also do chili for the freezer.

soups - taco soup, split pea, etc.

we also like to do stir frys, so i browned some stew beef (cooked it til it was nice & tender) and cooked up & shredded a bunch of chicken thighs. Then used frozen stir fry veggies which I almost always have in the freezer.

pretty much any casserole too.

rrandle used to have an awesome list of freezer recipes posted in this forum (on the old site)....hopefully she'll post them again (if they're not already here).

MistyP 07-19-2006 03:10 PM

Wow!! Thanks everyone! There is some great ideas :happyclap: