Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Oh the smell (puke) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23294)

imommy 07-19-2006 06:48 AM

Oh the smell (puke)

:yuck: The diaper pail is really smelling strongly of urine...well duh...but my question is what do you all use? I have some pail pals or whatever you call those things on order from Northern Essence. I've tried tea tree oil and it does nothing. When I open up the pail to put a dipe in I about faint or at least feel like puking because of the stench. I guess it smells like ammonia? :headscratch:

I need to come up with a solution because it's so strong that sometimes you can smell it when you walk into the room. :yuck: Someone, anyone, have a solution for me? It's mostly the pail that has the prefolds in it. We have two, one for fitteds and AIOs and one for prefolds. Is there a better solution for the prefolds stench? I know they tend to stink more in general than other diapers (in my experience anyway).

Thoughts? I literally almost fainted yesterday when I opened it up and I'm not one to have a weak stomach with smells. :blush:

lararum 07-19-2006 07:04 AM

Re: Oh the smell (puke)

Well, I wash every other day. After I put the dipes in the washer I spray the pail with simple green and wipe it out. If the stench was really bad, I would also wipe it down with a bit of tto. I don't use a wet bag. We don't usually have a bad stink problem.

ShelleyD 07-19-2006 07:10 AM

I exclusively use prefolds and sometimes the pail sure stinks. I clean the pail with soap and water when that happens since the pail is plastic and I think that it holds the stink. I also made deodiscs. I followed a link someone posted somewhere else but basically you just put some essential oils (I used TTO) in a little water and add it to baking soda to make a thick paste. Put it in muffin cups and leave out to dry out overnight. It's made a huge difference in my pail and it cost next to nothing. I used some deodiscs from BRU (got as a gift at my baby shower) and they did nothing but these homeade ones are awesome.

Shelley

imommy 07-19-2006 07:16 AM

Great! I'll try some deodiscs today! Woohoo! Thanks mamas!

Eliza-Bella 07-19-2006 07:20 AM

I think I'll try that too. Our dipes have been soooo stinky lately and TTO alone gave them a weird smell.

Summer 07-19-2006 07:25 AM

After I empty my pail in the washer, I have a spray bottle of lemon juice and spray it all around the insides of the pail and then rinse with the diaper sprayer and pour it down. You can also just mist the insides with the lemon juice and leave it since it won't hurt the diapers.

carolynanne 07-19-2006 07:33 AM

I will sometimes put a scoop of baking soda in the bottom. Works wonderfully.

imommy 07-19-2006 07:49 AM

Maybe I'll do it all. It surely can't hurt. :rofl:

rowynne 07-19-2006 08:55 AM

I have one of the refridgerator boxes of baking soda at the bottom of mine & homemade deodisks too.

myajdw 07-19-2006 09:53 AM

bleaching the pail out and rinsing well sure wouldn't hurt anything either mama. i know our trashcan alone gets stinky, i do believe plastic holds stink no matter what you line it with lol. i just either use bleach or simple green on our trashcan about once a week...i'm sure the same would work for your diaper pail!